New installation nightmare

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
My uncle wants Dish Network because he wants the HD channels and Setanta Sports, he's from Ireland.

Months ago his wife ordered E* but the installer that got there told her that it was not gonna be possible to do it because of LOS, too many trees. I said OK, let me bring my dish, receiver and will do a survey and see if we can find the satellites we need.

I remembered Van's advise (thanks Van) of puting the dish on your lap to do a quick survey and found 119 and 119 with upper 90s signal on both in one location but no 129. There was a big tree to the West of that spot so I moved a few feet away and found 129 easily. So I told him, "you can get it but you'll need 2 dishes and we will need to setup a couple of poles in those locations. Also when you order make sure you tell them that because of trees in the property you will need two dishes".

He ordered the next day with me there and told them that 2 dishes will be needed. He gets a Sunday morning appt. for the installation.

Sunday comes along and installer shows up. He says he doesn't do any trenching so those poles won't work for him, he can only install the dish on the house. So my uncle tells him, "OK go ahead and find the satellites on top of the house". He comes back and says, "too many trees there I won't be able to install it on the house". So he tries the pole with a 1000.2 and he finds 119 and 110 but not 129, "you can't get 129 on this spot and I don't have a second dish for the second location. We will need to reschedule for Tueday". No $hit Einstein. At this point my uncle is pissed off and tells him OK, let's reschedule for Tuesday.

I went there on Sunday and we did the trenching and put some conduit and ran the cables from the poles to the side of the house where CATV and the ground is.

My uncle takes today off so he can be there, the installer shows up today and he says that he doesn't have a second dish either that he's gonna have to reschedule. He also says that he's not doing anything today because it will be an incomplete job. WTF is going on here? How difficult is it to bring or carry a spare second dish? Why isn't the information conveyed to the installers the first time and why didn't the first installer made notes that they needed to bring a second dish?

What's going on with Dish Network? I see posts every day about these installation problems or better said nightmares. Why can't they get their $hit together? :mad:

what kind of tech come out there if i show up to the job and i don't have what i need they will bring it to me. why don't people cery extra dish 500's in there trucks. i have at least 10 dish 500, 5 1000.2, 1 118, and 1 SD

That's the type of installers he got. The first one was a DNS installer and the second one a sub-contractor. He did the poles for them, we ran the cables for them all they need to do is run the cables to the rooms and setup the dishes.

The moment these guys showed up they just didn't want to do anything, they just wanted to cancel the order. Why is there so much miscommunication at Dish Network?

I would install it myself but he's getting a 722 and a 222, that's over $800 just for the receivers. So he's trying to get them to install the equipment and hopefully they don't screw up anything with the house.

BTW, my title is "installation nightmare" but it hasn't even been installed. :(

Well DNS guys are suppoed to have atleast two extra dish parts but its possible that he may have had to give his extra dish(s) to someone else that needed it or he is just another example of a bad tech who didnt make sure he had all his supplies. The same could be said about the sub but you pretty much know my take on most all subs.

Glad the advice helped you out, at this point I would recommend contacting Claude and ordering the second dish from him seeing as it could very well be two more weeks before someone gets theyr sh*t together.

I have a spare 500 dish but don't have a spare DP dual. I could let him borrow mine (I got at 1000.2 and a 500 for 61.5) while he gets a new one and can set it for him in no time. But they'll probably just find another excuse not to install. "Oh, you have a dish already installed. Sorry, can't do it".

Well you could email your saga to Charlie. Maybe someone could educate the techs. that installs are supposed to be done at the customers convenience not inconvenience.

Well you could email your saga to Charlie. Maybe someone could educate the techs. that installs are supposed to be done at the customers convenience not inconvenience.

We did send an email to ceo@echostar.com, let's see what they have to say. He told me that he might as well just go with Comcast because this is ridiculous. If he decides to give E* another chance, I'll setup the second dish for him so hopefully there won't be any more excuses.

what kind of tech come out there if i show up to the job and i don't have what i need they will bring it to me. why don't people cery extra dish 500's in there trucks. i have at least 10 dish 500, 5 1000.2, 1 118, and 1 SD

wow. I always carry a couple of extra 500 kits and assortment of LNB's, but my office would never let me carry extra 1000.2 or SD's.
It would be nice to be prepared for that many scenarios tho. We have to check out our stuff every day, and check it back in in the morning, -what we used. We'd better be prepared to back up what we used with workorders and paperwork too, because alot of the time the eq doesn't get put on the job for unknown reasons.

That's the type of installers he got. The first one was a DNS installer and the second one a sub-contractor. He did the poles for them, we ran the cables for them all they need to do is run the cables to the rooms and setup the dishes.

The moment these guys showed up they just didn't want to do anything, they just wanted to cancel the order. Why is there so much miscommunication at Dish Network?

That sounds like easy money to me. Most of the work is already done, plus they get paid for the wing dish!

That sounds like easy money to me. Most of the work is already done, plus they get paid for the wing dish!

Exactly. I know we have a lot of installers on the forum and I do appreciate the hard work that most of you do but there are some hackers and lazy installers out there and that's why we see a lot of posts about these nightmares.

I've read about the long hours and all the crap you the installers have to put up with but these two guys just simply don't want to work and they have zero sympathy from me. They just didn't want to do the job, period.

the only issue with the two dishes and a 1000.2 is that the second 129 can t be seen with the 1000.2 if there is even the slightest signal hitting dish 1 on the 129.. tip for you is to use dpp twin and a duel or use the 1000.2 and cover the last horn with electrical tape ( i know thats kinda ghetto but)

There is no such thing as reschedule for a 2nd dish, all jobs are to be done the same day unless there is a equipment shortage.

and it's happened twice. Two times they couldn't do the job because they didn't have a second dish. What kind of technician goes to a house without spare equipment? There's probably shortage of equipment but twice they just showed up and left because they din't have a second dish, give me a F....ing break.

if it happens again before they leave have them call the office and talk to their GM and give them hell it is not wright to treat customers like they did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)