New DirecTV customer with Remote Programming problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

volfan615

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
Just made the switch today from Comcast to DirecTV. The receiver is a HR24NC-100 and the remote is a RC65RX.

I'm trying to program the remote so that I can use the volume buttons to control my Rotel RSP-1098. I've tried using the on screen method and entering a code manually that I found online. Using the on screen method it just fails. After entering the code manually the Receiver just tells me that the button is not programed.

Any ideas? I've never had issues like this with any remote. I hope this is not a sign of things to come...

I doubt their is a code or at least not one highly used, but what code did you try so no one gives the same one again?

What "sign of things to come" ? Do you realize just how had it can be to have each and every remote code just for the main A/V players, let alone all the niche and fly-by-night makers. I can tell you A TON of companies have missing remote codes for their particular unit remotes.

You either fall back to using your A/V units programmable remote or go with a Harmony or the like.

Just made the switch today from Comcast to DirecTV. The receiver is a HR24NC-100 and the remote is a RC65RX.

I'm trying to program the remote so that I can use the volume buttons to control my Rotel RSP-1098. I've tried using the on screen method and entering a code manually that I found online. Using the on screen method it just fails. After entering the code manually the Receiver just tells me that the button is not programed.

Any ideas? I've never had issues like this with any remote. I hope this is not a sign of things to come...

Did you use the code that Directv supplied in the on screen menu that Charper1 mentioned?

Well it seems that keying the code in manually did the trick... at least for power. I still can't use the volume buttons as it seems someone dedicated those to only a TV. That's just dumb!

Well it seems that keying the code in manually did the trick... at least for power. I still can't use the volume buttons as it seems someone dedicated those to only a TV. That's just dumb!

Go back into the setup menu for the remote. There is a way to make the volume control the Rotel.

Go back into the setup menu for the remote. There is a way to make the volume control the Rotel.

That would be great but I don't see anything in the setup related to that. Any help would be much appreciated!

To program the vol + and - buttons to always use your receiver no matter what the remote selection is on go to:
Menu - System Setup - Remote Control - Program Remote - "OK"
Go to Advanced - Volume Lock
Then select the device you would like it to use, select OK
Follow the rest of hte on screen instructions and your all set.

Good call Lightning !

Op, what happened when you let the D* recvr do the work instead of you inputting the stuff maually ?
The HR24, pretty much finds the codes and does the work for you now, it doesn't list the codes available anymore.

I tried the on screen method but it would just never program... I selected try again at least 30 times. Then I found this.. DIRECTV Remote Codes

It shows how to program the volume lock manually. At first it didn't work either. Then I found something that said the volume lock will not work until you have programmed in a TV code. Once I did that, I programmed the volume lock again and PRESTO!

It's too bad that the on screen programming doesn't work well. That would be very helpful for those not comfortable doing it manually.

Anyway... much happier now!

Jimbo, my HR24 worked like you say when I got it, but now it seems like it's setup with the old method. I wonder if the hd gui has anything to do with it?

Glad you got it working for sure, but their comment is very interesting since I have no "TVs" in my setup so obviously no TV remote code programmed and the A/V and audio VOL lock programmed into my DirecTV remotes just fine.

Glad you got it working for sure, but their comment is very interesting since I have no "TVs" in my setup so obviously no TV remote code programmed and the A/V and audio VOL lock programmed into my DirecTV remotes just fine.

Believe it, if there isn't a tv code programmed to the tv device, the volume and mute keys when pressed only initiates a message at the bottom of screen to program the tv device. Once there is tv code, itsvolume is now the way in all devices, that's where the unlock feature comes into use.

You might not have done it, the installer did?

I say there is a tv code there even if you don't know, punch back the code on the tv device:

1. tv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 9 0
4. press #1 key, count the blinks, it will be one
5. press #2 key, count the blinks
6. press #3 key, count the blinks
7. press #4 key, count the blinks
8. press #5 key, count the blinks

if there wasn't a code, you won't get two blink confirmation signal after entering 9 9 0.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)