New Dish Prepaid with Update Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bcsman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Michigan
First of all, have read the LONG Dish Prepaid post here and decided to give the prepaid a shot even tho it may be coming to an end soon. Was able to find a prepaid 301 with G3 card but had to search a little as stocks are running tight. This place only had two left and obviously no one is getting any new prepaid stock. So I received it a few days ago and went out to get my Green Dot Money Card with $20 on it. Wanted to watch NASCAR last night on ESPN2 so decided to try and activate. I at first called the wrong number as the on screen display told me to call the regular Dish number. After talking to a CSR for a few minutes getting nowhere I decided to check this website for the prepaid number. Found I'd dialed incorrectly and called the correct number. I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly everything went. It started out with the automated questions but when it was determined I was a first timer I was transferred to a CSR. He walked me though the steps and within 5 minutes was watching TV!! He even kept me on the line to make sure I got my programming. I started out with the Gold 250 package for 2 days and he said it would run until midnight Sunday. I've read some horror stories at getting signed up but again was very pleased at their service.

Not sure how long the programming will last with the prepaid, heard stories both ways about grandfathering those already signed up. We'll see in a few weeks I guess.

Now on to a question--when I went into the setup and installation I told the IRD to ask permission for updates. When I turned on my 301 this morning it said there was an update to download, did I want to. I told it no at this time. My current software is 450, is that the most up to date version?? And I read to turn off automatic updates as Dish may try to change the receiver to not accept prepaid requests anymore after July 31. What is anyone's advice on the updates?? Should I have received the one this morning and did anyone else download it??

I would take a "chance" and let it update. The software version P450 is an older version, and P452 or P396(most likely P452 for you) would become the latest software download available, at least according to the SOFTWARE HISTORY of the DP301 listed here:

EKB: 301 Software History

I have my software turned OFF as well to "Not without my permission" and nothing has come up as of today, so I would go ahead and let it download.

It may take a long time to do it, and within that time period, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING. It may take up to an hour(not likely, but possible) to get the software and install it.

Now that I think about it, you have programming available to you until Sunday at Midnight.

Let your programming run out first, then if asks, download the new software then. This way, if you download the software, it won't interfere with any programming you may have ordered(it might wipe that CLEAN). This is what I would recommend to do.

Wait until Monday 7/13 to do any type of software download. Let it download, and THEN add new programming if you want.

Steelersrule,
Thanks for the info!! I'll let my programming run out and see what happens Monday morning.

Have you heard anything about the possibility towards the end of July to update the receiver so it won't work with the prepaid system anymore?? That's the main reason I set it to ask permission.

So far very happy with the prepaid--wish I'd learned of it before now!!

As a side, I allowed my IRD to download the updates it asked about this morning. When it got done my software was 452. Still going to leave the "ask permission" option on and we'll see what happens in a few days!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)