New D* ad advertising 130 HD channels by end of year!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChrisPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
TN USA
I just saw a new D* ad on Fox tonight. It stated they'd have 130 HD channels by the end of 2008. I hadn't seen this one before; it has Robert Patrick playing the T-1000 in Terminator 2.

i've seen that commercial several times but admit i have never heard him mention 130 hd channels by the end of the year.

If its the one with him in the helicoptor, I may have to pay closer attention but I dont recall any mention of 130 HD channels by end of the year

That is still 20 national hd short of what many here want (including myself) in 150 hd channels by year end. Then again we are not yet up to 100 hd national hd on the current system.

Well, assuming Chris saw the ad correctly, there we have it. expect 35 new nationals by Christmas.

Now to point out, several of these are expected to be more movie plex channels (HBO etc) and part-time RSNs going to 24 hr RSNs.

That is still 20 national hd short of what many here want (including myself) in 150 hd channels by year end. Then again we are not yet up to 100 hd national hd on the current system.
Count all of those part time stations like Dish does and they are already near 130. :D

Count all of those part time stations like Dish does and they are already near 130. :D
No E* just counts RSN's (wrongly) E* just uses the bandwidth for thenm when HD programming is availble rather than duplicate SD programming like other providers do. The actual truth is that both providers will have about 60 HD channels as of Aug 1st. I am only counting "true nationals not RSN's, PPV or OTA networks"

No E* just counts RSN's (wrongly) E* just uses the bandwidth for thenm when HD programming is availble rather than duplicate SD programming like other providers do. The actual truth is that both providers will have about 60 HD channels as of Aug 1st. I am only counting "true nationals not RSN's, PPV or OTA networks"
Clarity. Direct has both full time HD RSNs and part time game only HD RSNs. Dish only has part time game only HD RSNs. Dish counts these part time game only HD RSNs as part of their total while Direct does not count these same exact channels as part of their total. The fact remains that if Direct counted using the Dish's counting standards they would currently be over 100 HD channels.

I do dissagree with you on counting full time HD RSNs. This is just a matter of opinion though. I have no problem with these full time RSNs being counting on Direct since every single sub anywhere in the USA can watch them 24/7 if they choose to pay for it. It is no different then paying extra for the premium channels. Before you mention blackouts of pro games, those too are avoided by paying for the individual sports packages. Since these out of market RSNs are available to anyone full time, there is no reason why they should not count.

My personal version of counting would be just that: If everyone has the ability to see the channel if I choose too. Period. If I can sub to the premiums they count, whether I choose to or not. There is the major difference concerning the RSN's. On D* I can (and do) receive them, on E* I can only receive a select few. I wish more folks would understand this!!

My personal version of counting would be just that: If everyone has the ability to see the channel if I choose too. Period. If I can sub to the premiums they count, whether I choose to or not. There is the major difference concerning the RSN's. On D* I can (and do) receive them, on E* I can only receive a select few. I wish more folks would understand this!!

Honestly, I don't care what others choose as their own criteria - it doesn't really matter does it? I would like however for the SAME criteria to be used for both - whatever that criteria is - shouldn't that the true basis for any comparison?

And the fact remains that if you take a look at the channels DirecTV is including in their '95' channel count - it DOES include both the East and West Big 4 Network feeds (which I think is NOT RIGHT - they should only count as 4 IMHO, not 8 total), and also their 15 HD PPV channels (DISH also counts its HD PPV channels so this is a wash), but they only include their FULL-TIME HD RSNS, they DO NOT include the game-only HD RSN (but DISH does).

Using DirecTVs method would reduce DISH's count by 24 channels (if I add correctly), while using DISHs method would INCREASE DirecTVs count by 19 channels. But whichever one you use - it doesn't change the net results of who has more channels.

Agree...PPV's kinda funky in those counts. I mean...what if they had a hundred of them and they only showed a movie on each once per day?

on fox during the all star game, during a directv plug, they said switch to directv if you want 130 hd channels in hd "this summer"....

I just saw a new D* ad on Fox tonight. It stated they'd have 130 HD channels by the end of 2008. I hadn't seen this one before; it has Robert Patrick playing the T-1000 in Terminator 2.

i've seen that commercial several times but admit i have never heard him mention 130 hd channels by the end of the year.

Same here.
I guess I'll have to pay attention next time I see it on. :)

Jimbo

on fox during the all star game, during a directv plug, they said switch to directv if you want 130 hd channels in hd "this summer"....

I saw the same commercial.... :)

The one with the guy from the Terminator 2 was on a few seconds ago and there was NO word of how many HD channels were available AT ALL.

Jimbo

With all ad campaigns there are likely very similar, yet differing versions of the same spot for special markets based on cost./time considerations. I wouldn't worry over it though.

With all ad campaigns there are likely very similar, yet differing versions of the same spot for special markets based on cost./time considerations. I wouldn't worry over it though.

Yes, but at this particular moment we were all watching the same commercial.
I will listen more closely when this commercial comes on now.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts