New mystery receiver discussed on Satellite Nation tonight

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
I just finished listening to the recording of Satellite Nation from earlier tonight and was quite interested in a new receiver that was mentioned on the program that sounds like it just might be better than most of the receivers out there. Here are some notes I made about this receiver (I hope these are accurate because in a few places it was hard for me to understand what was being said):

• It is an Android based DVB-S2 STB Made in Europe. It will be packaged in a metal case a little bigger than an S10 or an Alien 1. It contains a Cortex A9 based(?) 2500 processor with an 800 megahertz GPU(??). Previous attempts at Android-based STB's have not worked very well but this one does.
  • 4:2:2 SD is working flawlessly right now (in a rooted system) and plays a live stream to the TV. CBS 4:2:2 HD did not work so far but that is because for testing purposes they are bypassing the GPU. It played in slow motion when just running software decoding, but before it is released in North America they will have it going through the GPU and then it should work.
  • It will run thousands of apps, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Filmon, Navi-X, Skype, etc.
  • It is already a finished product, the hardware is totally ready now and they are just working out software bugs and tweaking and changing things.
  • They are also working on blind scan, it is in software but this machine has so much CPU power that it should be faster than the hardware blind scan on any current generation receiver.
  • This is not meant to be exclusively a satellite receiver; it will be a full box that does everything. Even if it is not used for FTA satellite it will still do Android functions, DLNA, home networking, thousands of streaming channels and video on demand, going to a TV network site or other online video site and watching programs, etc. It can do everything the Roku does and much more. If all you need is a plain old satellite receiver that connects to your TV and has no network capabilities then this might not be the right choice for you.
  • As sold in North America it will only have a single tuner. However, it might be possible to use a USB-connected ATSC or DVB-T tuner, etc. but right now the software would probably not support it, however it could since it's all Android-based and therefore not hard to do.

One thing I was not 100% certain about was who was talking about all this - I THINK it was Joe from FridgeFTA but don't hold me to that. If I am correct on that point then in most cases when I said "they" I really meant "Joe" because it sounds like he will be doing most of the North American software work.

It sounds as if he will reveal more in the coming week(s) but my ears definitely perked up when I heard this!

You heard right!

More info:

[X] Android O/S
[X] Full XMBC with fully integrated satellite, not a buggy standalone DVB-T app
[X] 2500 MHz processor, 800 MHz GPU
[X] 4:2:2 capabilities
[X] Netflix, Hulu Plus, Navi-X, Skype, Crackle, FilmOn etc
[X] VPN ready
[X] Google Play with tens of thousands of apps available
[X] 100x the capabilities of a ROKU
[X] DNLA and full networking capabilities
[?] Rooted/unrooted versions. (mine is rooted, public availability TBD)
[X] Thousands of live IPTV channels
[X] Affordable
[X] North American support & development

Classified grainy pictures smuggled from FridgeFTA's Area51:

unit.jpg
xbmcsat.jpg
play.jpg
root.jpg

Verrryy interesting! But I will never have decent internet to use all that IPTV stuff so I never think about that anyway.

I shall need some convincing that it is a Roku replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Roku is a service not a multi-media device. Wouldn't suggest that a media box is a Roku replacement.

The key to the potential of this STB is the use of XBMC for the DVBS/S2 processing. I have had Android DVBS/S2 samples over the past 1 1/2 years that did great DVBS/S2 (yes, even 4:2:2), but failed to make the cut due to the limitations of the DVB Player implementation.

Joe is working with a great development team. No doubt that this STB will be a game-changer.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

There you go Anik, time for YOU to be our beta-tester! I just hope it doesn't take an entire year to get firmware tweaked to the point of it working 1/2 its promise at launch.

The part I'm skeptical about is that a software blind scan can be both fast and thorough. I just don't see it, regardless of how fast the CPU is.

Roku is a service not a multi-media device. Wouldn't suggest that a media box is a Roku replacement.

Brian, I am not sure what you mean. I have a Roku box that I use to watch IPTV and to stream downloaded programs from my server using Plex, I don't pay Roku for any services except the purchase of the box last year. (one time cost)

On another note, I received my ASC1 & C1-PLL LNBF at the P.O. Wednesday. Thanks!

Norman

Blah...

I missed the show last night. My son was sick and asked me to lay with him in bed. Needless to say I work up in his bed at about 3am then shuffled off to mine.

This receiver sounds interesting and sounds like the kind of box I have been dreaming about. But since I have not heard the show yet I have a few questions...

1) WHEN?
2) Does it do motor and switch control?
3) Does it do Blind Scan?
4) WHEN?

Hopefully I will get to listen to the show we are getting hit by the storm up here and we already lost power once.

I think that is all for now. :)

blindscan is a feature of the demod hardware, nothing todo with cpu speed. There really isnt alot for the CPU todo in blindscan. If the demod has good fast blindscan capabilities then the reciever will have good fast blindscan abilities regardless of how fast the cpu is.

On that note... what tuner/demod are in the box ?

UDL

Verrryy interesting! But I will never have decent internet to use all that IPTV stuff so I never think about that anyway.

Better yet, how about ripping the FTA satellite-delivered (non-Internet) IPTV signals on C and Ku-bands? ;)

Can't be a box of the future if you can't internally process and display FTA IPTV signals, IMHO. If I can do it in multiple steps on a PC, certainly it can be done with a receiver like this saving me the steps of having to involve the PC and some processing time.

Comparing an Android STB to a Roku is like comparing a PC to a cable convertor box.

You may not view Roku as a service provider because they do not charge the subscriber a monthly fee, but the Roku customer is paying for the service by providing Roku with personal information, viewing data and enabling them to charge the content providers for providing access to the viewer.

Roku is a "service provider", which allows its customers to access content that is developed with their protocol and is only available through their proprietary set top box. In the future the content will also be available through proprietary and licensed hardware included in TVs and other devices. It is not an open source media device.

Android devices are blank slates until the developer or end user selects an app or codec or hardware that enables a service or function.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)