New Carbon Interface on Hopper with Sling - positives and negatives

It's been stated that U500 for the H3 and U235 for the H2 added nothing more than dual-tuner support. I doubt very much that this is 100% accurate but if there are other changes, they are no doubt pretty discrete ones.

Both enable dual OTA and may have fixed some bugs. Some have said U500 should be major bug fixes but I see it as bringing it up so they can follow the pattern they have set already. (U1xx=H1, U2xx=H2,U3xx=SJ,U4xx=4KJ, now U5xx=H3)

Reactions: charlesrshell
...the pattern they have set already. (U1xx=H1, U2xx=H2,U3xx=SJ,U4xx=4KJ...
Interesting.... Did Dish change the prefix for the Joey s/w ? I currently have

W150, W204, U279, U480

The "W" s/w is for the wireless Joey, U279 was the Joey 2, and U480 is for the 4K Joey. What happened to Joey 1 and SuperJoey s/w ?

W150, W204, U279, U480

The "W" s/w is for the wireless Joey, U279 was the Joey 2, and U480 is for the 4K Joey. What happened to Joey 1 and SuperJoey s/w ?

Hopper 3's don't get the Joey 1 or Super Joey software because they're incompatible.

What about the versioning scheme they use though ? I guess someone with an H1 or H2 could show the numbers their receivers list.

W150, W204, U279, U480

J1 is also U1xx and J2 is U2xx. WJ is W1xx for V1 and W2xx for V2

It's still short-sighted. I don't know if it's in this thread or a different one where I mentioned/asked this, but what happens when they reach U199, U299, U399, U499, and U599 ?

Both enable dual OTA and may have fixed some bugs. Some have said U500 should be major bug fixes but I see it as bringing it up so they can follow the pattern they have set already. (U1xx=H1, U2xx=H2,U3xx=SJ,U4xx=4KJ, now U5xx=H3)
Just to add to this, the Wally is also U4xx. I have a Wally with U419. Is there any word on when dual OTA will be enabled on the Wally?

This Upgrade absolutely SUCKS.

They have CRIPPLED the search function. Movie search only shows 9 titles, can't search by genre or star rating.

Functionality has been severely REDUCED.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!

This Upgrade absolutely SUCKS.

They have CRIPPLED the search function. Movie search only shows 9 titles, can't search by genre or star rating.

Functionality has been severely REDUCED.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!

I agree. I used to search for science fiction movies and it would return about 100 results every time. Now if I search for "science fiction", I get about 3 or 4 results for movies with "science fiction" in the title. Kind of useless!

Reactions: SandFarmer
I am going to really miss being able to press the # to search for what program is being played or selected.

Since it was going to be a forced switchover next week, I decided to do the download on my HWS last night.

So now I have U235 (sounds like I'm making an atomic bomb) and have a few thoughts and one BIG problem.

First the problem - my 2 EHDs won't show up for transfers, although their recordings look fine. Don't understand how I can have one without the other. Of course have tried multiple resets, including an unplug/plug. Still no ability to transfer. I'm planning on an H3 shortly and would much prefer EHD transfers than the (I hear) very slow coax transfer.

Then the issue I was worried about - pausing and resuming. Recorded CBS This morning as usual, while another tuner was separately Autotuned, as was my OTA. Paused, went out for a bike ride, came back (after show's ending), and my pause point was lost. Previously I could come back and it would still be paused, even if the program was over. But then tested with a new recording and rather then give a Resume, just had an option of Play, but it was from the proper point. So that's fine.

And like many others, I miss 4X, but I'll get used to it.

I'm sure there'll be more surprises, but so far, OK.

Here's something else they took away that I don't believe I've seen anyone else mention, but that I used ALL the time...
If you wanted to page ahead "x" number of hours in the guide, all you had to do is key in a number & press the RIGHT ARROW, & it took you exactly into that time zone. (eg: to page ahead 15 hours, just press 1,5,RIGHT ARROW) Now, I have to sit there & keep pressing the SKIP FORWARD button over & over now, to do the same thing...which of course NOW only goes in 2.5 hour chunks. :mad:

Reactions: pattykay
Any one else see drastic storage changes for Hopper w Sling? I went from 30% full to 70% full on my storage after upgrade. The percentages matched after update initially, but then jumped up overnight. I even deleted quite a bit to ensure it wasn't some error beforehand.

Is it now reserving space for some feature I need to turn off? I never used the feature to record 6 shows at once (including the main networks) before. Assuming that is PTAT. Perhaps that's turned on & blocking off HDD space?

IIRC a certain portion of the HDD is reserved for VOD & PTAT.

No way the upgrade itself took up that much HDD space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)