New Firmware Update - WHEN???

Sean Mota said:
I know I know you have been hearing this but here it is again... It is close... How close? Can't tell you but very close... So keep your finger cross. Believe me you don't want to end up with a bad software upgrade (like last time).
Close is the difference between a hooker and a stripper. We need dates :)

Good one cyuhnke. I'm thinking that Voom really wants this one to be flawless, so they are taking extra time to insure 0 defects. Also have read that some of the moderators get to be Beta testers, and I think it would be interesting to expand the group of beta testers to include some of the long-termers from this forum.

Take a minute to consider this:

If they were to set a date for everyone, they have then created a deadline for themselves. and if things don't go well they will try to cut corners on upgrades to complete by the promised deadlines.

As stoneman said above, they might want this to be flawless and if they set a date it may not be flawless. I would rather wait a week or 2 (or more) longer to get a perfect patch than get 2 or 3 quick patches over 2 weeks.

I know I hate providing dates for system upgrades and software updates on some of my applications!

cyuhnke said:
Close is the difference between a hooker and a stripper. We need dates :)

Yeah, :) this one makes smile too... I won't give you a date but I would give you the same response that Wilt give us... "Two Weeks" (all in good humor) :)

"so they are taking extra time to insure 0 defects"

No way that's gonna happen. If they can minimize the defects, that's good. There's still going to be some bugs. That's the nature of software. The more complex it is, the more likely some stuff will get through testing.

If everyone doesn't set their expectations appropriately, there's going to be a whole lot of belly-aching going on. Expect some issues and a subsequent release or two to fix them.

Sean Mota said:
I won't give you a date but I would give you the same response that Wilt give us... "Two Weeks"

Would that be the "Two weeks" from Two Weeks ago? :D

Westbender said:
If everyone doesn't set their expectations appropriately, there's going to be a whole lot of belly-aching going on. Expect some issues and a subsequent release or two to fix them.

I think many of us would have been happy with just bits and pieces added over several upgrades. IE: Release the "add another zipcode for an adjacent DMA" function, then release the "remove stations you don't receive" function, and later release the full scanning function. During each "mini" upgrade fix any problems associated with each function.

With such a huge upgrade comming I can see the STB pulling the cords, walking out the door saying "I'm fed up and I'm not going to take it any more". :)

Brian 27, I am with you on this. If they had OTA scanning done and are waiting for other software, or vice versa it makes no sense to me.

Having made a small but significant upgrade a month ago and another this or next month, would make me think. Wow they are really working on this full time.

In addition, if this so called waiting for perfect update does not pan out, then they loose a lot of PR points.

In the end, we want Voom to succeed so I wish they would just do something. Fort example, forget adding channels, forget fising overthe air, forget all the otehr bugs...... just get my box to stop freezing up on me so that I don't have to rebbot and wait during primetime when I need to go to work the next day..

Ok I'm done, thank you for reading....:cool: :cool: :cool:

Westbender said:

No way that's gonna happen. If they can minimize the defects, that's good. There's still going to be some bugs. That's the nature of software. The more complex it is, the more likely some stuff will get through testing.

Didn't use to be the case, in the "good old days."

DOS just plain worked -- it was like UNIX that way. Heck, solid-state electronics were that way for the most part, too... I know when I was a kid, you never would've imagined something like a cable box having a bug. It just worked -- until it quit working, at which point it was considered broken, and either thrown away, or sent off to be fixed and re-used.

Anyhow. Just felt like ranting, I guess :D

If they're going to use BETA testers, why not let some of the ones who've been vooming from the beginning....
They are. :)

Some members of this site are beta testers.

I think you're better off with frequent updates. You'll have bugs no matter what. Holding off updates for a long time only builds up frustration. Most users don't need to have all X Y and Z working; they may be happy just to get X, but you'll make them wait for Y and Z too. Then when it does come and still have bugs or missing W, frustration boils over. (We waited 2 months for THIS? When will the next update be?)

Westbender said:

speaking of complex, who designed the status screens. I can get to two completely different status screens. One overlays the whole picture, and is full screen size, and one appears in the program guide, overlaying only the guide, leaving the pig (picture in guide, I just made that up) in the upper right corner. And who designs a signal strength screen that takes 5 button presses to get to, then makes you exit it, to change a channel, and press 5 more times to get back to see the next signal strength. With the time it takes to redraw a screen, this can be really painful. I guess its good its not done often.

User interface designers really need to think about minimizing the buttons presses and steps to get a given result.

I see a lot of positive things in the user interace, but I wish they could get it all good, insteady of having littel quirks like this. I should be the quality assurance coach for the user interface group! :D

Scotty said:
speaking of complex..........I should be the quality assurance coach for the user interface group! :D

Scotty,

Great post...however, perhaps your timing is just a little off!!! I hope all your "quality assurance" stuff doesn't further delay release of the MUCH ANTICIPATED firmware update. :no

Just kidding! :D I highly agree with you on the signal strengh issue. I sure hope this is fixed in the upcoming firmware update. Oh, there are two ways you can get to the System Status - Hardware (signal strength) menu: (just in case you didn't know)

1. VOOM-->Green-->System Settings-->System Status (5 keys if you include the arror)
2. HELP---INFO---OK (3 keys)

...still too many key. Hope this helps!

Scotty said:
speaking of complex, who designed the status screens. I can get to two completely different status screens. One overlays the whole picture, and is full screen size, and one appears in the program guide, overlaying only the guide, leaving the pig (picture in guide, I just made that up) in the upper right corner. And who designs a signal strength screen that takes 5 button presses to get to, then makes you exit it, to change a channel, and press 5 more times to get back to see the next signal strength. With the time it takes to redraw a screen, this can be really painful. I guess its good its not done often.

User interface designers really need to think about minimizing the buttons presses and steps to get a given result.

I see a lot of positive things in the user interace, but I wish they could get it all good, insteady of having littel quirks like this. I should be the quality assurance coach for the user interface group! :D
How hard could it be to copy D*'s menu system and scanning layout? Why is voom trying to invent a better wheel? Please at least use an audible/graphical signal scale meter. Those of us turning an antenna in the attic could really use it.

Waitting in Klamath Falls, Oregon

I have been waitting since Feb. for the scanning of OTA stations. I tried
for two months to get VOOM to add the channels that I was getting on
D* that I am not getting on VOOM. Finally gave up trying to get them
via VOOM and switched my OTA antenna directly to my tv. True, I don't
get HD but at least I am not missing any of the network stations now.
I also agree that VOOM should have sent out the scanning software as
a seperate update. This would have stopped alot of the complaining that
has been going on. Then send out the other fixes in seperate updates. Look
at Windows XP. Over 100 megs of updates but they were not all sent out
at one time to fix all of the problems... Come on VOOM, please send us
the scanning update! I would love to be receiving my PBSHD station that
I did get with D*....

Scott Greczkowski said:
Wilt said yesterday it appears that the new software is about 2 weeks away from being released.
since your post was dated 6/14/04 that would put the update 2 weeks from 6/13/04 meaning we should see it on 6/27/04 :)

I'm hoping it addresses some PQ issues. The Sparklies, and now something new I've noticed. It seems like when certain colors shift on my screen, a row of stuck pixels hangs in a vertical line. It doesn't happen on any of the HD channels, just the SD ones.

Where's the Beef???

riffjim4069 said:
Yes, I too want the firmware update, but until then I plan to relax and trust that we will be pleasantly surprised as Tim stated. Heck, if I can wait 8 years for Duke Nukem Forever---it only seems like forever---then I'm sure I can wait another week or two for the update.

Ok, I am now offically tired of waiting. Please disregard my previous post. :D

vurbano said:
since your post was dated 6/14/04 that would put the update 2 weeks from 6/13/04 meaning we should see it on 6/27/04 :)
Would you be interested in some Florida swamp land.? It's prime for developement, I promise. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)