New DIRECTV H20 MPEG-2/4 on sale

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If the rumors are true that self-installing DirecTV is no longer allowed, then I will drop the service. I refuse to take time off of work and have someone invade my house to install a satellite dish and STB. Self-install is one of the main reasons that I changed from cable to satellite about 10 years ago.

kryten98371 said:
If the rumors are true that self-installing DirecTV is no longer allowed, then I will drop the service. I refuse to take time off of work and have someone invade my house to install a satellite dish and STB. Self-install is one of the main reasons that I changed from cable to satellite about 10 years ago.

I tend to agree with kryten here, but you have to look at the economics of supporting 'non-professional' installs. I'm sure that most folks, myself included, feel more than capable of doing their own dish installation. D* is more than likely just looking for ways to cut the CS budget over time.

$.02

cr0mag said:
I tend to agree with kryten here, but you have to look at the economics of supporting 'non-professional' installs. I'm sure that most folks, myself included, feel more than capable of doing their own dish installation. D* is more than likely just looking for ways to cut the CS budget over time.

$.02
a better way to do it is to say yes you can do a self install but if you have to call us with a self install problem it wil lcost you the price of an install

vurbano said:
Interesting situation here. Ive heard that D* may not allow self installs anymore. Is that true? If it is then there would be no point in buying the new box instead of letting D* install it. There will be no mpeg4 channels for us anyway without the new 5 LNB Dish installation so this box really does nothing for you until that time, maybe interactive but most could care less about that. That new Dish is a real monster, so maybe the no self installs rumor is right? Does anyone know if that rumor is true?

Define monster.... I have lived in a few places and there are a lot of homeowner association regulations written around "18 inch dishes". Do you know how big we are talking ?

sateck01 said:
no self installs for new subs eq and no self installs on dishes. you can swap out your own irds at will.
That goes along with the point I was making. Inorder to use Mpeg4 capabilities of the new recievers you need the new Dish which only D* can install. Unless you are dying for "interactive" all you are doing by buying the new boxes now is starting your warranty period early. A mistake if you ask me.

jeff piccolomini said:
Define monster.... I have lived in a few places and there are a lot of homeowner association regulations written around "18 inch dishes". Do you know how big we are talking ?
Robert said 2 feet by 3 feet!

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
DIRECTV will upgrade any existing DIRECTV HD receiver you have and your dish. This offer would be good only if you fit one of the following:

1. Don't want to wait for DIRECTV to upgrade you and you will still get any HD receivers upgraded later once DIRECTV gets to you.

2. You need another HD receiver for a second or third HDTV.

3. You are a new subscriber.

-Robert

Sounds almost like validation the rumors are true then.

I concur with not allowing self installs. I have had D* since the beginning and if I can setup BUD 10 foot dish I sure as heck can setup a non moving dish.

Maybe Robert can give us some insight on the install process. I can accept that if I call D* with an install question being charged for it.

jeff piccolomini said:

And your HOA is breaking the law. They cannot deny any dish of 1 meter or less per the FCC.

So do we know for sure if the Terk BMS-58 5x8 Integrated Satellite Multiswitch will work with the new sat dish?

Hopefully Robert knows this: That $100 rebate on the R15's, will this be extended to all "advanced" products like the H20? Personally I'd be all over an H20 at $199 - $100 rebate.

bonscott87 said:
Hopefully Robert knows this: That $100 rebate on the R15's, will this be extended to all "advanced" products like the R20? Personally I'd be all over an R20 at $199 - $100 rebate.

An R20?!

~Alan

lol... seems like so many questions ... with no answers yet.. hopefully robert can clarify for us :)

1) Will current powered 4*8 or 5*8 (Like the Terk 58) will work
2) How many cables will be needed from the dish to the multiswitch (sounds like still 4)
3) Self installs? yeah or neah...
4) Exactly how big is the dish? 24*36? 24*24? and where to point it?

jim tressler said:
lol... seems like so many questions ... with no answers yet.. hopefully robert can clarify for us :)

1) Will current powered 4*8 or 5*8 (Like the Terk 58) will work
2) How many cables will be needed from the dish to the multiswitch (sounds like still 4)
3) Self installs? yeah or neah...
4) Exactly how big is the dish? 24*36? 24*24? and where to point it?

1. yes

2. same as before- 4

3. you are not going to be able to get a dish, or so i hear

4. first models are 24X36, second generation is , i hear a lot smaller.but still larger than phase III or the paratodos dishes.

4a. same area as now 101,110,119 but also add the 99 and 103

bonscott87 said:

Aah! I'd prefer an H20 over my Hughes HTL-HD (especially with the Fifth Generation Tuner), but unless a bunch of new MPEG4 channels come out, I'll wait on the HMC (or the rumored NDS HD-DVR)... maybe!.

~Alan

Brewer4 said:
The H10 is definately full of holes. Mine reboots a few times a week.

I have a HTL-HD that re-boots about 50% of the time when you exit the Search/Keyword mode. Never did it until the last software update.

I see a lot of concern over the size of the dish, but remember the bigger the dish the less rain fade effects it. So a bigger size dish may not be all that bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)