New HD channels coming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
While Pentagon is not a channel that interests me, I'm sure there is a large base that will view it. I imagine it interests many active and retired military personel. Some people I know who served in their life stay very versed on everything current regarding our military, while others do not. I imagine this channel while not costing DirecTV much will enhance many customers experience.

I liken it to NASA channel, it is not for everyone, but those that like it are vocal and like it alot.

Adding it in HD makes sense. It is considered a public interest channel and they may need to carry a certain number of those as they expand their channel lineup on the HD satellites. Take for instance the couple added last year, I think one was Free Speech TV.

So not of interest to me, but I'm sure many will enjoy it.

You sure that wasn't Dish adding it.....because the channel must be free and we all know how much Dish loves to not waste bandwidth on sports when there are free channels waiting and willing to suck up that bandwidth.

Dish already has it in SD...so maybe they'll have the HD version part time like they do RSN's ;)

Adding it in HD makes sense. It is considered a public interest channel and they may need to carry a certain number of those as they expand their channel lineup on the HD satellites. Take for instance the couple added last year, I think one was Free Speech TV.
and considering they dont have it in SD it sounds right to add it HD

They added FSTV and Golden Eagles Broadcasting as "HD only"

A close reading of the Press Release from The Pentagon Channel does NOT specifically state that DirecTV will be adding this channel in HD.... It says that the channel will begin broadcasting in HD in the summer and that DirecTV will begin carrying the channel in the fall.... The nexus between HD and DirecTV is not there.... DirecTV (unlike DISH) does not carry this channel at all so it could very well be that all DTV is doing is "adding" the channel-- in SD-- just like DISH does today..... Given how conservative DTV is with adding new HD channels it would appear highly unlikely that they would give HD bandwidth to an FCC-mandated public interest (PI) channel with no Nielsen measurement or wide popular appeal (ahead of the dozens of HD channels they're still missing)...

They can add it in HD or SD and make it a PI channel. They did that with 3 channels
Free Speech TV
Golden Eagles Broadcasting
God TV

The 1st 2 are SD only channels that they have in HD so its black bar hell 24/7
GodTV is considered HD but its a SD channel in a 4:3 frame

Pentagon they can add and not use alot of bandwidth...

Ice anything new on the next set of hd channels we are getting is it still by the end of April. Thanks.

Comcast is a company that has largely grown through acquisition, so not every market has the same plant design or capabilities. Some markets are engineered to have a 750MHz plant, some are a 1000MHz plant. Obviously the markets with 25% more RF spectrum to work with are going to be able to crank up more HD.

In general, Comcast is hoping to address most of this through what they're calling Project Cavalry, which is the elimination of most of the analog channels they carry today through the deployment of low-cost digital tuning adapters to their subscriber base. For every analog channel they eliminate, they get ~38mbps of digital bandwidth (once converted to QAM) to deliver SD and HD programming. Actual channel counts they'll get into that space depends on how much compression they apply.

They typically put 10 or 12 SD services or 2 or 3 HD services in one NTSC channel space. My area does 10 SD or 2 HD. At least they did at the time I switched to D*.

TCM and AMC in HD would be nice. Had them with E and it was a plus for sure. The Encore movie channels would be nice to. HBO, when I had C-Band had, 15yrs ago 20 channels. To many.

Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts