New D* Customer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

logixrat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Well I took the plunge this weekend, and ordered D* service. The installer is coming on Wednesday to hook up everything. I certainly hope it will be better than my E* experience I delved into Jan '06.

I think I got a pretty sweet deal:

- Top Choice programming - $29.99 first 3 months, $44.99 remainder w/ locals included
- Free DVR unit now & I can order a second one later. For the 2nd one, I pay $100 upfront but get a $99 mail-in rebate, making it only $1 to me
- Free portable DVD player
- Free HBO, Cinemax, Starz & Showtime for 3 months (D* automatically rolls off after the freebie period according to the CSR)
- $150 cash back payable in 15 monthly credits of $10/mo

As long as the picture quality holds up to my expectations and demands, I will be very pleased. For the 3 months I will be saving $35/mo over cable, then the next 15 months will be $30/mo cheaper and the remainder of the contract will be $20/mo cheaper than cable. The price is definitely right.

Anything I should be concerned or worried about?

logixrat said:
Well I took the plunge this weekend, and ordered D* service. The installer is coming on Wednesday to hook up everything. I certainly hope it will be better than my E* experience I delved into Jan '06.

I think I got a pretty sweet deal:

- Top Choice programming - $29.99 first 3 months, $44.99 remainder w/ locals included

TOTAL CHOICE, NOT TOP CHOICE

- Free DVR unit now & I can order a second one later. For the 2nd one, I pay $100 upfront but get a $99 mail-in rebate, making it only $1 to me

$99.00 UPFRONT, $100.00 REBATE

- Free portable DVD player

WOW THE DVD IS REALLY NICE!! THE SIZE OF MY KIDS WALKMAN.

- Free HBO, Cinemax, Starz & Showtime for 3 months (D* automatically rolls off after the freebie period according to the CSR)

NOPE,YOU BETTER CALL BACK TO 1.800.531.5000 AND CANCEL THE PREMIUMS 89 DAYS LATER.

- $150 cash back payable in 15 monthly credits of $10/mo

ONLY IF YOU PAID $150.00 UP FRONT

As long as the picture quality holds up to my expectations and demands, I will be very pleased. For the 3 months I will be saving $35/mo over cable, then the next 15 months will be $30/mo cheaper and the remainder of the contract will be $20/mo cheaper than cable. The price is definitely right.

Anything I should be concerned or worried about?

The installer will be in an easter bunny suit.

Last edited:
logixrat,

That is a good deal. I'm really looking forward to what I'm offered. I've already got a stand alone replaytv that with a minor mod will work with the receiver I've order, so I won't need a dvr but free doesn't sound bad at all.

That 150 cash back sounds good. What's that for? Is it a straight discount prorated over the 15 months?

1. You are right, it's the Total Choice, not Top Choice.

2. Yeah, it's probably cheesy. But I'm sure I can use it on road trips, etc.

3. Just FYI, there was no out-of-pocket charge for the 1st unit. You are probably right on the costs for the second unit. In that case, I make a buck. Either way I'm happy.

4. I figured the CSR was smoking crack when he said the premiums roll off *automatically*. I even made a point to discuss that and told him that was very odd. He reassured me several times this was how it worked. Not a prob though, I will just set an appointment in my Outlook to remind me.

5. In regards to the $150 rebate, I think you are mistaken. Here is the website I was given. Reading the fine print of the rebate I don't see any verbiage about having to pay $150 in fees to get the money back.

http://www.getdirectv.com/150download.asp

6. The installer can wear any thing he wants as long as he keeps to himself and hooks my satellite up so I get a superb picture...hehe.

Good luck with the picture quality. If you have a 52" high quality HDTV or smaller you should be fine. If larger I would recommed not signed a dang thing till you actually see local SD channels and HD channels both and make sure you are happy. Once you sign, your stuck with it.

Hi logixrat,

On your point 4. I had to laugh because I wouldn't trust that either, but it's easy enough to call in and cancel if I decide not keep the added service, once I sign on.

On point 5. if you'r refering to my question, I was curious if it's a straight 150 discount of 10 dollars a month for 15 months, without the purchase of something or other. I guess I read that 150 cash back, as a requirment to buy something, and then you're given "cash back" on the initial outlay, but I get the sense that it's really just 150 dollars off, given 10 dollars a month for 15 months which really is appealing.

Free is always nice.

I wonder what they're offering to new non dvr/hd subscribers.

In regards to the $150 cash back offer, I honestly believe it to be an added bonus for new customers only. I paid ZERO dollars out of pocket, and the CSR made a point to give me the link. In the fine details I see no verbiage saying you had to spend X amount to get the money. Only that you must keep your account in "good standing". And yes, it's a $10/mo credit on your bill, no direct cash.

About the picture quality issue. I have a 55" Toshiba rear projection standard definition TV. It is about 3 years old. I have no plans of going to HD anytime soon. I like the 16:9 format and the higher signal feed, but funds just won't allow it. Plus I want something more along the lines of an LCD unit that is only a few inches thick. Actually I think there is a better quality than LCD, but you get my point.

I made a big deal to the D* CSR about the picture quality. I explained the reason I cancelled my E* service earlier this year was because of crappy PQ. He assured me I had a 7 day cancellation period to "preview" the service and cancel if I was unhappy. While I would like NO contract, that is better than the 3 day period E* provides you, not to mention E* tries to rip your skin off when/if you do cancel. I didn't think I was going to get out of my last contract but after several attempts I found a good CSR that worked with me.

I am hopeful things will work out. The price difference between cable & satellite is rather substantial as I already pointed out. And with 1/2 your channels on analog signal, it's not the best service either. Probably if my cable company was all digital I would just pay the extra. It's really more about chosing the less of 2 evils in my opinion. And in this case D* has thrown enough money/savings to make it attractive enough to try and make it work. If it's at least on par or better than the analog signal, then I'm ahead.

Well alot of people think E* PQ is better then D*.
In my opinion mylocals on E* are better than D* but as far as the rest of the SD channels they look pretty close to me.

I dont think D* is gonna be better PQ though.

Not what I wanted to hear telecaster. :(

The main problem I had with E* was my locals. Not that those were the only channels, but they were the worst. Just FYI, the problem I had looked more "compression" related than anything. Almost like you were watching a video on the computer that you made to big and it had a "clear blur/pixelation" to it.

I saw the D* PQ on a buddy's 16x9 Mitsu big screen (55" I believe) the other night and it looked alright. I'm not a big fan of how things stretch to fit the screen, so I'm thinking on my normal 4:3 tv it might look okay.

Looks like your concerns about D dropping (not dropping) the added promotional premium channels automatically are right.

This is from their website:

"**HBO, Starz Super Pack and SHOWTIME UNLIMITED services will continue at the regular payable charge ($74.99/mo. or above). "

I'm expecting my receiver any day now so I've been tracking the signup deals and today I noticed the above.

It's still a decent deal though, just as long as you track to make sure it's dropped if you don't want the added expense. It's about what I got with my cable company when I first signed on years ago, minus starz, don't think that was available back then.

logixrat said:
I'm not a big fan of how things stretch to fit the screen, so I'm thinking on my normal 4:3 tv it might look okay.
You dont have to stretch it on a 16:9 screen.

I agree digitaldvdrs, it is a decent promotion and I plan to use it to my advantage while it's free. Afterwards I will cancel the premiums. While I do like movie channels, especially HBO, it drives me nuts how they replay the same 10 movies over and over and something I just won't pay for. For me, an online membership to Blockbuster or equivalent movie rental store is the better way to go. $18/mo and you get unlimited DVD rentals that you can watch when you want to watch vs. pre-defined times.

And yes, vurbano, I realize you don't have to stretch the screen. But then you have either white or black bars on the side which cause screen burn-in. Or on some sets it increases the picture size to fill your entire screen but it may cut off someone at the forehead or mid face level depending what you are watching. While I love the 16x9 ratio and HD quality, in my opinion it is truly a bastard child until HD becomes a standard. Actually when I bought my 4:3 big screen, I first brought home a 16:9 unit with HD. That was about 3 years ago, and the reason I returned was because the standard was just not in place to make it worthwhile. It's getting closer but I think we are still a few years away. I wish we were closer, I would find a way to buy an HD set if it become a standard.

logixrat said:
I agree digitaldvdrs, it is a decent promotion and I plan to use it to my advantage while it's free. Afterwards I will cancel the premiums. While I do like movie channels, especially HBO, it drives me nuts how they replay the same 10 movies over and over and something I just won't pay for. For me, an online membership to Blockbuster or equivalent movie rental store is the better way to go. $18/mo and you get unlimited DVD rentals that you can watch when you want to watch vs. pre-defined times.

And yes, vurbano, I realize you don't have to stretch the screen. But then you have either white or black bars on the side which cause screen burn-in. Or on some sets it increases the picture size to fill your entire screen but it may cut off someone at the forehead or mid face level depending what you are watching. While I love the 16x9 ratio and HD quality, in my opinion it is truly a bastard child until HD becomes a standard. Actually when I bought my 4:3 big screen, I first brought home a 16:9 unit with HD. That was about 3 years ago, and the reason I returned was because the standard was just not in place to make it worthwhile. It's getting closer but I think we are still a few years away. I wish we were closer, I would find a way to buy an HD set if it become a standard.
1. Your not going to get burn it on Plasma or projection unless you leave it on for hours and hours. Its really not a concern for watching a night of 4:3.
2. Your STB should allow you to go to 16:9 or 4:3 without cutting something off.

1. That may be true, but if I dish out a few thousand I'm going to play it on the safe side.

2. On all the boxes I have seen, you have 3 options (more or less): Leave at normal 4:3 ratio and have the bars. Stretch to a 16:9 format. Or the one I mentioned where it basically blows a 4:3 image up to a 16:9 screen, but does not compress the top resulting in the "cut off" people.

But putting all that aside, I am pleased to report my installer made it several hours ago. I am up and running. The picture is beautiful. Perhaps the locals could be a little more clear, but by means are they bad. I am very pleased with the PQ.

The only snag we had during installation is for a DirecTV DVR unit, you are required to install 2 cables. Due to location of my TV and how my house was built with 12" I-Beams and header plates, it made the installation very difficult plus I did not want to weaken the structure with a hole for cable as our upstairs will eventually house a pool table once we finish it.

Sooo....I ended up with 2 standard receivers. I got all the same deals as before. The only change is there is only a 1 year agreement required vs. 2 years because I am not using "advanced" equipment. That part I liked alot!

Truth be told, I did not really use my DVR on my cable that much anyhow. I just liked the idea of having it. But with DirecTV the minimum I will save by *not* having it will be $25/mo vs. my previous cable bill. 15 months I will save $35/mo and my first 3 months I will save $40/mo. So yeah, DVR isn't a big loss compared to the $$$ I am saving.

I found it online via the DirecTV website. I just went to order online and it all showed up. The only thing that didn't show up was the $150 cash back, which the CSR gave me a link to over the phone. The next day I noticed it was on the main site when you went to order online, so it may still be there.

You might hurry though, I think it expires 3/31.

logixrat,

You'll find no difference between dish and direct. I switched to direct in January after 7+ years with dish, picture quality is the same. The R15 is a little buggy but no different than the line of buggy dvr/pvr's that dish offered.

mechman

Maybe you had a good experience, but mine with E* was miserable. Horrible customer service and horrible picture quality. After numerous service calls they were unable to fix my PQ issues and I was finally able to get out of my contract.

I will note that I had E* back 3 or 4 years ago, and at that time the PQ was very good. The customer service still sucked, which is why I left and went to cable. Then the first part of this year I thought I would try satellite again.

D* seems to work good for me, so I'll stick here until they do something to force me to leave.

logixrat said:
Maybe you had a good experience, but mine with E* was miserable. Horrible customer service and horrible picture quality. After numerous service calls they were unable to fix my PQ issues and I was finally able to get out of my contract.

I have to agree with you on that one, I just left my brother-in-laws house and we were watching a movie on Showtime, on E*. Every time the screen went to black, the pixilation was so bad it looked like a checkerboard. It was good on the picture until it went to a black screen, then it really degraded.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts