New Hopper OS With Larger Font Option

It would be nice if somebody at CES would let Dish know what we think about this...
To a large degree, I'll bet the design is done. They're not going to change it based on "feedback" here. They can consider the things said for future updates, but at this point, they're (probably) working on stability of the interface, not the look of it.

Reactions: navychop
Perhaps the simplest solution is to create a 'smallest' option in addition to the Small and Large options now available. If the font was just one or two points smaller, three hours of guide data could probably be displayed.

People wanting larger fonts could have their choice and those who wanted more information displayed could have theirs. If someone complained about the size being too small they could step up to the next size.

People are presuming there's only (2) options for the guide - the (2) shown, normal and large. There could definitely be a "small" option. On the 622/722/722k, there were quite a few options for the guide.

Wonder if this is a skin on top of the existing back end or a total re-write of the OS. Starting over from scratch would certainly be one way to breath some life back into the OG Hopper and Joey.
Viveck (sp?) said it was a total rebuild.

Reactions: DustoMan
Looks good to me. I experience a lot of lag when navigating the menus, so hopefully this makes it more responsive. We'll see, tho'.

Great, put a silk dress on a pig, it's sill a pig. At least I guess we now know what's holding up doing work that actually needs to be done. Who gives a sh*t if it works right, as long as it's purdy....I really want to punch one of those a**holes in the face right now.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jim S. and foghorn2
Would be nice if there were an option to change that...like the banners.

back on the 622, you could control the amt of info in the guide.. which was very nice... those of both ends of the spectrum (more info vs. larger text) could get what they wanted..

I'm happy to see the new larger font option. It will be a great help for anyone having a hard time reading the smaller present guide. I did not see when Dish will start the upgrade. How soon can we expect to see the new larger font option?

To a large degree, I'll bet the design is done. They're not going to change it based on "feedback" here. They can consider the things said for future updates, but at this point, they're (probably) working on stability of the interface, not the look of it.
I would actually say your wrong and that they are looking for feedback.

Most of the screens you saw we mock ups not real working screens.

Showing it at CES was a way to get feedback and go forward from there.

Dish is watching so if you have an idea then let it rip! (the idea not anything else please.)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm happy to see the new larger font option. It will be a great help for anyone having a hard time reading the smaller present guide. I did not see when Dish will start the upgrade. How soon can we expect to see the new larger font option?
I just noticed the small, medium, and large font option in the new VIP series receivers I recently set up on my commercial account at work. I can't remember if they were there back when I was using VIP at home. So, this is something very real at Dish, and only a matter of time for the Hopper.

I just noticed the small, medium, and large font option in the new VIP series receivers I recently set up on my commercial account at work. I can't remember if they were there back when I was using VIP at home. So, this is something very real at Dish, and only a matter of time for the Hopper.
Where do you find those in the menus?

This isn't guide font-related, but I noticed on some other screenshots that had app and DVR tiles, that the 3rd row of tiles appeared to be cut off at the bottom of the screen on some of them, but there appeared to be plenty of empty space between the rows to fit the 3rd row of tiles in without cutting them off.

I also think they should give the customer the option of what font size they want, if they want PIP in the EPG and so on like they did with the pre-Hopper DVR's.

I would actually say your wrong and that they are looking for feedback.

Most of the screens you saw we mock ups not real working screens.

Showing it at CES was a way to get feedback and go forward from there.

Dish is watching so if you have an idea then let it rip! (the idea not anything else please.)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Ok, if you are going to provide a guide and a ota dongle, then please make sure the guide has info and accurate for all channels, every other provider has up to date accurate guide data. That should be primary, the fancy visual stuff to impress others in the industry is second.

Ok, if you are going to provide a guide and a ota dongle, then please make sure the guide has info and accurate for all channels, every other provider has up to date accurate guide data. That should be primary, the fancy visual stuff to impress others in the industry is second.
I agree and if they want to make it easier for DISH and or Echostar, they could do what I have suggested before. Let the receivers use the PSIP data for ota sub channels that aren't carried by the satellite. That way DISH would only be responsible for uploading the guide data for ota channels that have satellite equivalents in each dma. Now the PSIP data wouldn't go out very far ,but I know the DISH Pal PlUS dvr that is for ota only ,works that way. You might only get manual timers for the sub channels because of no full guide out 8 days ,but we all know what is on at any time of the day . We get a full guide to see what is on and DISH doesn't have to fool with maintaining the epg for all these subs channels and the various moves associated with them in each dma. THIS ONE thing would be the biggest improvement they could make if they aren't going to work to maintain the full guide for all sub channels. Without full correct guide data for the ota channels, the hopper comes in second to TIVO in that regard.

Reactions: foghorn2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)