New HD GUI

Status
Please reply by conversation.
JSheridan said:
Thanks. Too bad DirecTV had to screw it up and make this necessary.

Yep, I guess they weighed the impact ad decided the benefits outweighed the negatives. Sure sucks for those affected, though! Maybe DirecTV owns monoprice.com? :)

Thanks. Too bad DirecTV had to screw it up and make this necessary.

Once again words and phases are incorrectly over-stated. There is not a DirecTV "screw up"; if you have the HD box and HD service; well.... anyone can figure out the rest. Technology moves forward while some choose to stay behind and invent work-arounds or do without; which is their right and their personal business, but not for those businesses that are moving forward. Why would they continue to spend anymore money and time to support or build in work-arounds for old tech? It makes no smart business sense; so they leave it to those minority of users that choose that path. Plain and simple progress.

Once again words and phases are incorrectly over-stated. There is not a DirecTV "screw up"; if you have the HD box and HD service; well.... anyone can figure out the rest. Technology moves forward while some choose to stay behind and invent work-arounds or do without; which is their right and their personal business, but not for those businesses that are moving forward. Why would they continue to spend anymore money and time to support or build in work-arounds for old tech? It makes no smart business sense; so they leave it to those minority of users that choose that path. Plain and simple progress.

i agree. that's just the way it works like it or not.

So this is weird (Minneapolis/Mankato market)
R22 in computer room got the national version (had old SD gui)
H23 in bedroom got new update
R22 in main room is still on CE 596

so now that I have the HD GUI if I try and do a force software now on the R22 what software will I get? New HD GUI (since my market got it) or SD GUI?

and no "try it and tell us" isn't gonna work ;)

And just how is outputting the GUI on all outputs of the receiver at the same time holding up progress? A LOT of people use the HD output and then modulate the composite output to other TV's in the house. Maybe disabling this feature is DirecTV's way of making sure there's a $6 per month receiver on every TV you have, but it's backfiring in the customers who've been complaining about it to us, most of them are switching to Dish.

So this is weird (Minneapolis/Mankato market)
R22 in computer room got the national version (had old SD gui)
H23 in bedroom got new update
R22 in main room is still on CE 596

so now that I have the HD GUI if I try and do a force software now on the R22 what software will I get? New HD GUI (since my market got it) or SD GUI?

and no "try it and tell us" isn't gonna work ;)
Are you wanting the nat. version on a box that already has a HD ce installed? My experience in the past is that if the CE version is a higher number than the nat., the data stream won't downgrade to national. If you try it and it finds the SD national just pull the plug or rbr before it downloads. The firmware site is showing the sd version currently. I think you have to get up at like 3 in the morning to get the nat hd version.

This gets weirder

so i tried on the H23 and the same software shows up (the HD gui)
but on the R22 it showed 04D1 which is the SD GUI

guess I'll keep the CE on the one receiver :)

Has anyone received the new HD GUI in the Dallas area? I have an HR22 in Dallas and if I recall it was scheduled for the Dallas area early this morning ~3am. I haven't checked an updated CE schedule since last week though.

Has anyone received the new HD GUI in the Dallas area? I have an HR22 in Dallas and if I recall it was scheduled for the Dallas area early this morning ~3am. I haven't checked an updated CE schedule since last week though.
I think the dates listed just mean when the rollout starts in a paticular DMA.

Nice of them to send out an email saying the new guide "is here!," prompting me to force a NR download... only to be reverted to the effing SD GUI.

Nicely done.

if the new HD GUI NR is in your DMA you shouldn't have to do anything because it will be auto-push to your box. so why were you forced into a D/L and getting the SD GUI?

if the new HD GUI NR is in your DMA you shouldn't have to do anything because it will be auto-push to your box. so why were you forced into a D/L and getting the SD GUI?

I didn't say I was forced to do a download - I am (or was) on a CE release that is a few weeks old (haven't been around to do a newer one lately) and I've been waiting for a chance to get back on a National release but still keep the HD GUI. Why it's taking so long to release the darn thing in the first place is beyond me, but that's beside the point. Guess I should have known better than to trust an email instead of checking here first, but now I'm stuck staring at this horrible interface, probably for at least four days.

The issue is right now if you have a CE you wont get the national release. I didnt on one of my R22's. It has 596 on it (the CE from NYE) whereas my other R22 that had the SD GUI got the national release

The issue is right now if you have a CE you wont get the national release. I didnt on one of my R22's. It has 596 on it (the CE from NYE) whereas my other R22 that had the SD GUI got the national release

That's very strange, but ok... So now that I'm on the NR, can I force another download to get the new software, or am I somehow stuck with this?

On the R22 that has the new national I tried ot search for new software and it popped up 04D1 which is the SD GUI
so I rebooted (or I guess aborted)

I wanted to force my main R22 to get the national but I guess I'll wait for right now

ONUOsFan said:
I didn't say I was forced to do a download - I am (or was) on a CE release that is a few weeks old (haven't been around to do a newer one lately) and I've been waiting for a chance to get back on a National release but still keep the HD GUI. Why it's taking so long to release the darn thing in the first place is beyond me, but that's beside the point. Guess I should have known better than to trust an email instead of checking here first, but now I'm stuck staring at this horrible interface, probably for at least four days.

That horrible interface ..... you mean the same one you used since you signed up, yup, that's rough...

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Got the e-mail today, and the new UI. Unimpressed. It uses up more screen real estate than the old UI did.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts