New hardware choices

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robjlevin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
New Jersey
I'm moving in a couple of weeks and decided to treat myself to a new tv. Went for the 65" Samsung 4k which of course has DTV RVU built in.

As part of the move I can get a genie upgrade with 3 wireless clients but I'm not sure what I want to do at this point since I have 4 HD DVRs now. So, the questions:

1. How is the wireless with the genie and the C41 client?
2. How is the wireless in the Samsung?
3. The house is prewired for 2 TVs and those would be the 2 I watch the most so it's not essential that the other two are screaming fast if the wireless is only a little slower.
4. Any other input?

TIA

You will notice lag on any client, possibly even more on the wireless.

I'm not sure, but I think the Samsung TV would need to be wired via coax to a DECA that connects to the TVs ethernet port - it is not wireless, and it performs as a client, can be slower than you are used to with the current HR24 type receiver.

Personally I'd take the Genie upgrade and keep the HR2x boxes for the other TVs, and not bother with the Samsung as a client (unless you want the $15/ea 4K PPV movies).

You will notice lag on any client, possibly even more on the wireless.

I'm not sure, but I think the Samsung TV would need to be wired via coax to a DECA that connects to the TVs ethernet port - it is not wireless, and it performs as a client, can be slower than you are used to with the current HR24 type receiver.

Personally I'd take the Genie upgrade and keep the HR2x boxes for the other TVs, and not bother with the Samsung as a client (unless you want the $15/ea 4K PPV movies).
Rob,
I agree with Jason on all of this, particularly the part in BOLD.

I would get the Genie, hopefully a 44, skip the clients and skip the RVU and wire it directly like you would any other TV.
Enjoy your new TV !

Reactions: robjlevin
Yeah. I'm not going to go for $15/movie. I may just get rid of the oldest of HD DVRs and keep the Genie for the other three including a 24

Yeah. I'm not going to go for $15/movie. I may just get rid of the oldest of HD DVRs and keep the Genie for the other three including a 24
Do NOT bite on the Clients regardless of how enticing they make them out to be.
Get a Genie and keep the best of your HD DVRs ... you didn't say what models you currently have.
If you have 21, 22 or 23's, get rid of them 1st.

Reactions: robjlevin
I have a 21, two 22s and a 24. One of the 22s is acting a bit wonky so I think that may go. I'll see what the installer shows up with. Three weeks from today.

I have a 21, two 22s and a 24. One of the 22s is acting a bit wonky so I think that may go. I'll see what the installer shows up with. Three weeks from today.
Ok, you have 4 TV's.
Get the Genie for sure, keep the 24 and which ever of the other 2 that are working the best for you.

the wired clients work faster than the hr20-hr23's and boot up much faster. however, do you lose some recording space if you switch a HR for a client. if you're not really short on recording space, go with a client. but see if you cant get the installer to swap out a "defective" dvr for a new one. just a note, with this many tuners, you will need 4 cables from the dish (assuming your current setup is SWiM). depending on how its routed outside, it may look like crap no matter how you do it. if that matters to you.

I'm moving, remember? :)

I already have all of this set up in my home and yes, the wiring outside is a mess. The one HD DVR I'd like to get rid of is just dreadfully slow. I'll see what happens when the installer shows up.

Thanks for the input. It definitely helps.

just making you aware you might want to start scoping your new place out to see how you'd like the cables run. make sure there's a ground source near by (electrical meter, copper braid, ground block, etc). *shakes fist at NEC code*

just making you aware you might want to start scoping your new place out to see how you'd like the cables run. make sure there's a ground source near by (electrical meter, copper braid, ground block, etc). *shakes fist at NEC code*
Also with keeping more than one HD DVR and adding a genie the installer will need to run conventional (4 lines) from the dish into a SWM 16 module. Might keep that in mind when scoping out a wiring path.

Do NOT bite on the Clients regardless of how enticing they make them out to be.
Get a Genie and keep the best of your HD DVRs ... you didn't say what models you currently have.
If you have 21, 22 or 23's, get rid of them 1st.

I agree

You can always install the genie in your 4k TV and since your going to have this tv on your home network anyways activate the TVs built in client.

A bit more background here. It's a brand new house.

The den and master bedroom where almost all viewing will be done is prewired. The other two rooms will be my office and the second bedroom. I may have the tv on in the office for background noise. The second bedroom? Unless we have a guest, it won't be used except as a hook up to a sling box.

I'll wait to find out what's involved in wiring those other two rooms before I make a decision but for as little as those are going to be used, if the wiring is going to be messy I may go with the wireless clients.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)