New HD channels coming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If were going to talk about numbering systems, I'd like to say that I'm looking at D* list on wikipedia, and I think it's a little confusing. For example, you have CNN and HLN on 202 and 204, but the rest of the cable news channels are in the 350s. Also, you have some sports channels in the 200s and others in the 600s (I know some of those are RSNs) But I'm just saying, have all the news channels be together and the sports channels be all together so it can be a bit easier to find what you're looking for.

I'm looking at D* list on wikipedia, and I think it's a little confusing

Well, consider your source. :)

I have to agree. With D*, the channels are all over the place. You have CNN in the 200s then MSNBC, Fox and others in the 300s.

If were going to talk about numbering systems, I'd like to say that I'm looking at D* list on wikipedia, and I think it's a little confusing. For example, you have CNN and HLN on 202 and 204, but the rest of the cable news channels are in the 350s. Also, you have some sports channels in the 200s and others in the 600s (I know some of those are RSNs) But I'm just saying, have all the news channels be together and the sports channels be all together so it can be a bit easier to find what you're looking for.

the sports channels are in the 200's all nice together
the RSN's are in the 600's

Dish does the same
RSN's in the 400's
ESPN/2/U etc in the 140's

CNN if I remember has an agreement with D* to be on that channel. They've been on 202 for a long long time
edit: found an old channel list from 1197 and CNN is 202 back then

The cable channel numbers drive me crazy. Too many times do I see people watching the WRONG channel. It's just nature to bring up the guide, type 2, and scroll up from there. These people will never even make it to the HD channels, which are typically way high up on the dial. Cablevision instituted EasyHD, where an HD box automatically displays the HD feed, even on the lower number. It doesn't work on cable card TV's or tivos (they still have to go to the 700's and 800's). When you think about it, it's all software that controls it. No reason they shouldn't of updated their guides to handle HD channels like DirecTV.

DirecTV is a little messy like what was said. All news, all sports, etc should be together. So what if CNN has an agreement to be on 202. Duplicate it next to the other news in the 300's. I mean how many times do we have to see The 101 network in the lineup? Are they afraid people won't find it? It's called "the 101" for crying out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Islandguy43 said:
They did add an enhancement though; if you tune into a SD channel and then push the select button; a menu will pop up, where you can select that HD version

Comcast has that too. But when I lived in their service area, I still caught the wife occasionally on the wrong channel. Thing is, you have to actually PUSH ok/select on the "watch in hd" option. I always thought it should always show it in HD, and make the user push select to watch in SD (like if there was an HD feed problem).

Then when searching for stuff to record on the DVR, you had to be careful that you picked the right channel number if you cared to setup recordings in HD. When searching, it always showed the SD channel, and you had to scroll over to more channels and times to find it on the higher channel.

I LOVE the simplicity of the DirecTV DVR. I just wish they would get on the ball with more HD channels that the cable companies don't seem to have any trouble carrying.

I agree the Cable channels are just thrown all over the place.

I wish you could make a list ,and reorder them one by one.

But I knew their list was messy. They always been that way.

Last edited:
the sports channels are in the 200's all nice together
the RSN's are in the 600's

Dish does the same
RSN's in the 400's
ESPN/2/U etc in the 140's

CNN if I remember has an agreement with D* to be on that channel. They've been on 202 for a long long time
edit: found an old channel list from 1197 and CNN is 202 back then

CNN has been on 202 since the beginning I think....
They BOUGHT thier space on the dial, so they will STAY there, thats why they look out of place.

The cable channel numbers drive me crazy. Too many times do I see people watching the WRONG channel. It's just nature to bring up the guide, type 2, and scroll up from there. These people will never even make it to the HD channels, which are typically way high up on the dial. Cablevision instituted EasyHD, where an HD box automatically displays the HD feed, even on the lower number. It doesn't work on cable card TV's or tivos (they still have to go to the 700's and 800's). When you think about it, it's all software that controls it. No reason they shouldn't of updated their guides to handle HD channels like DirecTV.

DirecTV is a little messy like what was said. All news, all sports, etc should be together. So what if CNN has an agreement to be on 202. Duplicate it next to the other news in the 300's. I mean how many times do we have to see The 101 network in the lineup? Are they afraid people won't find it? It's called "the 101" for crying out loud.

101 is a D* OWNED channel, they can put it anywhere they want, and they do....

well the 2-99 channels day back to analog. Comcast Chicago land is a big mess with the most of the HD, old channels moved from analog to digital, some digital sd channels in 100-300 sub channels where moved to 340-393 (used to be in the 200 range)

other odd stuff in the 168-300+ is

200 Comcast SportsNet HDTV
285 Comcast Info Channel HD (CSN + HD was mojo HD)

185 Showtime HD
186 HBO HD
with OTA HD channels on each side of them

168 / 412 NFL Network
169 NFL Network HD

195 Cinemax HD
196 Starz HD
with OTA HD channels and Disney HD on each side.

255 Big Ten Network
256 Big Ten Network HD

257 Starz Kids & Family HD
258 Starz Comedy HD
259 Starz Edge HD
263 Encore HD

253 ESPN U HD
203 ESPN2 HD
173 ESPN HD
231 ESPNews HD

300 HBO 2 HD
301 HBO Comedy HD
302 HBO Family HD
303 HBO Signature HD
304 HBO Zone HD
305 HBO Latino HD
306 MoreMax HD
307 ActionMax HD
308 Showtime Too HD
309 Showtime Showcase HD
310 Showtime Extreme HD

314 The Movie Channel HD

316 5StarMax HD

also 2 OTA HD channels are lumped at 238 and 240 other OTA HD are at 182-194 Live Well HD (OTA sub) is at 217

at least game HD game HD 2 and team HD are near the sd game / team channels and ppvhd is near ESPN PPV and event ppv channels.

692 - 694 Comcast Xtra big ten alts + others

http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx?lid=4ProgrammingChannelLineups&lpos=Nav
https://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx?area=0

Last edited:
I suppose you would pay "Top Buck" for B/W TV in a Hotel? This is the 21st. Century. The Best Buys and Walmarts are pushing HD and HD3D TVs out the door. Directv has the capablities to do so. There is no reason for Directv not to have more real (NOT PPV) National HD Channels than local cable company; and right now they trail, time warner, comcast and it seems hemi's blue ridge too.
i agree with this except that the comcast here has a horrible lineup for hd channels. and very expensive. why can't comcast be the same everywhere? dumb question?

i agree with this except that the comcast here has a horrible lineup for hd channels. and very expensive. why can't comcast be the same everywhere? dumb question?

homer4.jpg
:p

Glad we don't have comcast in our area. We have Insight and their offerings vary greatly from region to region.

why can't comcast be the same everywhere?
Comcast is a company that has largely grown through acquisition, so not every market has the same plant design or capabilities. Some markets are engineered to have a 750MHz plant, some are a 1000MHz plant. Obviously the markets with 25% more RF spectrum to work with are going to be able to crank up more HD.

In general, Comcast is hoping to address most of this through what they're calling Project Cavalry, which is the elimination of most of the analog channels they carry today through the deployment of low-cost digital tuning adapters to their subscriber base. For every analog channel they eliminate, they get ~38mbps of digital bandwidth (once converted to QAM) to deliver SD and HD programming. Actual channel counts they'll get into that space depends on how much compression they apply.

View attachment 63342
:p

Glad we don't have comcast in our area. We have Insight and their offerings vary greatly from region to region.
:D

Comcast is a company that has largely grown through acquisition, so not every market has the same plant design or capabilities. Some markets are engineered to have a 750MHz plant, some are a 1000MHz plant. Obviously the markets with 25% more RF spectrum to work with are going to be able to crank up more HD.

In general, Comcast is hoping to address most of this through what they're calling Project Cavalry, which is the elimination of most of the analog channels they carry today through the deployment of low-cost digital tuning adapters to their subscriber base. For every analog channel they eliminate, they get ~38mbps of digital bandwidth (once converted to QAM) to deliver SD and HD programming. Actual channel counts they'll get into that space depends on how much compression they apply.
thank you for the info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts