NEW HD Channels are LIVE

Tvlman said:
National Geographic is 4:3 SD??? Good grief, Charlie!! What's the point??

I'd bet that they will have a bunch on later tonight and over the weekend. Many of the Megastructures' show's are in widescreen on the SD channel, so I'd imagine they were filmed in HD.

Tvlman said:
National Geographic is 4:3 SD??? Good grief, Charlie!! What's the point??
Just think NGHD bought 20 hours of programming from VOOM...perhaps you can PIP NGHD and Equator and watch the same show - at least is will be in HD. StarzHD and HGHD are pretty good, NFLHD is predictably 4:3 as expected, but NGHD has been a disappointment.

I have to agree. I am pi$$ed! $20.00 extra, same as Gold members are
paying, a month and you don't get the same channels that other people get
for their $20.00 a month. So basically I'm subsidizing the bandwidth for the NatGeoHD I won't even get!

That is Barbra Streisand of the highest order.

I agree Poke, if I'm not getting a channel, I shouldn't have to pay for it.

Sorry if the above is a bit muddled, but I am really tweaked by this.

Edge

edge10 said:
I have to agree. I am pi$$ed! $20.00 extra, same as Gold members are
paying, a month and you don't get the same channels that other people get
for their $20.00 a month. So basically I'm subsidizing the bandwidth for the NatGeoHD I won't even get!

Actually, Gold members pay $10 more per month for about 40 additional SD channels of which NG-SD is one.... since they now subscribe to NG-SD they get NG-HD for free... the same setup as the premium movie channels. The rule seems to be if you don't subscribe to the SD channel, you don't get the HD channel..... and if you are not getting the Gold package, you are not subscribed to NG. What's needed is a contract change to move NG to Bronze or Silver (but at what cost?)....

I'm in no way taking up for Dishnet, but it looks to me like:
1) If you want a movie channel in HD, you have to get the movie service package because the HD movie channel is included in the package.
2) If you want TNT HD or ESPN HD or ESPN2 HD, even though they are duplicate channels, they are not included in their respective SD packages, so you have to have the HD package to get them.
3) Voom, Universal HD, Discovery HD Theater, HDnet and HDnet Movies are not duplicate channels and you have to have the HD package to get them.
4) HGHD and National Geographic HD are duplicate channels and are included in their SD channel packages and you have to have the package they are in to recieve them.

Al

I'm guessing I won't be able to see any of these new channels on my 942? I would get the 622 but I am waiting for the Cincy HD channels to come online. Anyone know if this will happen before the end of summer?

charlie is taking a chit on bronze and silver package subscribers with national geographic. fu charlie.

bhenge said:
Actually, Gold members pay $10 more per month for about 40 additional SD channels of which NG-SD is one.... since they now subscribe to NG-SD they get NG-HD for free... the same setup as the premium movie channels. The rule seems to be if you don't subscribe to the SD channel, you don't get the HD channel..... and if you are not getting the Gold package, you are not subscribed to NG. What's needed is a contract change to move NG to Bronze or Silver (but at what cost?)....

Well put bhenge: The fee for NG-HD is in that $10. It's not Bronze or Silver subscribers subsidizing the channel or getting a raw deal, it's the non-HD AT180 and AEP subscribers who are getting dinged, they are the ones paying for the HD version of channel they can't receive.

NightRyder

Last edited:
Yeah well if they are going to do HD Channels like SD then their should be a price diffrence then.. If not then if your a HD Subscriber on the new plans you should get basically all HD Content since you are already paying for HD Content..

Just got home and checked out the channels.

HG looks AMAZING.

I'm surprised though - off of the 61.5 satellite, I'm only getting readings in the 70's for the TP's that are carrying the new stations. Usually i'm in the 90's for all the rest. I think I read a previous poster with the same issue.

Man, if i get a storm, I know which channels will be going out first!

NightRyder said:
Well put bhenge: The fee for NG-HD is in that $10. It's not Bronze or Silver subscribers subsidizing the channel or getting a raw deal, it's the non-HD AT180 and AEP subscribers who are getting dinged, they are the ones paying for the HD version of channel they can't receive.

NightRyder

You're logic is incredibly flawed. There is a $20.00 a month fee for HD
channels. This fee (presumably) covers the bandwidth cost of the channel
(approximately 4x a normal channel). Non-HD subscribers see all the channels
they pay for (depending on their package). Also a variable amount goes to
the channel creator.

Bronze and Silver members now pay for the channels they cannot see.

Last edited:
The website is wrong.

They just typed up all the HD channels they offered and put it on each page.

Bronze and Silver should not list national geo

and bronze silver and gold should not list hbo, sho, or starz

Edit I see they removed the hbo, starz, and sho references, but they kept nat geo, so why when they made an update they did'nt remove that?

Last edited:
Yeah folks went from $10 bucks a month to $20 when these new plans came out. We are paying extra for HD not for SD! HD Subscribers should not half to pay a extra $10 bucks a month to get one HD channel. Really your paying a extra $10 bucks to get more SD channels well that defeats the purpose for those who subscribe to HD. You subscribe to HD Content not to get more SD..

ETA for Update allowing External Drive Transfering????

PocketDish: Archos ducking warrantee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)