New motor setup!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
Hey all,

After spending a good week or so getting my NPRM perfectly plumb, I put an HH-90 motor onto my 90cm dish (GeosatPro). All in all, the process was much easier than I expected. I made sure to follow both the guide in the sticky and the manual that came with the motor. I figured since people here like pictures, I could also play with the macro filter for my camera.

A few things I noticed while installing:

The motor tube was awkward to get into place, mostly because it has (1) a little lip on the bottom, and (2) a tab on the top.

_3097505.JPG _3097506.JPG

I removed the two bolts on the back of the dish clamp and lined up that tab with the back. It was still a really tight squeeze, so I used a flathead screwdriver to pry a little more wiggle room out of it. It's a tight squeeze, but the two pieces will fit together. I put in the through-bolt then the bolts on the back of the clamp, trying to keep it as straight as possible. Then I put the shaft onto the motor, followed by attaching the reflector and arm for the LNB.

_3097508.JPG

I thought I'd screw up the motor and dish elevation settings, but it was simple. Latitude is latitude. The manual states that the dish elevation setting is the elevation of true south-(45-latitude). 44.7-(45-39.1)=38.8

Like KE4EST mentions in his guide, don't over-tighten the bolts. I did have to adjust slightly east/west until I had a good signal on a near-south bird, then sent the motor to each bird to scan. Some very slight adjustments and BAM, 83W-125W come in.

I also learned not to under-tighten the bolts. We had some strong winds over the weekend, with gusts hitting around 60mph. This was strong enough to rotate the dish slightly on the pole, juuuuust enough to take out some of the weaker transponders.

The hardest part of all this, of course, was making sure the pole was plumb. The dish is on a tall-ish NPRM from Craigslist. Once it was perfectly plumb and everything installed, I realized the railing was a major issue. The post on the NPRM is tall, but not quite tall enough to deal with the railing. I grabbed a few cinderblocks and brought the dish high enough to move freely.

_3097507.JPG _3087504.JPG

Now that the motor's set up, the next project is blind scanning every bird I can see and making a couple channel lists.

I have found on a couple of my motor installs that slightly under-tightening the clamp bolts might have saved a motor or two. My 1.2m dish cracked the HH120 casing during a high wind event, where if the dish had slid a bit on the mast the motor might have survived. Wonder if there are actual torque recommendations for these clamps... as for when using a real torque wrench? :)

I also learned not to under-tighten the bolts

Yes, but no indication of grade on many of these "U" bolts... and the stamped metal clamps & brackets are easy to crush from over tightening. I would expect the required torque would be less, maybe half that or less for the same 1/4" non-graded "U" bolt through a clamp assembly... Then some are metric, and some use 5/16" bolts and better clamps (1/2" wrench size nut).
Point is to be careful when tightening these assemblies, not to over tighten, or damage to the mounting brackets can result, making it difficult to aim the dish/motor properly.

6 ft-lbs for a grade five bolt

Things seem to be stable for now. No major winds, and no problems scanning 83W-125W. I was even able to scan in a couple of TPs (no services) on 72W. It looks like I'm tracking the arc well, at least until the next big winds come.

Does anyone have any channel recommendations? So far we're enjoying all the PBS's, NHK, CGTN/CCTV, and an Asian channel that's usually listed as $crambled but has been ITC on and off for a while (mostly ITC). Are there any hidden gems out there?

Also, I'm not sure if I just tend to have bad timing or if I'm ever-so-slightly off, but I have not been able to scan in the four-channel NBC mux on 103w. I did have it on the fixed dish and old receiver, but I know it's not always up and running. Sathint.com shows it as 11852 H 6890, but my X2 had it scanned in as 11855 H 4600.

Something I've noticed regarding the Linkbox 9000i: it seems blind scans are slow when there are few services on a bird, but fast when there are a lot. 97W scans quickly with its 200ish channels, but something like 91W takes forever to scan (lots of TPs, only ABC plus some random feeds). Either way, I've got a whole bunch of tv and radio services now.

A quick update:

As mentioned in another thread, I was having problems with a couple TPs on 103W. I found one bolt was a little loose, so the dish had a little wobble to it. After tightening it NBC mountain/west and COZI came in, but
one transponder was still missing, the four-channel NBC mux that moved from 72W to 103w (listed on Sathint). After getting a Maverick MK1-PLL from Michael Electronics (including a surprise on the box!) I had just enough of a borderline signal to make tiny, tiny adjustments to the dish's elevation and lock it in. Some strong winds can temporarily take out the signal, but that doesn't happen too often out here.

At last check I'm at just under 300 tv services and about 180 audio services. LOS is from 72W westward. Not bad for $0/month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)