New Mini-BUD Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fizbi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Wild and Windy Casper, WY
Brought home 2 six footers, model WS1870P.

Moving forward with my mini-BUD install. I have 14 acres to plant 2 c-band dishes. I chose a spot just behind my house so that the dish doesn't get too badly beaten up by the prevailing winds, and not directly visible from neighbors windows.

These dishes seem fragile if not handled carefully, so I set one up in the garage first. One dish is missing a bit of hardware, but I have enough parts between the two of them to get one setup properly.

Neither one has an LNB or actuator, so I will need to go shopping. I also need to plant a pole in the ground and I'm sure I can get the right size from a local fence supplier.

I'll have to do some searching to find out how long a pole and how deep into the ground. Question is, can I get this done before the first snow arrives? :)

Reactions: spongella
Yes, flimsy dishes, but if you baby them you can get good results.
I would spay it with an anti-rust coating of some kind, cause it will turn to rust and fall apart in a year if not.
The pole it needs is 2 5/8's an odd size. The standard corner fence post for chain link is 2 3/8's. So keep this in mind.
Easy to set-up with one person though, so if you find a pole you should have it up in no time.
I recommend you get a Titanium C1-PLL for this project if you want the best performance you can get out of it.

Brought home 2 six footers, model WS1870P.

Moving forward with my mini-BUD install. I have 14 acres to plant 2 c-band dishes. I chose a spot just behind my house so that the dish doesn't get too badly beaten up by the prevailing winds, and not directly visible from neighbors windows.

These dishes seem fragile if not handled carefully, so I set one up in the garage first. One dish is missing a bit of hardware, but I have enough parts between the two of them to get one setup properly.

Neither one has an LNB or actuator, so I will need to go shopping. I also need to plant a pole in the ground and I'm sure I can get the right size from a local fence supplier.

I'll have to do some searching to find out how long a pole and how deep into the ground. Question is, can I get this done before the first snow arrives? :)
Congrats on finding two mini-buds! Not sure when your first snow arrives but you should be able to get it done. Here is a frost depth map: http://sqfoot.com/pdf/US_Map_Frost_DepthAVG.pdf

Bottom of hole for pole below your frost depth else it's gonna move.
Couple of holes with rebar thru pole into cement to prevent spinning. (Or welded 'wings')
Bottom of pole set into gravel to allow moisture to drain. Fill the rest (of the hole) with concrete.
Sandy soil = Large diameter hole. Firm soil = smaller hole.
Alternative http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/fta-in-a-small-space.277426/#post-2779881 (The floating slab)
Forgot to add: Nice 'score'.

Yes, flimsy dishes, but if you baby them you can get good results.
I would spay it with an anti-rust coating of some kind, cause it will turn to rust and fall apart in a year if not.
The pole it needs is 2 5/8's an odd size. The standard corner fence post for chain link is 2 3/8's. So keep this in mind.
Easy to set-up with one person though, so if you find a pole you should have it up in no time.
I recommend you get a Titanium C1-PLL for this project if you want the best performance you can get out of it.

Great advice, thanks!

Double check the measurement on that, to be sure, but mine was 2-5/8".

2-5/8" sounds good to me. I measured it this morning and it was greater than 2-1/2" but less than 2-3/4". So I picked 2-5/8" to be best fit.

I got plenty of rebar laying around so I'll be adding some anti-twist hardware to the mix.

Reactions: KE4EST
Wasn't there a fix for the fence post difference? Like a pvc coupling slightly bored out to make up the difference? This was the case with the bargain dish from WSI.

Yes I'm glad you brought that up. It has been awhile but I think a 2 1/2" PVC coupling's outer diameter is close to 2 5/8".
The WSI special is the one the OP has.

The LNB from Titanium rolled in over the weekend. Got my two sons working on digging a hole.

Ground is so hard we have to water down the dirt to loosen it up. If it was any harder, we'd be breaking concrete. I don't think we will need concrete once I plant the pole. After adding the rebar, and once the dirt is packed back in, this pole is not going anywhere.

I have assembled the dish in the garage. It's resting on a short pole. I have included a picture of what looks like a fiberglass wafer of some sort that came with the LNB.
wafer.jpg

Not sure what it is. No instructions in the box.
Any ideas?

Here's my dish.
assembly.jpg

Reactions: spongella
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)