New Hopper Model?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
All I can tell ya is good luck... HwS is $200 per receiver for all existing customers.

Just to make this publicly visible, the new Hopper with Sling (Hopper W/S) are $200 at best for existing customers. Regular Hoppers are $50 at best. We are unable to discount the upgrade costs.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/279754-Hopper-Upgrades?p=3078003#post3078003

HwS won't be free (or cheap) because it is brand new and in limited supply. Thus why Dish isn't even mentioning them yet. Just because a tech site talks about it doesn't mean that Dish is obligated to give them out for cheap or free...

So with that my advice to you is to either pony up the $200, or wait for the price to (inevitably) go down.

I am a new customer with an install scheduled on Sat.
I only want the Hopper /w sling. I called and rep said the HWS is what is on the ticket and that is what will be installed. My email says Hopper with Sling. And I told him that I would probably refuse and re-schedule the install if he only has a hopper w/o sling. (I will ask the tech when he calls and double check when he arives) The CSR asured me that I would definatly get a HWS since that is what is on the work order.

So my question is should I refuse the install if the tech only has a Hopper 1?
Or, let him install it with a guarantee that I will get a HWS?

I am a new customer with an install scheduled on Sat.
I only want the Hopper /w sling. I called and rep said the HWS is what is on the ticket and that is what will be installed. My email says Hopper with Sling. And I told him that I would probably refuse and re-schedule the install if he only has a hopper w/o sling. (I will ask the tech when he calls and double check when he arives) The CSR asured me that I would definatly get a HWS since that is what is on the work order.

Or, let him install it with a guarantee that I will get a HWS?
I would get it in writing and possibly even talk to the installers supervisor if he shows up with the Hopper 1 that you will get the HWS, and make sure they give you a hard date on when you will get it. If you can't get it in writing, and the supervisor won't commit to it, then refuse the install, and call the dish back and make sure they don't mark you down as an existing customer and reschedule the install.

HwS won't be free (or cheap) because it is brand new and in limited supply. Thus why Dish isn't even mentioning them yet. Just because a tech site talks about it doesn't mean that Dish is obligated to give them out for cheap or free...

I have to disagree with Dish not even mentioning the Hopper w/ Sling. From the first day they were released, Dish's website was promoting it, and if you were to sign up for service on the website the Hopper w/ Sling was the ONLY Hopper you could get. they didn't give you the option of getting other Hopper 1.

I would get it in writing and possibly even talk to the installers supervisor if he shows up with the Hopper 1 that you will get the HWS, and make sure they give you a hard date on when you will get it. If you can't get it in writing, and the supervisor won't commit to it, then refuse the install, and call the dish back and make sure they don't mark you down as an existing customer and reschedule the install.

Excellent advice! Thx!

I'd refuse it. I theorize that it puts a lot more pressure on the install company to get you what you want versus dragging their heels on replacing it some time down the road. Once you sign off, you've agreed that they're done and a I suspect the urgency goes away.

UPDATE Hopper w/Sling

Home Theater Sound

For those that use a A/V receiver in their system, and have experienced sound issues such as background music or noise louder than the spoken word, your issues may be resolved. I have had problems with the seven speaker sound using the VIP 622 and my Onyko A/V receiver for a long time. Have tried numerous settings on the Onyko with little improvements. The new Hopper has the SRS TruVolume technology (to prevent annoying volume fluctuations) built in. I had their original add on unit, that was an helpful, but not nearly as good as what the Hopper has built in. It would drive my Wife crazy. Without changing any settings on the A/V receiver we now can listen to a ballgame or the Tonight show and actually understand what is being spoken with music or crowd noise in the background!

External Hard Drive

After waiting for all software to install I plugged in my external hard drive from my previous VIP 622 and chose to install ALL previous stored programs. Most of those 100 or so programs really should be deleted, but added them to the new Hopper 2TB hard drive to check it out. Transfer took over 15 hours and with programing of one day only, the drive was only 38% full. I sorted them by date (not folders) so there are now Icons w/pictures after all newer recordings till I start deleting some.

This is an impressive equipment upgrade well worth the $200 fee ($400) and two year commitment.

I have to disagree with Dish not even mentioning the Hopper w/ Sling. From the first day they were released, Dish's website was promoting it, and if you were to sign up for service on the website the Hopper w/ Sling was the ONLY Hopper you could get. they didn't give you the option of getting other Hopper 1.

I was talking about existing customers.

Starting this week Dish has now made the Hopper with Sling the default Hopper receiver when someone signs up for Dish. That would be for new customers, for existing customers wanting to upgrade you would have to specifically ask for the Hopper with Sling. There is no requirement for Dish or any retailer to automatically offer a customer the newest Hopper. Some places may prefer to get rid of their current Hopper inventory first before they offer the Hopper with Sling unless the customer says they want it. This is not illegal or dirty in any way, just means the customer should do a little homework first in order to know what they want.

My Dad is an existing customer and just upgraded to the Hopper today. He was able to get the new HwS for free. It was the first HwS his installer had installed.

I am a new customer with an install scheduled on Sat. I only want the Hopper /w sling. I called and rep said the HWS is what is on the ticket and that is what will be installed. My email says Hopper with Sling. And I told him that I would probably refuse and re-schedule the install if he only has a hopper w/o sling. (I will ask the tech when he calls and double check when he arives) The CSR asured me that I would definatly get a HWS since that is what is on the work order. So my question is should I refuse the install if the tech only has a Hopper 1? Or, let him install it with a guarantee that I will get a HWS?
I'd refuse it. I theorize that it puts a lot more pressure on the install company to get you what you want versus dragging their heels on replacing it some time down the road. Once you sign off, you've agreed that they're done and a I suspect the urgency goes away.
I ABSOLUTELY would refuse it. I would not allow him in the door until I checked the box to ensure it was the correct model. You can count on NOT getting the old model replaced later by the new, without an exchange of coin of the realm.

I ABSOLUTELY would refuse it. I would not allow him in the door until I checked the box to ensure it was the correct model. You can count on NOT getting the old model replaced later by the new, without an exchange of coin of the realm.

I agree. If you requested the new Hopper with Sling and they showed up with the old one you should just cancel the job right there and reschedule when the have the correct equipment.

My Dad is an existing customer and just upgraded to the Hopper today. He was able to get the new HwS for free. It was the first HwS his installer had installed.

Nice! How long has he had Dish and what receiver did he have before?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Reminds me of when I upgraded to 722k, was prepared to refuse install if they showed up with 622/722. Luckily they showed up with 722ks :D .

Nice! How long has he had Dish and what receiver did he have before?

He had a single 722 and went to a HwS/2Joey setup for him and my Mom. He told the Dish lady on chat he specifically wanted a HwS, it was noted on the account, but the guy showed up with a standard. Luckily, he had one on the truck, but he said it was $200. He said that the chat lady said it was a free upgrade. Apparently, they both tried to get ahold of DIsh, and kept getting cut off. I guess, finally, someone in retentions dept. granted it for free. He was ready to cancel the upgrade if it wasn't gonna be free, and most likely switch to our city run FIOS. He's had Dish for 3 or 4 years now, I'd guess.

When I upgraded to the hopper, the main thing that kept me with Dish over AES was Sling. Once Tivo gets a remote viewing ability (not just copy shows), I'll probably say bye-bye to Dish. AES was a bit more expensive, but much less so now that Dish upped the prices. The nice thing is this is for a CIty of 12k, I know the head technical guy, he lives 2 blocks from me. I went to several of the city council meetings for the beta test of TV service. I still haven't taken up an offer to see their TV head end, but they said it'd be no problem to have a look. I went to highschool with the 2 customer service reps.

http://www.ci.auburn.in.us/files/6813/5238/6244/AES_Channel_Guide.pdf

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts