New Dish Subscriber; Only 3 Tuners On The Hopper?

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
Hi guys. I just got Dish installed yesterday and I have a question. I have a hopper and two Joey's setup. It appears that I only have three tuners, is that correct? What options do I have to get more tuners? Do they allow you to buy another Hopper? What do I do to have more tuners available?

You can get a 2nd Hopper. Hopper has 3 sat tuners, and you can add 1 OTA tuner for a total of 4. I have two Hoppers and and 2 OTA tuners (1 on each). Joeys have no tuners.

There are only three tuners on the Hopper. If you need more, you need to add another Hopper to replace a Joey. That would entail having three coaxes from the Dish to a Duo Node, you have a single node today.

Yeah you can go that route with 2 Hoppers so just depends on what you want to do for now 3 tuners is more than enough for me.

Charge depends. I got a HWS but it was a little more new at the time, at $199. Install was $25 for the tech to come out and change the node, etc...

If you PM DIRT with your name, account number and pin, they can give you a price for the whole job, and even schedule it for you via PM. Very handy.

I LOVE 2 hoppers and 8 tuners.

The OP says he just got Dish installed yesterday! Obviously mistakes were made at signup, probably because of Dish marketing describing PTAT. I sure hope that DIRT can straighten this out at no cost different from what he would have paid for a 2 Hopper installation to begin with.

We are thinking about moving to Dish from Xfinity, we have 4 TVs, but only two of us in the house at this point.

Should we go for the 2 Hopper install from the get-go? If both Hoppers w/ Sling were still free then I'd consider it, even though the 2nd Hopper costs more than a third Joey.

We'll mainly only be watching 2 tvs at once, the other TVs are our workout area and bedroom, and most of that viewing would be recorded tv. In fact, that's about all we watch is recorded, unless I'm watching live sports.

I'd probably get the OTA adapter as well, as we have a attic antenna for OTA.

We are thinking about moving to Dish from Xfinity, we have 4 TVs, but only two of us in the house at this point.

Should we go for the 2 Hopper install from the get-go? If both Hoppers w/ Sling were still free then I'd consider it, even though the 2nd Hopper costs more than a third Joey.

We'll mainly only be watching 2 tvs at once, the other TVs are our workout area and bedroom, and most of that viewing would be recorded tv. In fact, that's about all we watch is recorded, unless I'm watching live sports.

I'd probably get the OTA adapter as well, as we have a attic antenna for OTA.

Get two hoppers, then you will not have to worry about needing more tuners.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

It all depends on how much you record. While we do not watch multiples at once, there are many nights during the Fall and Spring were Im recording 2 OTA and 3-4 sat programs at once, my mind is at rest with 2 Hoppers.

If your thinking about moving to Xfinity I URGE you to find someone who has the setup you want and try it. This will let you see if you like it before moving.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Other than Direct, does any cable provider have a dvr with more than 1 tuner? The TWC dvr that I have (in addition to my 2 HWS) only has 1. I rarely use the TWC dvr.

If you most always are watching recorded shows then you are not using tuners. You could be watching two or three pre recorded shows and still have three tuners available for recording additional programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts