New Draft Kings App

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
The DraftKings App is coming to DISH Hopper, Joey, and Wally receivers!
Starting March 3rd, customers can find DraftKings in the apps menu. The DraftKings app will let customers track game schedules, scores, bets, and contests through their Hopper, Joey, and Wally receivers. While the app doesn’t allow for customers to place wagers directly, they can use the receiver app to send a direct link via text message to place the wager via the DraftKings mobile app.

Please note: The DraftKings app is only accessible in localities where sports betting is legal. Customers in restricted areas will not be able to access the DraftKings app from their receiver.

Of course Dish would not do a Bally's app instead. ;)

Let's see what app gets removed from the Wally to make room for this.

Other than the betting aspect, this sounds more like a rebrand of the Game Finder app. (schedules and scores)
I guess maybe the Game Finder app will eventually be removed, if sports betting becomes legal in more places, or if Dish eventually finds a way to make the Draft Kings app work even in places without sports betting.

It is a bit annoying having the icon staring at you every time you go to the main menu, if you do not use the app. Maybe renegade734 meant is there anyway to customize the Menu to remove the app or hide it lower down? (To answer that question, no there is not. It might be a good idea for a future release, though, for Dish to give us the option to customize our receiver menu, moving apps around so our most frequently used apps are easier to find, etc.)

This is a good point. If a gambling addict has easy access it can be detrimental. Maybe there should be a way to 'hide' this kind of app.
Not only that, but sports betting is not even legal in many areas. So, there should be some way to automatically hide the app for people in states where they would not even be allowed to use it. I feel the same way about the Locast app. The Locast service is not available in many markets across the country. So, why should that app be front and center (so to speak) at the top of the Apps menu, even for people in markets where they have absolutely no use for the app? Move it down to the bottom of the Apps menu in markets where it is not available, or hide it completely. When Locast launches in those markets, then the app can reappear (or be moved back to the top of the Apps menu) as a way of advertising for the fact that the app is now available to them.

Not only that, but sports betting is not even legal in many areas. So, there should be some way to automatically hide the app for people in states where they would not even be allowed to use it. I feel the same way about the Locast app. The Locast service is not available in many markets across the country. So, why should that app be front and center (so to speak) at the top of the Apps menu, even for people in markets where they have absolutely no use for the app? Move it down to the bottom of the Apps menu in markets where it is not available, or hide it completely. When Locast launches in those markets, then the app can reappear (or be moved back to the top of the Apps menu) as a way of advertising for the fact that the app is now available to them.
It's not available in areas where Sports Betting is not legal

Reactions: charlesrshell
Super annoying. DVR button was removed from the main menu. Why? I do not care about the apps which I will rarely use. Even Netflix or youtube. DVR button was to access the function of the Hopper, not some random channel or app. This is asinine.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
I am pretty confident Dish will bring dvr button back. Many subscribers use Harmony or other universal remotes. Watch the next update.
I will repeat myself. (Some clever member's suggeston.).

Press the equivalent button on remote for home/down/left. Now, 'sell all' is highlighted. Press select. DVR are listed.

I am pretty confident Dish will bring dvr button back. Many subscribers use Harmony or other universal remotes. Watch the next update.
I will repeat myself.
I do not have such confidence. In fact, I am pretty confident of the opposite opinion: Dish will stubbornly refuse to bring the DVR icon back to the main menu. I would make a bet on that, but I have lost such bets in the past. ;)

Now, 'sell all' is highlighted.
That's funny, that's exactly what I did with all of my Hopper equipment. (I am ViP now.) :biggrin
I am sure you meant "See All." ;)

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am pretty confident Dish will bring dvr button back
I heard that Dish has decided to prioritize fixing the Guide info for all missing and incorrect OTA channels and subchannels throughout the country for OTA adapter users, and after that, they will bring back the DVR icon.

Last edited:
I do not have such confidence. In fact, I am pretty confident of the opposite opinion: Dish will stubbornly refuse to bring the DVR icon back to the main menu. I would make a bet on that, but I have lost such bets in the past. ;)

That's funny, that's exactly what I did with all of my Hopper equipment. (I am ViP now.) :biggrin
I am sure you meant "See All." ;)
Crod, you are killing me! I like your sense of humor though. Stay well my friend.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
I heard that Dish has decided to prioritize fixing the Guide info for all missing and incorrect OTA channels and subchannels throughout the country for OTA adapter users, and after that, they will bring back the DVR icon.
FWIW, I am no longer that interested in Dish's guide info for OTA. Locast finally added Cleveland last week, so I can use that app to get the guide info. Of course, the Locast guide has its own issues. (Lots of issues!) I will cut them some slack, though, being such a recent launch.

Reactions: Howard Simmons