New Mini-BUD C-Band Install (It Can Be Done!)* Part 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
@Titanium, ok, just wanted to make sure, since the heat sink on the LNB I have is already pointing up for the most part. Another idea for you is to maybe include a small hole in the side of the LNB bracket, where it bolts to a round LNB arm; in case of people like me using the bracket for a Mini-BUD install. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Christopher,

How has reception been on 99W? Have you encountered a lot of dropouts or has it been fairly reliable reception?

@Jason, after I got my C-Band miniBUD first set up, I pulled down 30+ clear channels, and a bunch of clear radio channels. Only 2 of the TV channels came in weak, but 2 our of 30+ I'm not complaining. I live in Lexington, KY. right in the bullseye of the footprint. Go to Satbeams site to study the footprint where you live. I'm going to see what other C-Band satellites I can pull in soon. :)

Your photos show the electronics on the bottom. Have you rotated the feedhorn 180 degrees from the placement shown in the photos?

On your dish, when installing the GEOSATpro C-band clamp, the side LNBF support arms install in the lower set of holes. This lowers the arm and places feedhorn in the sweet spot and gets the arms out of the way for their clamp design to accommodate a scalar.

Since Titanium products distribute worldwide and are likely installed on hundreds of different dish designs, we make the clamp generic with the most common bolt placement and riser height. If the holes need to be enlarged or a new ones added, I use a heated nail or old soldering iron to form the opening. Drills tend to crack nylon, but the nylon material melts nicely with a soldering iron tip and won't weaken the clamp.

@Titanium, now that you mentioned it, your correct, I did mount the electronics side towards the bottom; now that I remember. I haven't been home in a week to remember. So your right, I do need to rotate the LNB correctly for drainage, etc. It's no big deal, I have to take it off the clamp anyway to work on it easier, I will have the spare TV and receiver out with me to listen to signals. When I'm working on it, I will rotate the LNB the right way when I put it back together. Of course I will probably replace it with another one soon.

There is no right or wrong way to rotate the LNBF. The best way is the one that makes the most sense for your specific install and sets the horizontal and vertical probes at the optimized skew. A LNBF can be installed either at 0° or 180°. One way might encourage water to enter fittings or stand in contact with the probe pass-though seals to the electronics.

The instructions that you received with your 1.2M dish were for probably for installing the KU clamp assembly that is provided with the dish. Installing with the LNB side support arms in the lower holes when using the included KU clamp would place the feedhorn below the sweetspot. Likely, the instructions showing the optional 65mm clamp LNB support arm installed in the lower position would be provided with that optional accessory.

You had previously posted in response to my question that the center of the C-band feedhorn was exactly in the same position as the center of the KU-band feedhorn center. If this is correct, no need to change the position of the arms or the C-band feedhorn will be placed outside the sweetspot where the reflected signals converge.

@Titanium, like you did say correctly, the C-Band LNB is in the exact same spot as the Ku - Band LNB was. All I had to do was move in the C-Band LNB toward the dish a little bit for optimum focus and improved signal. Like you said, no need to really change anything with the LNB, just rotate it to keep the water out or drained better. Would be nice to get free LNB'S from you, with all this sponsorship of your product. :-D lol.

Reactions: Titanium
@Titanium, Would be nice to get free LNB'S from you, with all this sponsorship of your product. :-D lol. Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You could be just a little more subtle about statements like that. Brian is the KING of giving stuff away for free, or with contests, or evaluation, or sometimes just for the heck of it.

I and others certainly appreciate it, but we leave it to his timing and largesse. Yeah, even I know some obscure words, lol.

I have to also point out that the Titanium C1 is a whole lot cheaper than what a standard LNB and Feed horn cost, I could buy 3 for the price of one of my old Norsat LNBs.

Reactions: ynnedibanez
@primestar, I was only teasing, I never actually meant anything by what I said. I would trust Titanium would know I am going to buy more from his site soon, he doesn't owe me anything. :)

Last edited:
@primestar, wayn23, I sure do love Titanium's products though, I am sold on them for sure, the proof is in the screenshots I took! I will most definitely tell people on this forum that Titanium's products are the best way to go for C-Band. You just can't beat PLL technology when it comes to drawing in the signal, or weaker signals, especially when using a smaller dish. You need everything you can get in cases like that. If Titanium didn't include PLL technology in his C-Band LNB, you might as well not even bother with trying to tinker with a mini-BUD setup; as you would surely be in for a dissapointment and a very bad frustrating time.

Again...nice quality work mate! Please update your results when your all done if you have the tome.

Cheers, K

@Titanium, the good news appears to be that I can still get all the C-Band channels on 99W. The Signal Quality on most channels remains between 60-73% so i won't have to replace the LNB. I just need to make sure it's cleaned out, rotated, drained and protected. :)

@primestar, wayn23, I sure do love Titanium's products though, I am sold on them for sure, the proof is in the screenshots I took! I will most definitely tell people on this forum that Titanium's products are the best way to go for C-Band. You just can't beat PLL technology when it comes to drawing in the signal, or weaker signals, especially when using a smaller dish. You need everything you can get in cases like that. If Titanium didn't include PLL technology in his C-Band LNB, you might as well not even bother with trying to tinker with a mini-BUD setup; as you would surely be in for a dissapointment and a very bad frustrating time.

I will have to agree with that! I didn't have access to pll c-band lnb a few years ago when I tried my mini-bud, and I'd have to say I'm amazed that you have gotten such good results with yours. I'm quite a bit north of you though, and being in the center of the beam can make a big difference.

Here is a new pic of the LNB cover I attached today, after I rotated the LNB electronics right side up and drilled a small drain hole in the back. This is the cover Danristheman is using for his setup, I did not notice any signal loss at all, and applied some polish to keep the rain beaded up on it. Be sure the cover indicates Indy 500 and Vegetable Oil on it, otherwise it won't work. :-D You can zoom up to look at the Ouces, so you know what size tub lid to buy at Walmart. :)

Attachments

• 1408245213762.jpg
    1408245213762.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 117
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)