New Construction?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

frankcastle

Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
I have already learned a bunch from what I have read, but I can't quite get the grasp of exaclty what I am looking to do. I have been a DTV subscriber from the 2nd year it was available, and a DTV with TiVo subcrber for about 2-3 years. Here's what I've got, and here's what I am trying to do. Maybe someone here can help me. I have an oval dish with 3 LNB, an RCA DTV w/Tivo in the living room, a standard Hughes reciever in the bedroom, and a 2nd identical Hughes receiver in the basement. We are finishing our basment ( bedrooms, living room etc.) Before I finish the walls, I would like to run all the cables in the walls, and have jacks throught all the rooms. Is there any way to take the one line going downstairs, and run it all around the basment, and put about 8-10 coax wall plates in? The purpose of this is so that the rooms can be re-arranged, and there would be a jack to connect the tv to. Could you put a 2 way splitter at each wall plate and just jumper it to the next one. Kinda like you would with your electrical from receptical to receptical. I am also thinkibng of maybe adding a 2nd TiVo reciever downstairs to replace the Hughes. What would I need to do for that? I hope this makes sense, and I hope someone can help. Thanks

frankcastle said:
I have already learned a bunch from what I have read, but I can't quite get the grasp of exaclty what I am looking to do. I have been a DTV subscriber from the 2nd year it was available, and a DTV with TiVo subcrber for about 2-3 years. Here's what I've got, and here's what I am trying to do. Maybe someone here can help me. I have an oval dish with 3 LNB, an RCA DTV w/Tivo in the living room, a standard Hughes reciever in the bedroom, and a 2nd identical Hughes receiver in the basement. We are finishing our basment ( bedrooms, living room etc.) Before I finish the walls, I would like to run all the cables in the walls, and have jacks throught all the rooms. Is there any way to take the one line going downstairs, and run it all around the basment, and put about 8-10 coax wall plates in? The purpose of this is so that the rooms can be re-arranged, and there would be a jack to connect the tv to. Could you put a 2 way splitter at each wall plate and just jumper it to the next one. Kinda like you would with your electrical from receptical to receptical. I am also thinkibng of maybe adding a 2nd TiVo reciever downstairs to replace the Hughes. What would I need to do for that? I hope this makes sense, and I hope someone can help. Thanks

First, welcome to satguys. :)

Second, no splitters! It is not cabletv, it is a totally different thing. :)

Your dish has 4 coax outputs coming from it, you will want a 4x8 (for 8 lines or a 4x12 for 12 lines, etc) multiswitch (cascadable), ALL 4 coax from the dish must go into the 4 side of the 4x8, then you'll have 8 (or 12) from the 8 (or 12) side of the multiswitch, one for each wall plate (remember, you will need 2 jacks for each DVR, as they have 2 tuners, did I mention, no splitters?), and remember, no splitters.

Edit: Re-reading your post, you may mean, if you can use splitters between the TV(wall jacks) and DVR outputs (i.e. each tv on it would have to watch the same thing the rest of the TVs that are on the same split are), if that is the case, YES, you can use splitters, but no splitters between the dish/multiswitch and the STB.

Last edited:
Lets see if I can clear it up a little. I am not trying to add multiple receivers to the wall plates. I just want to be able to move my receiver, to different locations and have a place to connect it. I would also like to replace my standard receiver with Tivo in the future. That why I thought it would work if I just split it and then jump it to the next receiver.

You need a cable (not split) running from any outlet location directly to the dish or a multi-switch. You cannot split the coax cable like you would/could with a cable service or as you pointed out as example electrical outlets.

In the circumstance you describe, you could run a cable from each of these locations to a multi-switch and then only connect the one(s) that you are currently using.

Anywhere you might want to use a tivo, you will need to run 2 cables directly to the dish or multiswitch.

Run all your cables back to a central location, If it was my house I would run Three RG6 and Two cat5e to each location, I probably wouldn't have more than two locations per room either, with a normal bedroom how many walls can you actually place a bed?? Hope that answers your question.... The cat5e I use two colors (Grey/Blue) one for voice the other for data...

When I wired my house, I ran Four RG6 and Three Cat5e, and actually used them all.... :> (Tivo, OTA, and 1 coax to send a picture somewhere else in the house only using 1 receiver.) Just try to plan what you are going to be doing in each room... )

Last edited:
I agree you need a minimum of 2 coax and 1 cat5 to each of your locations in the basement. All Home runned to your distribution point. 3 Coax would be recommended if you are planning a tivo and possible OTA, although you could get away with 2 coax and Diplexers, but I would stick to 3 coax. Even if you don't use all three at least they will be available to use. Are you installing a Drop ceiling in your basement? If so... I would save the money and just run it where you want it now.. and if you are installing a drop ceiling it can always be moved to a new location with ease. If you are planning on drywalling the basement ceiling then... Plan, plan, plan and run lots of wire!!...

homthtr said:
I agree you need a minimum of 2 coax and 1 cat5 to each of your locations in the basement. All Home runned to your distribution point. 3 Coax would be recommended if you are planning a tivo and possible OTA, although you could get away with 2 coax and Diplexers, but I would stick to 3 coax. Even if you don't use all three at least they will be available to use. Are you installing a Drop ceiling in your basement? If so... I would save the money and just run it where you want it now.. and if you are installing a drop ceiling it can always be moved to a new location with ease. If you are planning on drywalling the basement ceiling then... Plan, plan, plan and run lots of wire!!...

you can't diplex with new dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)