New guy...need help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rob in Tampa

Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
United States
Hi all....I've stumbling around the web trying to learn about FTA set-up, and this is by far the most helpful place I've found. After looking through the threads, I do still need some help. Here's the quick story:

My father-in-law had a subscription to Globecast World TV in order to watch Albanian TV (Top Channel and RTV21). They recently dropped these channels from their lineup, so he cancelled the subscription. From what I've read, it looks like both of these channels are available FTA.

Top Channel: AMC4
RTV21: Galaxy 19

My questions...
(1) both are listed in red on the respective channel lists....what does that mean?
(2) do I need a motorized dish to access these since they are in two different bands - or can I get both at the same time with a stationary dish? (zip 34655)
(3) if stationary will work, can I use the Globecast dish that he has and just connect an FTA receiver, or do I need to get a new dish?

Thank for your patience with a novice and any advice you can offer.

Rob, I see that both of those channels are indeed listed in red on the List posted on this forum. That means that at the time they were posted to that list they were encrypted. If they are still encrypted you will not be able to get them without a subscription to some provider that carries them.

That being said, Galaxy 19 (@ 97W) and AMC 4 (@ 101W) are 4 degrees apart in the sky. Depending on your dish (I am not familiar with Globecast or their dishes) it might be possible to put 2 LNBFs on it and receive those 2 sats with a stationary dish.

Of course you could get them with a motorized setup also, but back to the first problem, if they are scrambled, you will need a subscription.

edit: yeh, what Magic Static said...I type slooooooooooow. :D and welcome!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)