NEW HD RUMOR; 24 HD Channels for DirecTV..Bye bye Voom

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The dish is going to be huge!! I hope this thing works with my existing switch. I currently have a phase 3 going to an Eagle Aspen. Hopefully it will not require anymore cables run either as we just finished the basement and running anymore cables from the dish to the basement is going to be a bitch.

Dejavue all over again. Wasn't it just about this time last year when we were talking about Superdish, how big it was and how everythings going to hook together??? I hope D*'s plans for this monster work out better then E*'s did.

Dvlos said:
14 Million subs of which how many are only signed up with D* because of HD? Are you comparing apples to oranges here? :rolleyes:
OK, 500,000 (D*TV) to 28,000(Voom) with HD. Still no contest. :D

The info on the new dish will be interesting - keep us informed (as usual) Scott !!! :cool:

The 95 slot from D* Latin America is interesting, if D* wanted to provide service from 95 wouldn't they need FCC approval first?

bleodler said:
The 95 slot from D* Latin America is interesting, if D* wanted to provide service from 95 wouldn't they need FCC approval first?

The 95 slot is KU-FSS, probably already licensed for the US. The problem with 72.5 was that it was KU-DBS which was not licensed.

pradike said:
OK, 500,000 (D*TV) to 28,000(Voom) with HD. Still no contest. :D

Of course, there are more D* HD customers (and I am still one of them). So what? There are and there will be for the foreseeing future more HD channels on Voom than on D*. Still no contest. :D

If this rumor is true, there will be even less people who will be able to get all the satellites. From 72 to 119 there is a 60 degree difference. You would need a clear shot at the southwest sky from 193 - 253.

satman69 said:
If this rumor is true, there will be even less people who will be able to get all the satellites. From 72 to 119 there is a 60 degree difference. You would need a clear shot at the southwest sky from 193 - 253.

Well not really. 72.5 is for 24 small markets only, probably less than 5% of households served from there. Most would only need from 95 to 119, 6 more degrees than before. They are probably making 2 versions of this dish, one for 72.5 one without. Reports of the 72.5 one are out because they have to be shipping these around and training has to start for the launch of those markets. Perhaps just a different bracket for the 2 versions.

It just doesn't make sense to me that they'd even make a single dish to cover 72.5°. That position is only going to be used temporarily until they can move those markets back to their "own" slots, and so few customers are going to need it anyway. Why go to the bother to design such a monster for such a small market when a second dish can simply be used, which can be taken down later when 72.5 isn't used any more?

Darin said:
It just doesn't make sense to me that they'd even make a single dish to cover 72.5°. That position is only going to be used temporarily until they can move those markets back to their "own" slots, and so few customers are going to need it anyway. Why go to the bother to design such a monster for such a small market when a second dish can simply be used, which can be taken down later when 72.5 isn't used any more?

Remember 72.5 is a high power KU-DBS satellite, and only needs a small dish to receive. The dish would have to be big for the KU-DBS 95 slot like SuperDish. The 72.5 addition will not add to the size of the dish. In fact it is 119 that causes the problem with the dish size not 72.5. 72.5 is a freebie.

Remember the Dish has to be centered on 95 since it is Ku-FSS. 119 is 26 degrees from 95, 72.5 is only 22.5 degrees away.

Maybe so, but if they are going to the trouble to design a single dish to include 72.5 (still have to have the integrated LNB), why exclude Ka? DirecTV-8 and the Spaceway satellites will be up next year. If this dish has 5 LNBs, and will include 72.5° and 95°, it couldn't include Ka capability. Seems kind of short sighted. Of course, they could design it such that the LNB head can be replaced with one with more LNBs at a later date, it just seems strange to put a higher priority on 72.5 at this point, when a separate dish would so easily take care of it.

slacker9876 said:
Unless ... they can update firmware to host MPEG4 compatibility. Is that a stupid thought or can this be accomplished?
Very unlikely. These things have dedicated hardware MPEG decoders. Decoding MPEG4 would require more processing than MPEG2. I'm not aware of any current DirecTV boxes that have decoders that can handle both MPEG2 and MPEG4, and a firmware upgrade would not be enough to "change" an MPEG2 decoder into an MPEG4 decoder.

But just because new boxes may be shipping with MPEG4 capability doesn't mean our current boxes are suddenly obsolete. They could (and should) be providing the capability for an upgrade that will happen down the road. If they were to start using MPEG4 five years down the road, shipping MPEG4 boxes now would ensure that much of their installed base will be compatible by then. That reduces the number of boxes that have to be changed out. I wouldn't get too upset just yet.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok more on the new Dish, the new Dish will measure in at a whopping 85 Centermeters 33.46 INCHES or 2.78 feet.

It will feature 5 LNB's and will look at the following satellites 72, 95, 101, 110, 119.

Receivers which work with the currently 3LNB Dish will work fine with the new Dish.

This would work out quite good for me as I seem to have an issue with the LNB on my Phase III dish as one of the receivers seems to have lower signals than the other two, and doesn't display three HBO channels on the receiver. Since I spent a lot of money on upgrading the dish to Phase III earlier this year, I didn't really feel like buying another one... at least until I find out what locals would become available on DirecTV-8 next year...

However, as to why DirecTV might choose to put 72.5 on this dish, it's possible they do so so that the HD customers in the 24 markets are easily upgraded to HDTV should they choose to take advantage.

~Alan

Dvlos: you can keep calling your lame Voom the leader all you want, but we all know it's wishful thinking and just trying to convence yourself of it also.
with 25,000 viewers and dropping.....Voom leads NOTHING!

slacker9876 said:
Oh that is just peachy! Looks like my HTL-HD that II love will soon be a paperweight? Unless ... they can update firmware to host MPEG4 compatibility. Is that a stupid thought or can this be accomplished?

Slacker,

You know you love that paperweight! Besides ole Ruperts people ain§t so dumb to piss of millions of customers with old equipment. Just smart enough to make monez selling them the latest greatest stuff.

Hell Raiser said:
I'll pound another pin into my head for each day that passes without a new HD channel, Hurry UP DirecTV I am running out of room!!
maybe you can put them in your other end, so you can get a better picture of how we feel about you! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)