New Install Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BlueLemon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Florida
I just ordered DirecTV service tonight (to be installed on the 10th). I will have 3 (non-DVR) HD receivers. My question is, Is an internet connection required when the installer comes out to setup service? There's a good chance I won't have internet service just yet. Also I live in an apartment. How do they install in apartments? Do they use the same cable outlet already in my wall?

You don't need an internet connection. If you want on demand then you do. Depending upon the cabling you already have, you may need to have new cables run. I just noticed you joined over six years ago and this is only your second post! Wow!

You don't need an internet connection. If you want on demand then you do. Depending upon the cabling you already have, you may need to have new cables run. I just noticed you joined over six years ago and this is only your second post! Wow!

I will have my internet from the cable company. Will that be an issue? Also If I need you cables run that's not an extra charge is it since I live in an apartment right?

If they run internet on the old cable lines you will need new cable for the Directv boxes. There shouldn't be any extra charge for that.

On Demand isn't an option for him. You need an HDDVR or R22 to be able to access on demand

If they run internet on the old cable lines you will need new cable for the Directv boxes. There shouldn't be any extra charge for that.

So I'm asking now just out of pure curiosity and a real interest in the process. How much of a job is it going to be for the installer to run cables to the living room and two bedrooms since I live in an apt? I don't know if it adds to the difficulty level, but I live on the first floor.

Depending upon the layout, he may have to go around the door jambs or other openings. It's not more difficult, just time consuming.

Depending upon the layout, he may have to go around the door jambs or other openings. It's not more difficult, just time consuming.
Hey Chip,
Been traveling and away for a while. Let me add from the installer point of view...........apartments can be bad news for installations. The dish will need the correct line of sight (LOS). As you correctly point out the cabling will have to be routed through doors or windows. All this must be approved my the apartment management before the installation can begin AND some of the typical installation hardware can cause what apartment management could call damage worthy of security deposit deductions. Cabling inside the unit will be difficult to hide. Some installers will not run cable under the carpet because of the damage potential, leaving baseboards with cable clipped to it.

Some apartment settings are no issue and some are impossible. The cable company should not be dismissed until after the DirecTv is running. Start with written permission to proceed. Hope for the best.

Joe

Hey Chip,
Been traveling and away for a while. Let me add from the installer point of view...........apartments can be bad news for installations. The dish will need the correct line of sight (LOS). As you correctly point out the cabling will have to be routed through doors or windows. All this must be approved my the apartment management before the installation can begin AND some of the typical installation hardware can cause what apartment management could call damage worthy of security deposit deductions. Cabling inside the unit will be difficult to hide. Some installers will not run cable under the carpet because of the damage potential, leaving baseboards with cable clipped to it.

Some apartment settings are no issue and some are impossible. The cable company should not be dismissed until after the DirecTv is running. Start with written permission to proceed. Hope for the best.

Joe

Well I talked to the property mgr and she said the mgmt company has no problem with satellite service (as I could tell by the number of dishes in the complex). She said that all that needed to be done was for me to sign a satellite addendum which she has everyone sign when they sign their lease. So all is well with that. She also told me that the only rule is the dish can not be mounted to the building and must be installed as close to the building as possible and not out in the middle of an area. She also mentioned that the installers around my area already know the complexes policy well and usually install without any issue at all. She also told me that most installers are able to tap into the cables already installed in the building.

Well I talked to the property mgr and she said the mgmt company has no problem with satellite service (as I could tell by the number of dishes in the complex). She said that all that needed to be done was for me to sign a satellite addendum which she has everyone sign when they sign their lease. So all is well with that. She also told me that the only rule is the dish can not be mounted to the building and must be installed as close to the building as possible and not out in the middle of an area. She also mentioned that the installers around my area already know the complexes policy well and usually install without any issue at all. She also told me that most installers are able to tap into the cables already installed in the building.

Sounds like a good start..............you might consider rigging a SMAT (System Master Antenna) system that would serve all the DirecTv customers from a single dish. The dish farm look would go away. Also the residents who have no line of sight (LOS) would be able to use the system. The apartment management folks might even help pay for it. They could operate it for $$$$.

Joe

So I'm asking now just out of pure curiosity and a real interest in the process. How much of a job is it going to be for the installer to run cables to the living room and two bedrooms since I live in an apt? I don't know if it adds to the difficulty level, but I live on the first floor.

The first issue is placement of the antenna. In apartments, the general rule of thumb is the antenna must be mounted to your exclusive space. That would be your patio or balcony.
If that area has line of sight to the satellites, the next issue is cabling. Generally apartment managers do not permit drill penetrations through the walls. If the tech can get to the building terminal where the inside cabling terminates on the siding of the building and provided the enclosure( cable companies will frown on any entry into their property) the installer can connect to these cables. That is, if they are marked.
Some apartment complexes are satellite friendly. Most are not.
If were in your shoes I would check with the apartment manger's office before the installer comes out. In fact, you should do this as soon as possible.
If the management has restrictions, you may want to call the satellite company and reschedule until such time as you can get your ducks in a row. Ask them if there is a required "letter of permission" to install a satellite system.
Typically we would not install on a rental property without one.
Well...I did not read thru the entire thread. And it looks loke you'll have smooth sailing.
Like I stated earlier, some apartment complexes are satellite friendly. Looks like you are in luck! Hope all goes well.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)