New, no-name dish needed improvement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
A few days ago I bought in satellite shop inexpensive no-name dish, sized 80 cm ; with LNBF it cost 45 bucks. It works OK now, but it needed some tinkering. Annotated pictures follow:
IMG_1516.JPGIMG_1517.JPGIMG_1518.JPGIMG_1519.JPGIMG_1520.JPGIMG_1521.JPGIMG_1522.JPGIMG_1523.JPGIMG_1524.JPGIMG_1525.JPGIMG_1526.JPGIMG_1527.JPGIMG_1528.JPGIMG_1529.JPG

It looks a lot better than some of the flimsy same sized dishes from China that are sold in some discount sat suppliers in this area!

Looks like a very basic OEM 80cm model likely manufactured by Azure Shine in Taiwan.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Actually, this dish was manufactured Jonsa and not Azure Shrine. They are also located in Taiwan. It's a common dish here in Canada.

You are right on this being a Jonsa dish. The dish edge design threw me as is a Azure design, but the cheap rear bracket dish mounting is definitely Jonsa. :D problem with most Jonsa dishes is the thin gauge reflector (I.E. Fortec Star). .6 and .7 gauge reflector thickness isn't sturdy enough in my opinion.

I remember being told about the copyright infringement lawsuit against Jonsa for using the edge design a few years ago. After that, all Azure reflectors are now stamped and labeled to enforce copyright.

will Titanium Satellite be selling any FTA dishes

Was planning on bringing in some quality 10' prime focus mesh, but will opt out after last month's "KTI Mesh Dish Sale Fail". No plans to bring in Titanium Satellite branded 90cm, but recently discovered a potential opportunity to carry a quality, commercial, composite, <1m, offset type with matched scalar/feedhorn/LNB. Will make a decision within the next month as we negotiate.

Do you think that your composite, <1m, offset will perform similarly to a stamped 1.2 meter? I'm looking to increase my signal on 125W. I'm currently using an old 90cm 3ABN dish for the job but it wont lock a few of the feed transponders even after a good fine tune.

Hard too say... What is the surface accuracy on the stamped 1.2M? Is the scalar matched? If the 1.2M has surface accuracy, high efficiency and illumination, the increased surface area would increase performance. A well formed 1M with matched scalar will out perform a poor design 1.2M.

I know that I didn't really answer your question. So many variables. Kinda like answering a question if a 440 will make a Ford Pinto with flat tires go faster...... :D

A 1.2M is undersized for the link budget for some of the transponders on 125W. You may want a 1.8M to address the known signal issues hobbyists are experiewith smaller reflectors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)