New Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spud farmer

Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Northern California
My wife and I just built a new house. We ran a set of 2 Rg-6 cables to each of the 3 places we wanted to have Direct TV service from the dish location. We have 2 SD Tivo DVR's and 1 HD Direct TV DVR. Direct TV installed an HD Dish with a 6 input 8 output multiswitch. We have sat service to 1 Tivo and the HD Dvr. The other Tivo reports no sat signal on either lead.
My question is do we have a bad multiswitch or what?

Thanks for any help.

John

John,
Go to the multiswitch and identify the lines running each set. Number the lines, there should be six and two spare ports. When you are sure you have the four lines running the two working receivers, connect the two remainding lines to known good ports. Then try the two spare ports.

OR

You could disconnect all the lines and connect one..then find where it is running a TV. Use that port to test all lines. This will be a lot of running.......back and forth......if you can move a TV & receiver to the multswitch it will be easier, depending on the size of the set.

The multiswitch ports are independent so you could have a few bad ones.......or a bad receiver or defective fittings some where...........Might even be worthwhile to open the outlet plate of the non working receiver and look at the fittings there first.

Report success,

Joe

Joe,

I checked the cables at the non functional Tivo and all are ok. Will try your suggestions when the weather moderates (Wind and Snow now).

Thanks,

John

John,
Another approach if you are snowed in.........move the problem receiver to a working location. If the problem moves it is the receiver. If the receiver works elsewhere the problem is the fittings, cable or multiswitch ports.

Also this gives you something to do when it is too wet to plow.

Joe

Joe,

Turns out the Tivo died during the move. The hard disc still functions and we can watch the stuff that was there. Thanks for the help, I guess we will be upgrading to a new HD dvr receiver.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)