NEW HD RUMOR; 24 HD Channels for DirecTV..Bye bye Voom

Status
Please reply by conversation.
FLASH - THIS JUST IN

I just received word that DirecTV plans to introduce a new Dish that features 5 (Yes 5) LNB's and has a built in switch that has 4 seperate outputs.

I will be talking to an additional contact in a bit from more rock solid specs.

I hear a lot about how D* plans to expand their HD lineup, but am wondering how D* plans to do this when their bandwidth is already so limited. Even if they do an upgrade on the satellite side that still leaves how many million receivers out there that won't have the upgrade they need. How can/will they work around that?

Scott Greczkowski said:
FLASH - THIS JUST IN

I just received word that DirecTV plans to introduce a new Dish that features 5 (Yes 5) LNB's and has a built in switch that has 4 seperate outputs.

Why not just add an actuator arm to move the dish into place? Oh wait that was the old technology of the C-Band days. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Scott Greczkowski said:
FLASH - THIS JUST IN

Interesting not sure if this is good or bad for me? I have a 3 dish setup now because of trees if I have to add another dish my wife will kill me. Also what is the point of a new dish are there going to be other birds we have to hit to get all the HD channels that they are going to offer? What does this mean for our current receivers?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Let's analyze...

DirecTV only has authorization to use 72.5 until September, 2008. So, besides the fact that 72.5 is too far away from DirecTV's core between 101 and 119 to build a dish this large, a 5 LNB dish which includes 72.5 is out.

Now, DirecTV has DBS-band frequencies at 101, 110, and 119. That is three LNB's. DirecTV also controls three Ka-band frequencies at 99, 101, and 103. The same LNB for DBS-band at 101 could also be used for Ka-band, so add an additional two LNBs for 99 and 103, and you get a five LNB dish.

pradike said:
Everyone loves a fair weather fan, huh?

THis isn't the same thing as being a Dodgers fan one minute, and a Cardinals fan the next simply because the Cards are ahead in the playoffs race. Being a fan of HD you're going to choose the one providing the BEST HD.

Even with D* adding all the local providers on the dish twice (CBS HD E/W, NBC E/W, ABC HD E/W) is not very compelling, BravoHD is already on Voom it's been there, as have TNTHD, ESPNHD, and they have more premium HD channels. Now D* is catching up that's good. They want to get competetive and catch up, that still doesn't make them the king of HD as Scott G. said IMO. However it may give the people who already have D* less incentive to go with V*. Voom is still offering my my FSN FL in HD, and a host of other channels not available on D*, their next move seems to be to upgrade to WM9/Mpeg4 which could potentially lead to having excellent PQ quality, and a 2nd satellite, which could lead to even more HD channels.

I speculate that whatever Voom does that makes it look more attractive to customers, D* will counter. However, D* with 12 million subs, had the resources to prevent a V* from even popping up on the market by leading the HD revolution, and chose not too. Now with more attention going to HD not just from videophiles, D*'s stance is changing to "oh sh** let's do something.. hey ! Look at us!! We are going to be HD big time supporters too!! Woohoo!!"

I like this fight, and I have a soft spot for the underdog, but if the punch-counterpunch scenario happens and keeps unfolding between the 3 DBS providers, only us, the HD enthusiasts are going to gain. What VOom needs is more subs to keep driving D* insane, heh. If VOom goes under, and D* is sitting with 22 HD channels (8 of them local OTA available channels in two time zones) and E* is sitting pretty with 15. Do you really think D* is going to keep pushing to add more HD?

Ok more on the new Dish, the new Dish will measure in at a whopping 85 Centermeters 33.46 INCHES or 2.78 feet.

It will feature 5 LNB's and will look at the following satellites 72, 95, 101, 110, 119.

Receivers which work with the currently 3LNB Dish will work fine with the new Dish.

After speaking to my contact at DirecTV I talked to a friend at one of their warehouses who was kind of surprised I knew about it and told me they were not happy with the new Dish because of its large size. I am told this Dish is going to be a bitch to ship.

More as I know it.

Of course as always this information should be considered a rumor. :D

Im guessing that the 72 location is the one acquired from Telesat but what is the 95 location from? It seems to be Galaxy 3C which is the Directv Latin America and Brazil sat. Anyone have any theories?
Will there be some kind of external multiswitch that will accept feeds from Phase III and either two smaller dishes pointing at these other locations or maybee even two Phase III (one pointing at the main 3 and the other pointing at the other 2 or is the range between 72 and 95 too large)

New Dish

Scott,

Thx for the info...2 things: 1) any news on availability/timing and 2) cost to upgrade? i presume directv will run a promo, any news on that?

LP

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok more on the new Dish, the new Dish will measure in at a whopping 85 Centermeters 33.46 INCHES or 2.78 feet.

Glad that I'm already on a ground mount :D

Thanks Scott good news on the receivers. No w I guess the question is what is going to be on 95? I think the 72 is for locals from what I have read for the additional 24 markets they are adding.

ljp416jmp said:
Scott,

Thx for the info...2 things: 1) any news on availability/timing and 2) cost to upgrade? i presume directv will run a promo, any news on that?

LP
I am told that this could be available imediately after CEDIA is done. Theis seems to be true as the warehouse is waiting for the Dish's to arrive.

No word on Cost to upgrade, I assume DirecTV will do the right thing. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
No word on Cost to upgrade, I assume DirecTV will do the right thing. :D

One Year Contract Per LNB installed? Charge you upfront for new receivers if needed? Increase the cost of the HD pack?

Scott Greczkowski said:

It will feature 5 LNB's and will look at the following satellites 72, 95, 101, 110, 119.

Receivers which work with the currently 3LNB Dish will work fine with the new Dish.

After speaking to my contact at DirecTV I talked to a friend at one of their warehouses who was kind of surprised I knew about it and told me they were not happy with the new Dish because of its large size. I am told this Dish is going to be a bitch to ship.

More as I know it.

Of course as always this information should be considered a rumor. :D

95 is Directv Latin America.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am told that this could be available imediately after CEDIA is done. Theis seems to be true as the warehouse is waiting for the Dish's to arrive.
Perhaps this is D*TV's answer to the SHIVA mandate on one dish per household (only) per vendor?

OR

Perhaps it's a preventive strike for the use of the new sats (8S & 9S) next year in conjunction with their current arsenal?

Oh the speculation...... :D

Dvlos said:
I like this fight, and I have a soft spot for the underdog, but if the punch-counterpunch scenario happens and keeps unfolding between the 3 DBS providers, only us, the HD enthusiasts are going to gain...
Numerically (channel wise), D*TV is the underdog right now...so I guess you're rooting for them, huh?

By the way, D*TV is up to about 14 million subscribers, while Voom is at about 28,000 - which do you think will drive the marketplace? DUH :D

pradike said:
Numerically (channel wise), D*TV is the underdog right now...so I guess you're rooting for them, huh?

By the way, D*TV is up to about 14 million subscribers, while Voom is at about 28,000 - which do you think will drive the marketplace? DUH :D

In HD channels D* is the underdog when it should be the leader, in SD channels I think D* is #1 right now.

14 Million subs of which how many are only signed up with D* because of HD? Are you comparing apples to oranges here? :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)