New Directv Prices

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Merry Christmas from Directv - $4 price increase (xtra + dvr)

Personally I would have recomended waiting until early January for that kind of announcement internally so it can't get out.

Good luck with your appeal.

The changing of prices has happened since day one, you signed a 2 year commitment when you signed up and the Subject to change has been there all along, most understand that.

Can you find a provider that doesn't raise thier prices yearly to keep up with changing prices ?
Kinda hard to do when the Networks change thier prices yearly as the contracts come up, new Sats are built and put into space to provide new channels and various other things that the company needs.

Nobody likes it, but it's pretty much a fact of life.

OK, first off, I won't hold it against you that you're a Buckeye. LOL. Go Badgers!

No I understand what you're saying about everyone increasing rates. I've just had a lot of issues with directv. Like they gave me old models of hardware when they installed the system a year ago, and I think above all else they have been very condescending to me in all my interactions with them.

I understand their prices are going up since the content is costing more, thanks to things like Disney (which few watch) being bundled with ESPN (which a ton watch) by the parent companies (Disney in this case) to ram channels you don't want into their package. I just take issue with the fact that I am locked into a contract in which the rate can change. I was not aware that they could change the rate prior to my two years being up. They advertised a flat rate for all the months after the initial 12 months when I signed up. I guess I missed the fine print on it, so I accept that a F-ed up, but practices like this make me go crazy.

I just got done submitting a complaint to my State Attorney General about this.

Instead of wasting time with a complaint that is totally out of the ballpark (as others have said, read the contract) you might try simply picking up the phone and calling DirecTV. Get yourself through to retention and VERY POLITELY explain that you did not budget for this and ask them what they can do for you. IME, there is not a company out there with better customer support than DirecTV and they're not going to have you unhappy over a few bucks a month.

Instead of wasting time with a complaint that is totally out of the ballpark (as others have said, read the contract) you might try simply picking up the phone and calling DirecTV. Get yourself through to retention and VERY POLITELY explain that you did not budget for this and ask them what they can do for you. IME, there is not a company out there with better customer support than DirecTV and they're not going to have you unhappy over a few bucks a month.

Actually I did get on the horn with them and I was very polite and they were very much on the side of we're sorry, but you only had an agreement on price for 12 months. Myabe they have me blackballed :)

Like they gave me old models of hardware when they installed the system a year ago, and I think above all else they have been very condescending to me in all my interactions with them.

The equipment you get is what you get. The only way to ensure you will get a specific model is by going to a retailer. I have a couple of older DVRs (HR20 and HR22) and just got an HR24. Besides the smaller harddrive in the HR20 I don't really see much of a difference in performance. As for the condescending attitude, well, I would only advise you to take a very deep breath before picking up the phone. I don't know you and can't really judge you but you seem to be angry about your DirecTV experience and if you start off with an attitude you're going to get nothing in return.

I've had nothing but excellent interactions with DTV personnel but I always go through retention where the CSRs have far more leeway in what they can do for you.

The equipment you get is what you get. The only way to ensure you will get a specific model is by going to a retailer. I have a couple of older DVRs (HR20 and HR22) and just got an HR24. Besides the smaller harddrive in the HR20 I don't really see much of a difference in performance. As for the condescending attitude, well, I would only advise you to take a very deep breath before picking up the phone. I don't know you and can't really judge you but you seem to be angry about your DirecTV experience and if you start off with an attitude you're going to get nothing in return.

I've had nothing but excellent interactions with DTV personnel but I always go through retention where the CSRs have far more leeway in what they can do for you.

I don't understand the "you get what you get" when there is documented differences on the extreme shortcomings of a receiver (I have an HR21-700 that is slower than molasses and the recent HD guide upgrade made it worse). They are very explicit about their contract rules so why can't they be specific about their hardware?

I guess most of you sound like you've had a good experience with DirecTV. I just can't say the same is all. And trust me, when I get on the phone my balls shrivel up and I become about at nice as you can be. I'm a wimp like that. LOL

OK, I'll stop thread jacking now since we've wandered off topic. I think you guys have answered my questions. Thanks much!!

OK, first off, I won't hold it against you that you're a Buckeye. LOL. Go Badgers!

No I understand what you're saying about everyone increasing rates. I've just had a lot of issues with directv. Like they gave me old models of hardware when they installed the system a year ago, and I think above all else they have been very condescending to me in all my interactions with them.

I understand their prices are going up since the content is costing more, thanks to things like Disney (which few watch) being bundled with ESPN (which a ton watch) by the parent companies (Disney in this case) to ram channels you don't want into their package. I just take issue with the fact that I am locked into a contract in which the rate can change. I was not aware that they could change the rate prior to my two years being up. They advertised a flat rate for all the months after the initial 12 months when I signed up. I guess I missed the fine print on it, so I accept that a F-ed up, but practices like this make me go crazy.

I THINK, if you signed up a "Price Freeze" type of thing, then your probably won't go up till then, they have them out occasionally, you'll have to check .... the announcement is for the general public, D* users, if your locked in, they may not go up.

Good point. The price for a new contract is generally locked in for the first 12 months. After that it goes to the current rate.

I don't understand the "you get what you get" when there is documented differences on the extreme shortcomings of a receiver (I have an HR21-700 that is slower than molasses and the recent HD guide upgrade made it worse). They are very explicit about their contract rules so why can't they be specific about their hardware?

I guess most of you sound like you've had a good experience with DirecTV. I just can't say the same is all. And trust me, when I get on the phone my balls shrivel up and I become about at nice as you can be. I'm a wimp like that. LOL

OK, I'll stop thread jacking now since we've wandered off topic. I think you guys have answered my questions. Thanks much!!

The problem you experienced is the fact that D* labels the recvrs as High Def Recvr and High Def DVR, not by model numbers, thus they can give you whatever they happen to have on the truck at the time of the install.

You could have asked the installer when he did they install if he had the newer stuff on the truck if that was an issue.

How long have you been with D* now ? That could have something to do with the resistance for giving you a discount.

You CAN always order one from Solid Signal or Claude (member here) at Dishstore dotcom and they can ship0 you what you want and you can return the others once you have activated the new ones, remember to watch whats on your existing DVR if you have one as they don't transfer.

If you go thru DishStore, ask for Claude and let him know your from here.

IF you decide to upgrade this way, remember that its still a "Lease" and it will restart your 2 year commitment ...

Other option, call D* and tell them it's not working right and see if they will replace it, of course they will more than likely replace it like for like.

Your a Badger living in Ohio ? Enjoy your time on top0000, it will end soon. :)

I believe that the biggest problem with the annual price increase in DBS/Cable programming all boils down to the exorbent prices that the cable networks (ESPN) and broadcast networks pay for programming from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, etc... The solution, which will never be allowed to happen, is to break out all ESPN channels, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, etc.. and place them in a seperate premium programming package. If you want the sports programming, fine, but you pay for it. Do not force subscribers that have little or no interest in sports programming to subsidize the programming cost. The only way that this would ever happen is if the FCC required that the programmers (Disney, NBCU, CBS, News Corp, etc..) allow the DBS and cable companies to break these channels out into "theme" type packages, or make the program providers allow the distributors to do real A-la-carte. I would like a theme type approach, like Shaw Direct and Bell Expressvu use. You can pick "x" number of theme packages for $x. If the sports type programming would still make the pacakge too expensive, then make ESPN and the Fox Sports networks just like HBO and Showtime are, if you want them then you pay more for them. Of course this is choice, and is something that neither the FCC, the DBS providers, nor the program providers want us to have. Oh, for the good old days of TVRO when you could actually pick what you wanted to watch and pay for only what you wanted.

Well one thing Direct has for now over Comcast/Dish are the receiver fees, hopefully that does not change down the road. When you add them up keeps them competitive over the other companies

Well one thing Direct has for now over Comcast/Dish are the receiver fees, hopefully that does not change down the road. When you add them up keeps them competitive over the other companies

yeah no crap
For fun I priced out Comcrap here in Minneapolis as they have some HD channels that D* doesnt (TruTV as example) and they have a 29.99 digital basic promo for 12 months but $10 for HD receiver or 16.95 for a HD DVR with a sexy 20 hour HD capacity :eek: and you dont get the 1st one free
so 2 DVR's is 33.90

Iceberg said:
yeah no crap
For fun I priced out Comcrap here in Minneapolis as they have some HD channels that D* doesnt (TruTV as example) and they have a 29.99 digital basic promo for 12 months but $10 for HD receiver or 16.95 for a HD DVR with a sexy 20 hour HD capacity :eek: and you dont get the 1st one free
so 2 DVR's is 33.90

Same here, I poked around comcast as well as i Have to have my internet with them as i have no other choices, Hell of a first year promo, I even see they have a whole home dvr as well. But add a aditional dvr and one more HD box and watch that price climb. Here in Michigan first is included but they make up for it in price with what they charge for other receivers

even better is when you pick how many TV's you need even if you hook it directly to the HDTV (lifeline is QAM..the rest needs a box) if you select 1 TV like that they will charge you $14 for install :eek:

Three things you can't avoid...Death, taxes, and Directv price increases.

I will be paying an extra $5 month ($4 for Ultimate plus $1 doe DVR). We better get some more HD channels in 2012 to cover this price increase.

I think by changing the name from "HD Access" to "Advanced Receiver-HD" is a way to attach the same fee to the Receiver/DVR instead of the package. This is just a marking strategy that many cable companies already employ. They claim that HD is free or that they do not charge extra for HD programming, but what they do not tell you is that they charge an extra fee for an HD Receiver/DVR (including the primary one). I am hoping DirecTV doesn't try this same strategy and claim that HD is free.

And I really hope that this is not a way to get out of the Free HD for life or 24 months commitment either. By claiming that they no longer charge for HD programming (which is technically true if the attach the fee to the equipment) that those who where promised free HD for life are still getting free HD programming.

I was wondering about us Total Choice Plus subs and this is what Satracer stated, "Choice Xtra and Total Choice Plus customers will be merged into one package called Choice Xtra Classic. Both packages have the same channels. A new Choice Xtra will launch in Feb that is different than the current Choice Xtra."

Those of us with Total Choice Plus will now be moved to the current Choice Extra (known as Choice Extra Classic after Feb.) and will be paying $68.99 for this package. This means we will now be paying the same exact price as the Choice Extra subs, but will be getting more channels.

This also means our bill will go up $4.50 on the package alone.

http://f.cm.directv.com/i/39/2087941240/2012PNP0112IPINGMJ792GMENG.pdf

My brother is a new D* sub on his 3rd billing cycle. 4 TVs, dvr, whole home, choice extra w/auto pay for hd. They debited his account yesterday for $287, he was beside himself. Turned out it was a computer error, going to take 3-5 days to be credited back the difference. I told him about the upcoming price increase, that just added insult to injury, but wasn't sure if it effected everyone or what? Either way he has a pretty sour taste for satellite service in general.

I just looked into FiOS and I can get an internet and TV bundle (Extreme HD) with 1 HD Receiver, 1 HD DVR, and home media service for $117/month. This rate will be locked for 2 years.

Once DirecTV raises their price and I lose my discounts (no more free HD for 24 months and no more $10 off my bill for 12 months), my TV and Internet (TWC Internet) with the same setup and no home media service will be $128/month. Once my TWC internet bills goes up $10/month more in about 6 months I will be paying $138/month total for both TV and Internet.

It looks like FiOs is becoming more to my liking.

What kept me away from FiOs was that I could not take it with me to our place in Mammoth like I can DirecTV. Now that our place in Mammoth finally got high speed internet and I have a Sling Box, I can Sling my TV from my house to our place in Mammoth through my Laptop connected to the TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)