New Firmware Update - WHEN???

HDFreud said:
Wouldn't it be smart to offer a partial solution via software update once per quarter or sonner for significant issues rather than to wait so long?
Last update was in April, so VOOM is still on track for a quarterly update ;)

heck they should issue update like msft does security fixes. every 48hrs. that'll give us something to talk about.

I'd give up program guide info for manual OTA channel control anyday. That's what I had before VOOM anyway. I was using my Sammy SIR-T351. PSIP info was spotty at best, but it was way better than what I have with the VOOM box. If I had an extra component or DVI input I'd still be using the Sammy.

The hughes e86 (D* hd receiver) manages to do both integrated pg and scanning. I don't see why the voom box can't do the same

If I had an extra component or DVI input I'd still be using the Sammy.

Although it's not HD at least the picture is clear, I am using my Zenith STB with the S-Video connection. It's better than having no locals and a blank screen on VOOM.

DirecTV's latest approach is the best one -- which I presume (hope) VOOM is looking to duplicate. DirecTV maps stations based on the zip code you enter, but also includes OTA scanning to supplement this list of stations. DirecTV also allows the user to enter in a second zip code -- to map networks for a second market. That way, you can get program information on locals from two markets -- like Baltimore and DC.

I like that approach.

What VOOM should have at least done, and probably would have cured many of the OTA mapping problems would have been to actually put in the channels listed for your zip code on the Zap2it guide. When I ordered VOOM I thought those channels would be the ones mapped.

That is probably made many mad. VOOM shows you all the channels receivable in your zip code with their Zap2it guide, but when you get VOOM installed those aren't the channels in your local channel map.

Well, well, well. just got the new Voom Inner Circle email newsletter and guess what the ask the pros section is? OTA issues and updates.

See it here

To be honest, it is EXACTLY what I want. Not only will we be able to scan for all channels, we can remove from the guide listing the channels we dont get or want. This is going to be fantastic. Obviously ommitted from the article though, is an expected date of delivery.

Lets hope its soon.

E. J.

You'll receive multi-DMA maps of off-air channels, and "scanning" technology will be used to discover all off-air channels that are receivable, regardless of listings availability.

So, the new software will also allow the "hiding" of non-receivable off-air channels.

I wonder if this is the only upgrade the software will offer to us? I sure hope they allow "hiding" of all non-subscribed channels and not just OTA.

Sonnie Parker said:
I wonder if this is the only upgrade the software will offer to us? I sure hope they allow "hiding" of all non-subscribed channels and not just OTA.

I am sure Voom wants you to see all those non-subscribed channels in the guide so that you can always see what you are missing...

Well I can tell ya... I already know what I'm missing with those channels and it ain't much. Okay... maybe a boxing match on SHO all along but I can suffer through it. I get a better fix with HBO boxing anyway.

They should fix it to where the favorites can be scrolled full screen and allow skipping of those not in your favorites.

I know I know you have been hearing this but here it is again... It is close... How close? Can't tell you but very close... So keep your finger cross. Believe me you don't want to end up with a bad software upgrade (like last time).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)