New Directv HR54 and H44 models

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cypherstream

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Is transponder bonding really necessary? They put 6 HD on one transponder now, you mean you couldn't put 2 4k in that same amount of space? I'm saying 2 4k in the space of 6hd which I thought with HEVC it would even be closer (3 or 4 4k in the space of 6 HD).

What's a tp worth these days anyway? 40 - 50 Mbps?

satgirl51

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 3, 2007
USA
Is transponder bonding really necessary? They put 6 HD on one transponder now, you mean you couldn't put 2 4k in that same amount of space? I'm saying 2 4k in the space of 6hd which I thought with HEVC it would even be closer (3 or 4 4k in the space of 6 HD).

What's a tp worth these days anyway? 40 - 50 Mbps?
a single transponder could easily carry one more likely two 4k channels, I believe the limitation people are anticipating is directv's swm system, could possibly need 2 swm channels(tuners) to pull down a 4k channel. Again this is all speculation.. If the new HR54 had 8 tuners or more it wouldn't be a big deal but with just 5 tuners that could become a problem.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I hear with bonded transponders they can fit up to 5 channels using 2 transponders.

satgirl51

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 3, 2007
USA
Looks like from the FCC spec sheet the HR54-500 is identical to the HR44 in CPU, RAM, and tuners. Capture.PNG

HR54 looks like it has less connections in the rear, I just hope its not another lower cost to manufacturer model, similar to the C51 is replacing the C41.

HR54-500.PNG

satgirl51

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 3, 2007
USA
Well even though the documentation says its a 5 tuner its possible it is incorrect. This pic zoomed in shows clearly it would use 7 tuners on a swm system :) .
Capture.PNG

Also looks like 1TB drive though... :-(

Capture2.PNG

inside pic
inside.PNG

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
So a new install if it's only one room can't get a Genie ?

I'm going to argue this. I see a 1 box genie, daily. There for a while they stopped doing 1 box genie installs but for maybe the past 6 months or so they're there. I'm not the only one either. Every tech around me gets them. So either customers are willing to pay for them (which I've never heard a customer say or admit they had to pay extra) or my market just happens to be the exception to this rule

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
a single transponder could easily carry one more likely two 4k channels, I believe the limitation people are anticipating is directv's swm system, could possibly need 2 swm channels(tuners) to pull down a 4k channel. Again this is all speculation.. If the new HR54 had 8 tuners or more it wouldn't be a big deal but with just 5 tuners that could become a problem.

We was told it was due to the SWM limitations

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Interesting looking at the specs the HR54 does not support bonded transponders.

Also it says it has 6 tuners but only 5 are usable.

satgirl51

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 3, 2007
USA
Interesting looking at the specs the HR54 does not support bonded transponders.

Also it says it has 6 tuners but only 5 are usable.
Ya but the specs also don't match what is clearly printed on the back of the box, 7 swm tuners(would be 8 actual)

Also the HR44 has 6 tuners also, and only 5 are usable, 1 is reserved for guide data I believe.

Also looks like they were testing it with an old swm8 and PI-29Capture3.PNG Capture.PNG

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I'm going to argue this. I see a 1 box genie, daily. There for a while they stopped doing 1 box genie installs but for maybe the past 6 months or so they're there. I'm not the only one either. Every tech around me gets them. So either customers are willing to pay for them (which I've never heard a customer say or admit they had to pay extra) or my market just happens to be the exception to this rule
I know if I was signing up for D* and only needed 1 TV, I would EXPECT a Genie.
With the equipment they are using now theres No way I would settle for a 2 tuner DVR in that scenario.

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
I know if I was signing up for D* and only needed 1 TV, I would EXPECT a Genie.
With the equipment they are using now theres No way I would settle for a 2 tuner DVR in that scenario.

I agree 100%

I understand not issuing genies and clients to every new customer due to cost but does a genie and 3 clients really cost less than an HDDVR and 3 HD's?

Reactions: whitewolf8214

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
I can't add much of value to this, but just wanted to say thanks for the posts on the beta units and the pictures - great to see it is out into people's hands.

Summary of what I read, same specs thus likely same speed / performance. Likely improved from 5 tuners to 7 tuners (based on the writing on back of box).
No extra storage, and access card moved to the side (likely just for consistency with other next-gen receivers (H44 / client boxes).
External appears to be much the same except the removed access door with the access card / reset button moved to the side.

peds48

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 17, 2009
New York
'nough said

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Reactions: AZ.
Status
Please reply by conversation.

looking for recommendation on size of PVC pipe to use...

Sam's Club commercial locks receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts