New H20 crash

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dervari

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 6, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Haven't seen this one before, but I found that the H20 crashes if you try to scroll down in the Caller ID list with the CH-DN key, similar to the favorites scroll bug.

PoitNarf

SatelliteGuys Guru
Oct 17, 2004
Northern NJ
All functions where the H20 is scrolling down through a list (except for the guide) must use the same buggy code. Does it for the fav channels, your caller ID, and the blocked channels lists. I don't understand why D* hasn't provided an update yet that fixes this issue. On another note, why does D* do software updates so infrequently? I wouldn't mind my receiver getting a new update every quarter or so if one is necessary. Hopefully the new HD DVR will be free of these minor annoyances. It's still better than the piece of crap RCA DTC-210 I had previously.

arxaw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 27, 2004
Arkansas Ozarks
If you're getting lockups, you can request a replacement receiver from D*. Most folks are getting the H20-100 (made in Mexico) as a replacement, which has a lot of improvements over the sluggish & unstable H20-600 (made in Korea or China). D* ships the replacement FedEx with a prepaid return shipping label.

PoitNarf

SatelliteGuys Guru
Oct 17, 2004
Northern NJ
Could I request a replacement from D* even if I got my H20 at my local Best Buy? That was back in December too, and if I got a replacement from D* I wouldn't want to magically see myself with a leased H20 as opposed to owned. Can you specifically request the H20-100?

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
arxaw said:
If you're getting lockups, you can request a replacement receiver from D*. Most folks are getting the H20-100 (made in Mexico) as a replacement, which has a lot of improvements over the sluggish & unstable H20-600 (made in Korea or China). D* ships the replacement FedEx with a prepaid return shipping label.

I've had no issues with my H20 that was made in Korea. The guide is a bit slow, but not terrible. I've heard the Mexican ones have faster guides? However, is the OTA tuner on the Mexican version as good as the Korean/Chinese one? My OTA is fantastic with the Korean-made one.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
PoitNarf said:
Could I request a replacement from D* even if I got my H20 at my local Best Buy? That was back in December too, and if I got a replacement from D* I wouldn't want to magically see myself with a leased H20 as opposed to owned. Can you specifically request the H20-100?

If you get a replacement, it'll be whatever they grab and ship off to ya.

RIRWIN1983

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2005
I was replaced with an 600 when i had issues with getting a "scrached and dented" reciever that was brand new directly from d* i believe the installer dident handle it with care and demaned that if i am owning this box (signed up 1/1/06) that i dident want it looking like that, if they had owned it i wouldent of cared, and thus far i havent experienced that bug that you stated. (i even tried it several times while reading ur post) and asside from the unit running VERY hot (the installer today mentioned that while he was here to fix a signal issue, the unit is i'd say 95% reliable.

arxaw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 27, 2004
Arkansas Ozarks
Proc said:
... I've heard the Mexican ones have faster guides? However, is the OTA tuner on the Mexican version as good as the Korean/Chinese one?...
The H20-100 made by RCA currently in Mexico, has a much faster guide than the H20-600 models made by LG in Korea & China. It's like night & day faster.

However, the -100's OTA tuner seems to be slightly weaker than the -600's tuner, but it still works well with strong stations that have multipath problems. If you have some low power or fringe stations, you may lose them if you replace your -600 with a -100.

YMMV, of course.

dervari

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 6, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I'm no more than 8 miles from all my towers and have serious multipath issues. Any ideas on if the 100 handles tham as well as the 600?

arxaw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 27, 2004
Arkansas Ozarks
I also have multipath (fluctuating signal strength) on some channels, but the 600 or100 seem to ignore it equally well, and much better than previous receivers I've owned.

It's the weak signals I'm having trouble with on the -100, although I can receive some stations ~70 miles away with the antenna pointed in the opposite direction! So I guess I really shouldn't complain about one weak station using the -100...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)