New FTA install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbw4359

Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Gardena, Ca USA
:DOk guys I'm a newbie to FTA so be gental with me:D

That being said I just got my SonicView 4000 an ITB dish with a Dual LNB.
I'm not sure what size it is but let’s assume that it’s the 75cm.
I’m going to do the install myself.

1.) The Sonicview 4000 came with a discq (I’m not sure I that is the correct spelling of the switch)
It has labels for 4 LNBs I’m assuming that I would only connect the cables to the 1st 2?
But If didn’t want to use the 2nd output of the LNB I don’t have to use the switch right?

2.) If I didn’t have a compass or a SAT finder could I successfully point the dish? How would I go about it?

3.) Is the LNB Skew critical is there a plus or minus value etc.? I don’t remember seeing anything like that in the contents of the box to adjust for that.

4.) Geographic Azimuth -vs- Magnetic Azimuth ( what's the differance)

5.) What would be a good SAT to start with I’m @ Lat 33.9 N Long 118.3 W

I would think simple to start out with. Point at one sat before worrying about 2 and Diseqc switches. What were you interested in pointing at? G10 is a popular choice. A linear LNBF is necessary. Working on the ground level is also much easier.

Magnetic azimuth is what you will be using. The difference is the magnetic field that your compass reads for pointing your dish.

Skew is also important for proper reception of linear satellites. This setting is dependent for each orbital position.

I thought those coordinates sounded familiar. - :up

Here is one of our sponsor sites, which has a satellite map you might be able to use with local landmarks, to figure out which way to point your dish.
Personally, I use a cheap 25¢ compass, but to each his own.
click on:
Installing a stationary dish system (calculate dish angles)

In the event you find your dish is smaller than 30", you might try receiving White Springs.
I got it here in LA on a 20" dish, but you will have to use a linear LNB.
I'm suspicious you have a circular LNB.
Find out which, and we can get you aimed at something to start you off.
(even if it's NASA or Angel One)

Not much good for fta, you need a linear lnbf for the free signals, I think you can still get NASA on 119 with the circular, but not much more.

Circular lnbf works on satellites with circular polarization, as in most of the pay-tv providers.There are unscrupulous dealers who may sell circ lnbf with fta receivers (for people who want to steal pay-tv) and call it FTA, but that is not what true fta hobby is about.
Check with some of the sponsors at the top of the page here for various models of linear lnbfs, there are many importers/manufacturers of them. I'm sure you can find a model to fit your dish.

if the LNBF circular is not good for FTA then which linear lnbf would be a good one?
Just to get you started off looking in the right places, here are three of our advertizing supporters:

SatelliteAV LNB page
- scroll down to the MINI, in either Standard or Universal for single output Ku band LNB
- their Dual Standard is another choice, with two outputs

Sadoun LNB page
- KUL1 & ULN1 for single output Standard and Universal
- KUL2 & ULN2 for dual output Standard and Universal

Invacom LNB page
- the Universal Invacom SNH-031 with single output
- the Standard Invacom QPH-031 with both circular and linear out

Pretty much anything that does not say circular nor DBS is a candidate, regardless if they are Standard or Universal.

Not much good for fta, you need a linear lnbf for the free signals, I think you can still get NASA on 119 with the circular, but not much more.

turbosat or someone please explain what "NASA on 119" is? I just want to test what hardware I have! Like I said in my original post I'm a newbie to FTA and!

Nasa @ 119º

Dish does not scramble NASA on their 119º bird, nor Angel One.
It is circular, and high powered, and easy to line up on, at least compared to all the lower powered FTA stuff.
See this thread for more info.

I've used the following software and had very good results lining up my azimuth spot on. Just google for Satellite Antenna Alignment. Enter you lat, long and correct date and time. Make sure you set the time zone correctly or you'll be way off. Then look at what time the sun is at the same azimuth as the satellite you're aiming at. This program with also give you the satellite's azimuth. Then at that time go out and point your dish at the sun. Remember not to stare though.:D You can use a piece of cardboard with a hole in it to block most of the sun.

I made an assumption that the TOKYOSAT KU UNIVERSAL LNBF TS-300A is circular :D the jury is out about that. I'm going to find out about that from the company that I brought it from or can you tell from the physical or electrical characteristics.

input: 10.7~11.70 Ghz
11.7~12.75 Ghz

output 950~1,950 Mhz
1,100~2,150 Mhz

L.O. Freq 9.75,10.6 Ghz

noise 0.3db (max)

Those are the Readings you will find on a Universal (Linear) LNBF....
:) Thanks to voomvoom I know that I have a linear LNB.

Now I'm point at AnikF2 but on my SonicView 4000 Signal Meter I get the following:

S:65
Q:0

Do I need to tweak the LNB Frequency or the Transponder:D

Good question? I don't watch either of the Anik ku sats. Occassional feeds may be found on both? And, I think one has nothing but scrambled channels and the other has some in the clear video feeds, but it's 4:2:2 and you will need a 4:2:2 capable receiver to get them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)