New Carbon Interface on Hopper with Sling - positives and negatives

Sorry if the above post come off as mean spirited. i guess I was just frustrated by the fact the update did not work and it came out at littleclud319. I apologize sir.

It’s apparently being slowly made available. The reason I said it’s manual is because there focused on releasing the CUI yet and won’t push this one until everyone has the CUI. It will slowly be available for manual download until then though.

Hopper w/Sling
40.0 remote in UHF mode
Washington DC Suburbs

Cons:
  • Guide - Lag with information display
    • 3 second lag on top of information display when hitting select to go into a channel/program that's highlighted
      In Guide - arrow'd down three channels hit select, and it wasn't until after the guide had updated to show that channels' information before it would change.

• general lag - before, I could cause the guide to quickly jump to local range by doing 00900 and the guide would jump there nearly instantly, now its a lag of about 2 seconds regardless, the same as any other attempt to jump the guide in channels displayed.

This lag only existed before, when you'd type a channel number that *did* have a -xx side channel indicator (like local digitals). So like before, if I'd only type 009 the system would pause while it decided if you were going to put something else in, then jump to cbs channel 9

• Lag lag lag ... :( page up/page down, anything guide related is noticeably slower, even up/down arrowing :( the only good thing about this appears to be that it drops the input that it can't handle.

example, go into guide, press the page down then page up back and forth repeatedly ... you will see it drop key presses as the guide tries to keep up with any recent key press. Dropping the additional key presses means you can't press X key a number of times (say arrow down) knowing how many you would have pressed before to get to a spot in the guide.

The good in that, is if you stop pressing the page up/page down and back and forth, you're not left waiting for the guide to stop jumping because the buffer had filled with like 10 or 20 key presses before it responds to something else.
  • Guide - waste of space by moving current highlighted information to the right side, could've had 3 hr 4 hr or even 5 hour guide options instead

• *it* (the update) turned on PTAT (argg!!! and of course new menus to dig to find it)
    if you go into DVR you have to go into PTAT before the red "options" button gives you a settings selection which lets you go and turn it off

otherwise on the first "menu" screen is a PTAT that takes you into the recordings, you'd have to go into settings then the PTAT there before finding the

• loss of multi-speed slow, now its either 1/4 or frame or pause/still, no 1/15th ? or what ever speed it was.
    and attempting to hit FF once jumped to 15x, before it was pause -> 1/15th -> 1/4th -> 1 -> ? (thought there was a 2 or 4 x then 15)​
  • Closed Captions - Is it me or have they suddenly gotten 2 steps ahead? I started to notice this in Netflix last night after the upgrade. The words on the screen showing up before said, sometimes too early. Alternatively they were they just super slowed on the previous version?

watching Marvel's The Avengers on FX, Colson has a line and ends with "super safe" .. to which Thor is going to respond "Thank you" and the "thank you" is on screen just as Colson says "super safe"

there's lots of this .. a 7 or 8 word sentence on and gone, replaced by someone's response before the sentence is finished, and well before the "responder" is in frame to say their response.

other thought it maybe its one of the different CC options, and like the update turning on PTAT maybe it also changed which CC option?provider? it was on? and here's where the # and ? in the menu show their weaknesses ... no depth. You get a surface type answer, but no additional information. The receiver is on the internet, I could hope it would have either given additional information about the difference in the CC providers .. I see it starting at 1, then 0, 2 ~ 6 ... or a link that I could select on screen or choose to copy to put into a web browser (a QR code to make it easier for cell phones, but not as the only option to show more info) or even a reminder "go to dish.xxx.com to see more..."
Lame topic. How about watching TV? (Dish Customer since 1996)

Is it possible that the Hopper/Dish will only make (at this time) U235 available if the dual tuner OTA dongle is detected?
I believe they could but someone without the dual-tuner dongle got the update so it's not the case after all. If it's like most s/w releases, it's going out in waves.

Even if someone has the dual-tuner dongle, they'll live until their receiver ends up getting it.... I mean, they've been fine without it already. ;)

No. In my case it is there so that is not the case. It must be that it is not quite available to all of us (even as a manual download) just yet.

Well one thing hasn't changed, the out of nowhere unannounced reboots at all hours of the day.

And now the guide is updating. Well there goes any hope for that being fixed.

I believe they could but someone without the dual-tuner dongle got the update so it's not the case after all. If it's like most s/w releases, it's going out in waves.

Even if someone has the dual-tuner dongle, they'll live until their receiver ends up getting it.... I mean, they've been fine without it already. ;)
I suppose now that there's a software release available supporting the dual tuner, it's finally time to get the dual tuner dongle, so I ordered one from the Dish Depot. $59.99 no tax and free shipping. Not bad considering the single tuner dongle I got a couple of years ago cost $40. My HWS is still on U234 but hopefully, not for much longer.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Eureka! Chester the wonder dog woke me up at 6 Am and I decided to try again. It worked flawlessly this time.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yesterday I did the manual update and got U235 for my HWS. Everything seems unaffected so I wonder what else if anything the U235 "improved" other than adding the OTA dual tuner capability.

It's been stated that U500 for the H3 and U235 for the H2 added nothing more than dual-tuner support. I doubt very much that this is 100% accurate but if there are other changes, they are no doubt pretty discrete ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts