New mystery receiver discussed on Satellite Nation tonight

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've watched video on my phone with it, albeit choppily, but I don't yet own the new model which transcodes to MPEG-4 before streaming to devices. I've ordered the HDHR4 standard unit to try (hope it's here tomorrow) but will wait on the HDTC-2US a bit.

- Trip

New Receiver in this case Android based with a better capability is always good news in my books. I have also learned about this XBMC app just from reading this post today. Great App, I must say! :)

Last edited:
Has anyone here messed with the TBS Matrix unit?
I've googled a bit, and have not found any DVB-S screen pics show how to actually setup.

Ive got one, I havent played with the factory image at all. I didnt want to use it as a frontend STB. Ive been playing around trying to get accelerated X running on it. Right now trying to get a newer kernel on it so I can port my v4l changes over to it.

The mpeg decoding is done through some precompiled binary blobs. GStreamer and XBMC supports them, mplayer and vlc dont. decodes 1080p 50Mbit mpeg2 and mpeg4 streams with between 3-8% cpu usage. It defn has potential. no 4:2:2 yet, might be a software issue, might be hardware, probably hardware.

UDL

Titanium Brian is one of the few that puts it all out there....Think about it.If it were not for Titanium Brian and T134 Joe who is doing anything for this FTA hobby in NA?...cmon anik lighten up!..

I couldnt agree with you more HN. We need to support Brian and buy his products so he can make a decent profit. He is the only one that I know who stuck his neck out and brought us a dish mover/polarity controller.

Seems like it could be an interesting box. With all of this IPTV stuff and other online things, I think it will be hard to find receivers in the future without an Linux/Android based OS. You would think with modern (software defined) tuner architectures, anything from SSB to 256 APSK would be supported. According to DVB.org, DVB-S2 already includes support for 16- and 32-APSK.

Your not going to see SDR satellite reception anytime soon. My i7 works pretty hard on an 2 Megbit bandwidth. running 70 megabit IQ feed even at 8bit is going to be a MASSIVE amount of data being processed. FFT is very cpu intensive too.

Trust me, maybe in 10 years.

UDL

Interesting that it looks like a Skybox F4 with a different power button.

Also I don't get everyone being excited about having Android in a set top box. The last thing I want is Google logging my viewing habits. Ok that might be a stretch but Google will have its teeth in this box as soon as you setup Google Play and download an app.

I think the only reason people want android is so that they can have Hulu and Netflix on the same box. Else I see no reason to use android, vanilla Linux is much better suited

UDL

In my humble opinion, when basing a STB on Android the benefits will far outweigh the limitations for most users. From a developer standpoint, Android is a great base if you want to provide your customer with access to any media source other than satellite reception or acting as a local media server. To keep the media side of things enabled and up to date, the developer only needs to make sure the STB is Google Play Store compliant then concentrate all of your efforts on implementing the satellite features of the STB. The end user then can select the android apps that serve their likes, wants and needs. Much easier for the developer than continually chasing YouTube code changes and trying to keep up teh STb up to date with codecs and drivers. The media boxes that I play with that are not Android based seem to be a cat and mouse game of what application works and how long. When the app quits then it becomes how to get an update. My Android STB media boxes either update themselves automatically or let me know when a new version is available for update. When I move to a new STB, my apps can be duplicated or transfer over.

Yes, I know that this is possible with Linux, but in my experience, Linux systems have quite a learning curve and turns an appliance into a unique device that always seems to need tweaking and massaging... Great for some of us Geeks, but not for most customers.

I think it would just be cool to connect your Phone to a USB Sat receiver and get a signal. :p
I've actually done some research about something like that. I found SAT>IP so you can connect on wi-fi as well as TBS receiver that does something similar.

I've actually done some research about something like that. I found SAT>IP so you can connect on wi-fi as well as TBS receiver that does something similar.
I can do this with a PCI card and DVBViewer already.

In short, how long do we have to wait for this new receiver? I was thinking in buying one of the Amiko receivers, either the mini HD SE ( dont know whenm it will be released yet) or the new Amiko Allien 1. (I heard it has an excellent blind scan) but dont mind waiting a little bit longer for this challenging box

In short, how long do we have to wait for this new receiver? I was thinking in buying one of the Amiko receivers, either the mini HD SE ( dont know whenm it will be released yet) or the new Amiko Allien 1. (I heard it has an excellent blind scan) but dont mind waiting a little bit longer for this challenging box

In short, unless you draw a good straw you'll have to wait exactly 1 day after I decide these are ready for North America. I am fine with the fact that we'll find some bugs and problems on a completely new platform but I want the basics solid before we release for public purchase.

You heard wrong on the "excellent blind scan" for Alien1. It too has a SOFTWARE blindscan. That it happens to kick the crap out of any AZbox hardware blindscan for accuracy and time doesn't matter. It is rather slow compared to our ALi3612 and 3511 based STB's and even Alien2. When it comes down to it the benchmark hasn't been AZ for anything in a long time. Alien1 will get the job done and done right, but not nearly as fast as other current production STB's on the market.

If you are looking for proven and relatively easy to use STB, get yourself an Alien1. If you really want to test the edge of the market, wait for the new STB.

Have they even mentioned a working Blind Scan?

"They" have, as in "I" have on Satellite Nation radio show.

I haven't even told my guys at the Fridge this yet but we have 3 engineers dedicated to this STB and our list working in HU right now with our guys. I mentioned to the owner of the EU company the other day that I would be back to work on solving one of the issues. He strictly told me NO, that the engineers were there to solve ALL issues. They've got my full list for front and back end. I'll race the engineers to solve them LOL.

Blindscan is #2 on the list and if my 450MHz STi outruns and outperforms many hardware blindscans I think these guys will go good.

Oh Vond, Mini HD SE is probably the one with the killer blindscan you heard about, it beats the crap out of our 3612 even. It has been in Europe for months, I have stock here but won't release until the ALi engineer makes me happy with the WebTV. Please keep in mind you mentioned 2 totally different class of STB and posted in a thread for one that is 5 horses over anything. These boxes all have different features and capabilities and are like comparing apples to oranges.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)