NEW HD Channels are LIVE

psumattDE said:
I get a kick out of everyone on here that expects all these new HD channels for nothing.

Oh, i'm dropping DISH if they don't put this in Bronze...blah blah blah...

You think they got the tranmission rights to these channels for nothing?? Pony up some $$$ like the rest of us.

Nothing? Hardly nothing dipshit! I paid to upgrade my receivers so I could see new HD.

Poke said:
Yeah folks went from $10 bucks a month to $20 when these new plans came out. We are paying extra for HD not for SD! HD Subscribers should not half to pay a extra $10 bucks a month to get one HD channel. Really your paying a extra $10 bucks to get more SD channels well that defeats the purpose for those who subscribe to HD. You subscribe to HD Content not to get more SD..

That is a good point.

Move the HD package back to $10.00 if we are only getting what is in
our AT package, then I can dump that $10.00 back in to go from Silver
to Gold, or not.

Edge

Last edited:
New_User_Name said:
Nothing? Hardly nothing dipshit! I paid to upgrade my receivers so I could see new HD.

Not to mention $20.00 a month, which is a blank of a lot more
than enough to cover the subscription cost of NatGeo!

Edge

wyattg said:
Dish is already charging an additional 10 dollars more than they did for the "old" HD package and only add a couple of channels. The thought process from what I understand was so when they add additional channels they would not need to raise prices again.

Thanks exactly right. And that's exactly why us so called "cheap asses" are pissed. We're not exactly cheap asses. Especially seeing as how be bought the equipment. We could call all of the people leasing their equipment "cheap asses", but we're not that immature. In fact, I think it's great there is an option to lease or buy.

The problem arrises when we buy our equipment so that we don't have to subscribe to SD that we won't watch. Now that the new HD channels are being packaged with the SD crap that we won't watch, we have a right to be pissed.

We're not asking for something for nothing. We paid a lot of money to upgrade our equipment (for mpeg-4) and pay a lot more money for the new HD-pack (we gained ESPN2 - woopie!). It was supposed to be a safe assumption that we would receive the new HD channels (even if they were SD duplicates). After all, we were getting ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD without having to have ESPN-SD. We were getting TNT-HD without having to have TNT-SD. And we were getting DiscoveryHDTheater without having to have the Discovery Channel-SD.

Fact is, there just aren't enough HD channels to start breaking it up into different packages yet. Why even have the HD-Only pack if you're going to exclude certain HD channels? If there were 100 HD channels, I could understand breaking them into packages (just like the current SD situation). But I'm not going to upgrade to a metal package (for $10 or $20 more per tier) for one or two additional HD channels.

I knew there were going to be some issues for E* to address with this whole conversion to HD. It would be really difficult for them to offer certain HD channels now and then take them away when there are enough channels to break them into seperate tiers. But they are handling it the wrong way in the current state of HD. Add to that, the fact that nobody should have to pay for it since it's not true HD anyway...that's a whole other topic.

Last edited:
NightRyder said:
Well put bhenge: The fee for NG-HD is in that $10. It's not Bronze or Silver subscribers subsidizing the channel or getting a raw deal, it's the non-HD AT180 and AEP subscribers who are getting dinged, they are the ones paying for the HD version of channel they can't receive.

NightRyder

This brings up an interresting senerio (if I'm not having a Friday afternoon brain fart):

I have HD Platinum with a 622 in one room and a 942 in the other. The 942 is not hooked to an HD TV. Of course it isn't able to see the new MPEG4 channels (real or flagged) but it does show the other HD stations reduced down to 480, which is fine for now and "E" was up front about that would be the case. But.........

My concern is what Scott said today about Dish removing the regular SD channel when you're getting the HD equivilent.

For MPEG2 channels it's ok because the 942 will still show them in 480 but what about the MPEG4 HD channels that will show on the 622 but if the old SD version is removed, will no longer show on the 942? ESPN2 would be one example.

Didn't Charles say that NO existing channels would be removed from MPEG2 receivers?

walt, this feature will be a receiver feature, not a package feature, the channels will not be removed, it's just a feature in the receiver (like the vip receivers with that have HD local map down)

NO its not about the money it's about getting your money's worth! Folks should not pay more for SD unless they want it. Its simple if your going to make folks pay for SD Channels to get HD then they should not have a HD Fee.. Just have one fee for all the channels togeather instead of haveing a fee for HD and SD.. If psumattDe or whoever wants to pay extra money to get extra SD thats fine. But its all about being a smart customer not someone who just wants to throw their money away.. Being smart about this is about getting your money's worth and if they were going to charge folks more to get any new HD channels they should have explaned that ahead of time. In the long run it will only hurt NGHD due to they wont have as many viewers viewing their new HD Channel due to how its being it being presented. Either way if folks want to pay more all power to them but in the long run this could hurt their rateing on how many viewers they get.. I would not have a issue with any of this if they would charge one fee for HD and SD togather instead of haveing two diffrent fees. They should just have one fee for both but I guess that would make to much sense..

Last edited:
waltinvt said:
This brings up an interresting senerio (if I'm not having a Friday afternoon brain fart):

I have HD Platinum with a 622 in one room and a 942 in the other. The 942 is not hooked to an HD TV. Of course it isn't able to see the new MPEG4 channels (real or flagged) but it does show the other HD stations reduced down to 480, which is fine for now and "E" was up front about that would be the case. But.........

My concern is what Scott said today about Dish removing the regular SD channel when you're getting the HD equivilent.

For MPEG2 channels it's ok because the 942 will still show them in 480 but what about the MPEG4 HD channels that will show on the 622 but if the old SD version is removed, will no longer show on the 942? ESPN2 would be one example.

Didn't Charles say that NO existing channels would be removed from MPEG2 receivers?

My take on it is the VIP receivers will notice you picked the SD channel and will switch to the HD channel if you subscribe to the HD version. Older receivers will not do this.

Man, I can't wait for ala cart programming. That'll totally get rid of this tier crap and we can pay for what we really want. And the channels that don't actually get subscriptions will go under and we won't be forced to keep them afloat just because they're packaged with stuff we do want.

edge10 said:
You're logic is incredibly flawed. There is a $20.00 a month fee for HD
channels. This fee (presumably) covers the bandwidth cost of the channel
(approximately 4x a normal channel). Non-HD subscribers see all the channels
they pay for (depending on their package). Also a variable amount goes to
the channel creator.

Bronze and Silver members now pay for the channels they cannot see.

It's no more flawed than yours. It's just your argument turned on its head, looks the same to me from either end. You don't like it because it doesn't support your end.

Sometimes I can't resist being the advocates devil :devil:

NightRyder

Last edited:
NightRyder said:
It's no more flawed than yours. It's just your argument turned on its head, looks the same to me from either end. You don't like it because it doesn't support your end.

I love being the advocates devil :devil:

NightRyder

Devil's idiot more like it.

Edge

has anything been hd on nfl network yet? there's a game of the week coming up at 5pm, that should be hd, please report on the actualities

BFG said:
walt, this feature will be a receiver feature, not a package feature, the channels will not be removed, it's just a feature in the receiver (like the vip receivers with that have HD local map down)

Thanks Bryan. I was hoping something like that was the case.

ChetK said:
Thanks exactly right. And that's exactly why us so called "cheap asses" are pissed. We're not exactly cheap asses. Especially seeing as how be bought the equipment. We could call all of the people leasing their equipment "cheap asses", but we're not that immature. In fact, I think it's great there is an option to lease or buy.

The problem arrises when we buy our equipment so that we don't have to subscribe to SD that we won't watch. Now that the new HD channels are being packaged with the SD crap that we won't watch, we have a right to be pissed.

We're not asking for something for nothing. We paid a lot of money to upgrade our equipment (for mpeg-4) and pay a lot more money for the new HD-pack (we gained ESPN2 - woopie!). It was supposed to be a safe assumption that we would receive the new HD channels (even if they were SD duplicates). After all, we were getting ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD without having to have ESPN-SD. And we were getting DiscoveryHDTheater without having to have the Discovery Channel-SD.

Fact is, there just aren't enough HD channels to start breaking it up into different packages yet. Why even have the HD-Only pack if you're going to exclude certain HD channels? If there were 100 HD channels, I could understand breaking them into packages (just like the current SD situation). But I'm not going to upgrade to a metal package (for $10 or $20 more per tier) for one or two additional HD channels.

I knew there were going to be some issues for E* to address with this whole conversion to HD. It would be really difficult for them to offer certain HD channels now and then take them away when there are enough channels to break them into seperate tiers. But they are handling it the wrong way in the current state of HD. Add to that, the fact that nobody should have to pay for it since it's not true HD anyway...that's a whole other topic.

Are you getting TNT-HD? If so, that even further strengthens your point.
The HD fee, pays for both the bandwidth and the subscription cost of the
other channels, and everyone knows that ESPN has the highest subscription
cost of all.

Edge

waltinvt said:
Thanks Bryan. I was hoping something like that was the case.

Hey Walt, What is it with the newbies lately? They sure get their panties in a bunch quickly.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Wow, neither intelligent or clever, sorry to bother you....:)

NightRyder

Sparky, you are the fool who cannot even read the arguments on the
other side.

Read what ChetK wrote, and it should become clear that HD subscribers
are paying for both subsription and bandwidth. Now for NatGeo you are
paying for the bandwidth and getting nothing in return!

Edge

waltinvt said:
Ah...another carefully thought out rebuttial. School must be out.

Walt, I've seen you piss your pants and rant and rave in more
threads here than I care to remember. Criticism coming from you is a bad
case of pot, kettle, black.

If you are going to try to dig on someone, you should at least learn how
to spell rebuttal.

Edge

NightRyder said:
Hey Walt, What is it with the newbies lately? They sure get their panties in a bunch quickly.

NightRyder

It's called maturity and when (if) they aquire some they'll realize it is possible to debate without getting into derogatory name calling. Where the hecks Ice when you need him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)