new guy with questions

nworbekim

Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
southern USA
we've been using dishnet for a long time and i've never done any upgrading. the old receiver we have might be getting flaky, but i'm not so sure after reading some of the other posts.

we keep losing the program guide, at times the receiver locks up and has to be unplugged and reset.

soooo, my question is do i have to go to dishnet for a new receiver?

i called them and am not really satisfied with what they offered.

i just want a plain vanilla, generic receiver that will do what has been done for the past 10 years or so, but i resent all the fees and charges dish is wanting to apply to this transaction. it appears to me that all i have to do is unplug the receiver i have, set another in its place, turn it on and activate it. why do i need a technician for that?

we aren't really couch potatoes, the tv is more of a sit down for a few minutes and watch the news, once in a while a documentary, and maybe a few reruns on tvland. so the DVR and HD are not big on our list of wants. i have a nice video card on my desktop and can watch a LOT of tv online if i want, but dish is convenient.

so like i said, a plain vanilla, generic receiver is all i want, right now.

i own the receiver i have now, so i don't even have to return it!

where can i go for that?

thanks

Call Tech support and they will probably send you a new receiver for free.

it appears to me that all i have to do is unplug the receiver i have, set another in its place, turn it on and activate it. why do i need a technician for that?
You don't. You could certainly do it yourself.

Comment 1) Make sure you DEactivate your old receiver or else you will get hit with a $7 extra receiver fee.

Comment 2) Make your replacement receiver a 501 or 508 and you will not pay anything extra (other than the receiver purchase) BUT you CAN then play with a Dish DVR. My first DVR was a 501, and I can tell you after the initial distaste from my fuddy duddy family, everybody took to it and loved it. In addition to recording stuff you can't watch in real time, you get to pause live TV when you have to do something else ;), and of course when playing it back either from the buffer or from a recording, you can skip over the [expletive deleted] commercials.

Last edited:
They ARE older models. You'd have to find a used one, possibly on Ebay. If you were to find one you'd need to get the "R" & "S" #'s from it BEFORE purchasing and check with Dish to make sure nothing is owed on it. Buying a new 211K is probably your best bet. You'd have DVR capablity when/if you paid a $40 activation fee for an external hard drive. Good luck!

Ed

we've been using dishnet for a long time and i've never done any upgrading. the old receiver we have might be getting flaky, but i'm not so sure after reading some of the other posts.

we keep losing the program guide, at times the receiver locks up and has to be unplugged and reset.

soooo, my question is do i have to go to dishnet for a new receiver?

i called them and am not really satisfied with what they offered.

i just want a plain vanilla, generic receiver that will do what has been done for the past 10 years or so, but i resent all the fees and charges dish is wanting to apply to this transaction. it appears to me that all i have to do is unplug the receiver i have, set another in its place, turn it on and activate it. why do i need a technician for that?

we aren't really couch potatoes, the tv is more of a sit down for a few minutes and watch the news, once in a while a documentary, and maybe a few reruns on tvland. so the DVR and HD are not big on our list of wants. i have a nice video card on my desktop and can watch a LOT of tv online if i want, but dish is convenient.

so like i said, a plain vanilla, generic receiver is all i want, right now.

i own the receiver i have now, so i don't even have to return it!

where can i go for that?

thanks
More information would be nice, what is your current model of receiver where do you live besides Southern USA, what was DISH going to charge you? A guess is that you might be in an Eastern Arc market that would require an upgrade to a new dish, Also with 10 years of use you might have damaged fittings on your cables or your dish might need realignment,this could cause guide loss and lock ups. Replacing the receiver won't cure problems that aren't caused by a failing receiver. If your receiver is something like a 3000 it only has about an hour of program information then has to download the guide again due to the much larger data base that exists now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts