New Contract Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cobra611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Beacon, NY
When a new customer signs up with DirecTV, the contract is for 24 months, while most (if not all) of the promotions expire after just 12 months. I was curious to know if they've ever been willing to extend the promotions for the length of the contract, when signing up a new customer if the potential new customer negotiated for it?

people have said that sales tells them that. but the email confirmation and the bills show different

never depend on credits
always look at the full price and be prepared to pay it at some point

I signed about a year and a half ago and the promotion was $50 for 24 months. The bill always said that the promotion will end after the 12 month but I am still paying only $50 a month. Unfortunately, I hate their service (lots of problems with no solutions), when the contract ends I am switching back to Dish.

I signed about a year and a half ago and the promotion was $50 for 24 months. The bill always said that the promotion will end after the 12 month but I am still paying only $50 a month. Unfortunately, I hate their service (lots of problems with no solutions), when the contract ends I am switching back to Dish.
What problems are you having with Directv?

I posted about one of my problems here which apparently existed for many years and Directv is not wiling or capable of fixing it.

When pressing the Skip forward and back, almost on a daily basis (I don't watch any live TV with commercials), the recording will skip to the end or the beginning of the recording. I don't understand how people tolerate such crap!
https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/4268655/edit
Second problem, periodically half (or so) of my recording list would disappear on my HR54 (on the minis the list will be fine) and the only way to recover all my recording list would be to reset the HR54. I never reported this problem here because I already decided to switch to Dish when my contract expires. I don't know if this problem is common or not, it would be interesting to find out. I am not positive now but I think this problem existed only when the HD become more than half full. Again, such a problem is not acceptable!

I used to have Dish for many years and never experience any problems especially from a mature system.

i have seen the first issues about once a year on my hr34
the second issue, i have nver seen, but have hear of list issues with the new software

I posted about one of my problems here which apparently existed for many years and Directv is not wiling or capable of fixing it.

When pressing the Skip forward and back, almost on a daily basis (I don't watch any live TV with commercials), the recording will skip to the end or the beginning of the recording. I don't understand how people tolerate such crap!
Second problem, periodically half (or so) of my recording list would disappear on my HR54 (on the minis the list will be fine) and the only way to recover all my recording list would be to reset the HR54. I never reported this problem here because I already decided to switch to Dish when my contract expires. I don't know if this problem is common or not, it would be interesting to find out. I am not positive now but I think this problem existed only when the HD become more than half full. Again, such a problem is not acceptable!

I used to have Dish for many years and never experience any problems especially from a mature system.
I believe your holding the button to long ... if you want multiple :30 second skips, tap 3-4 times, don't hold.

Reactions: upsss

Direct continually updates and changes things to keep fresh ... DISH hasn't changed anything in years (other than a few recvrs)

Jimbo, I know how to use this stupid remote. I also know that if you want to jump to the end or the beginning of the recording you have to hold down the button for at least 4 second, that is not what I am doing when I want to skip 30 sec at a time. This problem existed for many years and was reported here and all over the internet, I didn't "discover" a new problem.

The reason that "Direct continually updates and changes things" is that every time they release a new update they supposedly "fix" one problem and introduce 10 new problems! If your system is working as intended there is no need to "change things to keep it fresh". As a EE with over 30 years of hardware and software design experience, you never make your entire customer base your beta testers, that is exactly what Directv has been doing for many years!

Last edited:

There used to be a bundle option with AT&T where if you also ordered internet you would get 24 month pricing.

Since Directv and AT&T billing systems are still screwed up and don’t talk to each other, I was a check box for either 12 or 24 month promos.

We always checked the 24 month option, because if you clicked the 12 month they would give the promo for 12 months, and act like a**holes refusing to modify the work order later if the customer ordered internet.

So we figured check 24 month for everyone and let them figure out who should not get credits in year 2

Jimbo, I know how to use this stupid remote. I also know that if you want to jump to the end or the beginning of the recording you have to hold down the button for at least 4 second, that is not what I am doing when I want to skip 30 sec at a time. This problem existed for many years and was reported here and all over the internet, I didn't "discover" a new problem.

The reason that "Direct continually updates and changes things" is that every time they release a new update they supposedly "fix" one problem and introduce 10 new problems! If your system is working as intended there is no need to "change things to keep it fresh". As a EE with over 30 years of hardware and software design experience, you never make your entire customer base your beta testers, that is exactly what Directv has been doing for many years!
If you KNOW ....
Why did you LIKE my post stating to tap, don't hold ... ?

Btw, How was I to know this fact they you KNOW ?

Hopefully others that read the post may learn as well.

Sounds like you have a faulty remote. I've never had one do that.

I have Dish, they have very good equipment, but I can assure you, it is not free from buggy software. There was an ‘update’ to the Hopper 2 and 3 a while back that made them unable to ‘see’ other Hopper’s on the same network to share playlists. It took 4 months to get this fixed. Just don’t think that Dish is immune from problems, every provider has them.

Reactions: Jimbo
I am NOT new to satellite TV. For the past 10 years I had Dish and Direct, and switched back and forth. Every time I switched I got each company's new generation hardware (which was my main reason for switching). As a very experience Hardware and Software Design EE I have no doubt that the Dish hardware and software is superior and probably I will never again switch to Direct. Both companies have Hardware and software problems but Direct problems seems to be endless. Every time they "fix" one problem they introduce several new problems. BTW, this problem with skipping to the beginning or end of recording existed for many years and they never even attempted to fix it.

actually the software on the hr24 and hr34 is very nice, very few bugs.

the hs17 is a general POS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)