NEW HD RUMOR; 24 HD Channels for DirecTV..Bye bye Voom

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How is Directv going to keep the HD package price ($10.99 or whatever it is) in tact when adding all this content? Lots of us have deals for 6 months free and then 6 months at the regular price or whatever. D* wants to add all these channels and keep the price the same?

I am still confused how Dsicovery HD has no commercials because it is paid for, but so is ESPN and they have commercials all over it. What is the cost breakup of the $10.99 we each pay to cover the expenses for each channel? If I remember right ESPN was the most expensive, but it is by far the worst HD channel and they load it with commercials. Sounds like they are ripping us all off.

Actually I believe DiscoveryHD is the most expensive, because before the HD Pak that channel by itself was I believe $7.99 a month.

Interesting.

I would hope it was the most expensive, as it is supported by "viewers like us". It would make sense that we would be paying more to not see commercials.

When I had COX before directv i remember they were not sure if they would continue to carry ESPN becuase ESPN wanted more money for it. I have always looked at ESPN as trying to charge as much as possible, and then tack ads on top of that and up the revenue a little more.

quickfire said:
It would seem to me that if D*plans on releasing alot of HD channels at once...then the weekend of September 11th would be the time..........the FOX HD channels going online in HD ....and the NFL Sunday Ticket starting that weekend also.....this would be a backbreaker deal for D*.......it just makes sense to me!!!!Is anybody else thinking like me?????

Well, from what I've been reading, NBC-HD will be going online on 9/21, and while not an HD channel, DirecTV will also be adding GAC on the same day, so if they were planning on adding the channels all at one time, I'd say 9/21 would be a good bet. Interestingly enough, 9/21 is a Tuesday which probably would have been when BravoHD+ was added (had it not been for the Tennis), whereas the 11th is on a Saturday, and I don't think I ever remember DirecTV adding a channel on a weekend, but I could be wrong.

~Alan

Thirsty?

Wow, it looks like these rumors are spreading like wild fire.
Just to quench your thirst, yes... a few DTV reps do check out sites like this. Now, we do so on our own time and are not allowed to disclose any information that has not yet been publicly announced, or confirm/deny any rumors that may be speculated on. This being said... I can NOT tell you what channels are coming to D* in HD. I can NOT tell you when and what contracts have already been signed.
I can and will tell you that you will like what we have coming. As previously announced in a press conference with the OOP Mitchell Stern( CEO and president of DirecTV) said:
We are currently developing and expanding our relationships with HD providers. Once we have established a base line of HD programming we will be better able to service our HD subscribers. This in turn will allow us to launch an outright marketing war for the best volume of HD. To explain a little more throughly, we are crawling at a fast pace.... once we get on our feet there is nothing to stop us.

If it weren't for those words I wouldn't be able to say what follows.
It's almost here.... and when it starts... it won't stop. Contrary to popular belief... we have PLENTY of bandwidth to spare with the new sat that we just put in position. Much less... we're repositioning 1 into a new orbital position ( 72.5* ) which will continue to broadcast for new local markets that are scheduled to launch.
Yes, that is a position that DTV currently does not broadcast from.... yes it is Canadian o&o, however DTV will install a 2nd 18 inch sat dish and any needed equipment in order for current customers to receive locals from that position.
Which leaves us with the new KA satellites that were launched for The DirecTV group for another project 7 months ago. Since that project was scrapped.... we have 4 more unaccounted for broadcasting stations. :shocked Anyone see where I am going with this??
If not... have someone explain it to you... I can't say anything that hasn't been said publicly before.

So, PLEASE be patient.... you'll see that the wait is well worth it.

BTW, yes... I did go back a few pages and I did see the requests for inHD 1&2, I also saw the request for NASCAR races in HD.... IF it hasn't been scheduled yet... be assured that I'll put in a word for ya.

directvrep,

Thanks for the info we appreciate what you can or can not say but it sounds like you are very confident in the new HD channels that are coming on line so I guess we need to be paitient a little while longer.

steverobertson said:
directvrep,

Thanks for the info we appreciate what you can or can not say but it sounds like you are very confident in the new HD channels that are coming on line so I guess we need to be paitient a little while longer.

But you know that they would say anything to make sure that we don't jump ship and go some where else. Keep waving the carrot out there. :)

Hey, directvrep, how come no notice/e-mail of any type to announce the change to the HBO-HD and Showtime-HD channel assignments? I did think it was nice that both of my HD STB's picked up the change automatically and I didn't have to reset any favorite lists or season passes, but it would have been nice to be told what was happening.

TimGoodwin said:
But you know that they would say anything to make sure that we don't jump ship and go some where else. Keep waving the carrot out there. :)

True but I doubt it as there seems to be some solid information that they are adding something whatever it is.

Neutron said:
Actually I believe DiscoveryHD is the most expensive, because before the HD Pak that channel by itself was I believe $7.99 a month.
It might be expensive on Directv and Dish Net but it is part of the basic pack on VOOM. Which is strange...

vinnyv07 said:
It might be expensive on Directv and Dish Net but it is part of the basic pack on VOOM. Which is strange...
By the way Directv rep please put in a word for Starz HD...thanks...alot.

directvrep said:
Which leaves us with the new KA satellites that were launched for The DirecTV group for another project 7 months ago. Since that project was scrapped.... we have 4 more unaccounted for broadcasting stations. :shocked

So how much bandwidth are we talking about here?

I have heard that rumor too of some KA sats already up there. I think at slot 95 or something. Didn't Scott already post in this thread or another about a 5 LNB dish coming soon? There ya go. :D

bonscott87 said:
I have heard that rumor too of some KA sats already up there. I think at slot 95 or something. Didn't Scott already post in this thread or another about a 5 LNB dish coming soon? There ya go. :D

Still doesn't answer how much bandwith.

So how many channels would those KA sats provide?

chrisb said:
The ones that directvrep says are sitting around collecting space dust.
But what are they? We know about Spaceway, but I don't think those have launched yet. And we know DirecTV-8 is going to have some Ka capacity, but it hasn't launched either. I didn't think DirecTV had any Ka licenses at 95° - those are FSS. The Ka licenses are at 99 & 101, I believe. They had another somewhere near 110 (107 maybe?) but they gave that up. The DirecTV-8 and the Spaceway satellites will be using the 99 and 101 slots.

Darin said:
But what are they? We know about Spaceway, but I don't think those have launched yet. And we know DirecTV-8 is going to have some Ka capacity, but it hasn't launched either. I didn't think DirecTV had any Ka licenses at 95° - those are FSS. The Ka licenses are at 99 & 101, I believe. They had another somewhere near 110 (107 maybe?) but they gave that up. The DirecTV-8 and the Spaceway satellites will be using the 99 and 101 slots.

Beats me. I was hoping someone here knew what KA sats he was talking about.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts