New GEOSATpro microHD Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just keep in mind that the closed caption option won't be in the 1st release. As Brian mentioned it will be added later in a near firmware update release!!

Due to the implementation of the new firmware SDK build, Closed Captioning via VBI on the composite output will be active upon release of the microHD. The OSD CC overlay on the HDMI and composite video outputs will be available as a firmware upgrade option at the time of release.

When I bought my OpenBox S9 it was back in the day when it had the green screen problem. Since I only use the HDMI I never had that problem with my receiver, though if I were to connect to something other than an HDMI TV it would still be there since I never updated my receiver.

Most of the "problems" and frustration with the OpenBox S9 started happening with the advent of all the "fixes." As I stated earlier, I haven't had ANY problems with my receiver, none.

Once you release the new box, my understanding is that new fixes would be automatic by going to a certain satellite and the download would be "automatic."

Since I am NOT the type that updates to every new fix that comes along, will the updating be fully automatic, or will there be a way to watch that satellite WITHOUT having the receiver be updated?

And just in case I am not watching the programming on that satellite, will there be announcements that updates will be available IF we want to update the receiver?

Also, just a silly question that RVPop and I may be interested in ... since the power supply is off board, and the receiver is basically a 12v system (as I understand it), can this be used with a straight 12v system from batteries like in a solar array? Meaning, do I have to use an inverter from my solar powered battery system to give this 120 vac and then use your power supply to convert the 120 vac to 12 vdc?

Photto

In the hobbyist mode the receiver by default does not automatically update from the satellite. Users may elect to firmware update via satellite, USB or RS-232. BTW... The RS-232 is via a 4 pin connector on the motherboard and will not be usually accessed by a regular user. Opening the microHD case will not void the warranty and presents no exposure to dangerous voltages as the AC power adapter is external.

The satellite firmware update (OTA-SSU) is by default set to manual and the user either selects a manual update or select timer update for automatic Daily, weekly, or monthly check and if new version is available downloads and installs. To perform a satellite update, a dish (fixed or motorized) must be available and assigned to Galaxy 19 KU-band satellite.

We suggest that the user saves the user data base file (UDF) to a USB before updating the firmware if they wish to keep their custom Satellite / Transponder / Channel lists then reloading after the update. A future update will allow the user to select a firmware and/or Satellite / Transponder / Channel list updating. Initial release will only allow full firmware with Satellite / Transponder update then the user will load their custom Satellite / Transponder / Channel lists.

There will be no automatic onscreen notification of new firmware availability. It is easy enough to select the Manual Update and a notification displays if new firmware is available for download. The user is then presented with a confirmation to accept the firmware download and another confirmation to burn the firmware after the download is complete.

The unit operates off of any 12vdc DC power source that supports a maximum of 2 amps of current draw. It is not necessary to use the AC adapter. A small solar panel trickle charging a small motorcycle battery would likely provide more than enough power.

Last edited:
Brian,

assigned to Galaxy 19 KU-band satellite.

These days of life stationary positioning of satellites is gone. Mean time they are moving between spots, relocating pretty easy, replacing with sats with new names.

I know the trend of using sat names came from old C BUD days when receivers din't have FW updates and become dinasources now and ppl who din't know Clark's Belt idea :), but today we are live in fast pace world.

I would propose to use a position, at least in conjunction with sat name, like 117.5W G-XX.

The Geosat receivers (which are mainly designed for Glorystar setups) when a satellite is renamed the automatic software update changes that. When AMC4 changed to SES1 I think it was a week later the receiver automatically updated. I know 87W shows SES2 now :)

When you go int the menus it says G19 97W or something like that so nothing to worry about.

Old dogs still stick with old tricks ... I understand that. And propose to very little learning curve, to adapt to modern times. Not demanding changes in those who want live in a past. But adding some info for other ppl who has own life and opinions.
No need to procrastinate other ppl, if you don't want to change.

Spacecraft name vs Orbital Slot reference....age old discussion. I see and understand why some are interested in the history of a given bird, it's quirks, capabilities etc, but I really only care what information is where I point, not the background of what is relaying that info. I think there are a lot of others with that view as well. It is good to know that this stb will merge the info and more importantly keep it current. Perhaps others like myself will find it easier to use the name conventions since it will be provided.
What about non-listed birds? Is 30W in the list? If not does it get wiped with an update. If you save your custom list via USB and there is an updated one, I guess you'll not get the changed info? The feature I'm going for here is incremental update....ie only update differences.

In a similar vein, have the ch/sat editor software questions been resolved? If there was a post addressing it I missed it.

Old dogs still stick with old tricks ... I understand that. And propose to very little learning curve, to adapt to modern times. Not demanding changes in those who want live in a past. But adding some info for other ppl who has own life and opinions.
No need to procrastinate other ppl, if you don't want to change.

The Geosat receivers show BOTH orbital slot and satellite....so dont know why you are arguing. As an owner of a GeosatPro receiver (unlike you) I know what it has and doesn't. Brian has done a great job on the GeosatPro line of receivers with making it simple for the Glorystar customer and advanced for the hobbyist. I think Brian does know what he is doing and what most of the consumer base wants. That is why he has asked for input on how to make this a great machine :)

oh and its PEOPLE...I dont get why the EO buttons work fine on your computer all thew time except when you want to say people

Spacecraft name vs Orbital Slot reference....age old discussion. I see and understand why some are interested in the history of a given bird, it's quirks, capabilities etc, but I really only care what information is where I point, not the background of what is relaying that info. I think there are a lot of others with that view as well. It is good to know that this stb will merge the info and more importantly keep it current. Perhaps others like myself will find it easier to use the name conventions since it will be provided.
What about non-listed birds? Is 30W in the list? If not does it get wiped with an update. If you save your custom list via USB and there is an updated one, I guess you'll not get the changed info? The feature I'm going for here is incremental update....ie only update differences.

I will assume Hispasat (30W) will be in there as if I recall it is in the current models. Lemme check

edit: Sat list starts at Telstar 12 (15W) and goes to AMC8 (139W) so yeah its in there ;)
You also have 10 "newsat" options to add some if you want. The only time I needed that was when a feed on 91W seemed to be peaked differently....it was off by a click or two. So I created a new sat for that transponder only :)

I will assume Hispasat (30W) will be in there as if I recall it is in the current models. Lemme check

edit: Sat list starts at Telstar 12 (15W) and goes to AMC8 (139W) so yeah its in there ;)
You also have 10 "newsat" options to add some if you want. The only time I needed that was when a feed on 91W seemed to be peaked differently....it was off by a click or two. So I created a new sat for that transponder only :)

COOL!
Sounds like all bases are covered...(all of them I can"see" and more...lol)
Being able to add custom slots is a plus. I presume the additions can be tagged with a USALS position? I was trying to figure out how to do that on the 200, but really havent spent a lot of time on it.

Regarding editing apps, shame it uses a db not native to CM. Perhaps our resident C++ gurus can whip up something that will port to/from a db format used by CM.

Still hands down the greatest effort by ANY stb provider to accommodate it's customer base!:hatsoff:

Just wanted to Thank Brian again for all his hard work and efforts. I am waiting for the release. I will be calling as soon as I have the word go..:)

COOL!
Being able to add custom slots is a plus. I presume the additions can be tagged with a USALS position? I was trying to figure out how to do that on the 200, but really havent spent a lot of time on it.

Regarding editing apps, shame it uses a db not native to CM. Perhaps our resident C++ gurus can whip up something that will port to/from a db format used by CM.

Still hands down the greatest effort by ANY stb provider to accommodate it's customer base!:hatsoff:

Just post two DBs: source and target type with structure's description.

COOL!

I havent tried it on USALS but lemme try and see. I know you can rename the satellite.
edit: yes you can change the satellite spot in USALS. I selected "newsat1" and scrolled down and changed it to 79.5 as example

Last edited:
Giftbox Front Panel
View attachment 74831

Back Panel
View attachment 74832

Media Player supports: AVI, DiVX, MPEG1, MPEG2, MP4, H264, AVC, MKV, JPEG

I'm in on this.. I'm really hating that Openbox S10. I'll be selling it and my Coolsat 6000 soon.

What sells me on this is that it can record two different things on the same transponder at once.
I could record MeTV and ThisTV on 103 at the same time.
That and I think this thing is going to be much better quality than that Openbox junk.

I'm not thrilled with the NTFS requirement but, oh well.. (I don't like windows)
IF the timers work right on this thing, this could be the last nail in the coffin for my Home Theater PC.
I'm tired of the heat, noise and problems. I'm using a Dish tuner now and getting MeTV on it's ATSC tuner, that almost takes care of ALL my needs.
I prefer to get Me, This, RTV, PBJ, etc over C-band than OTA, the local OTA quality is pretty sad compared to the C-band feeds.
This little dandy could sit nice, cool and quiet and record the stuff I want for later viewing and I could power down the Home Theater PC finally..

Dee, I believe the microHD will support FAT32 just fine. If you read the second column on the back of the box scan, it says NTFS/FAT32 :) ...

As a Micro$oft Windows user, my hard drives are all formatted NTFS, so either way it won't be an issue. The advantage of NTFS is larger file sizes and less wasted space on the drive.

At free to air for so long I have receivers from pansats 6 coolsats2 sonicview 2 captiveworks2 viewsats3 openbox s9 1 azboxpremium plus 1 vantage 2 uniden supra and 4dtv 922.And no one of the receivers I have over the years are perfect all have good things and bed things.Now the new Geosatpro $125 and do 8psk h8psk 16apsk 32apsk and 64apsk are very good for the price are amazing.Thanks to satellite av.

At free to air for so long I have receivers from pansats 6 coolsats2 sonicview 2 captiveworks2 viewsats3 openbox s9 1 azboxpremium plus 1 vantage 2 uniden supra and 4dtv 922.And no one of the receivers I have over the years are perfect all have good things and bed things.Now the new Geosatpro $125 and do 8psk h8psk 16apsk 32apsk and 64apsk are very good for the price are amazing.Thanks to satellite av.

"32apsk and 64aps" - kidding or what ?!

Smith go to page 70 and cyberham did have one pdf and said supports all formats include 32apsk and 64 apsk.I like one receiver to.I don't joke

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)