New package - existing customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PHXHoward

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
PHX
So confused with the new packages.

I have Directv Choice Xtra package that I got in 2011. I only took the Xtra piece because it was the lowest package available at the time that included free HD. It ended up being cheaper then Choice package which required $10 HD add on.

The new Entertainment package interests me except for not having the Science channel. Of course, how much is Science channel worth to me? If I can get free hd with the Entertainment package too then it would save $10 per month. Maybe Science Channel alone isn't worth the extra $120 per year.

Can existing customers switch to Entertainment and keep the free HD option? Also, I have a bunch of first and second year discounts on my account. Would modifying my package remove those? Saving some money and remove channels I don't watch would be great but if it ends up costing me more in money and time trying to fix my account then no thanks.

the monthly discounts you shouldnt lose as they are usually the same across the board (regardless of plan)

The HD free I dont know and depends on what package was required when you signed up. The best thing to do is call and ask. If you dont like the answer (or think maybe they are wrong) call back and ask again

You need to call and ask, becaue some new customer promos with the free HD for life require at least Choice Xtra or higher.

That said, you may be able to get Entertainment and ask for the Free HD with AutoPay for existing customers, good for 24 months.

I was just going to add when I got the 24 months free HD all I needed was auto pay which I have.

Some customers required Choice Xtra or greater

There hasn't been many posts concerning what it takes now to keep HD free, and the few that have posted here and other places are a mixed bag. Some yes you keep it, some no with no real rhyme or reason given.

Oddly, all the packages offered for new customers include HD free. I suppose that's to make up for the rate increases and the channel moves in an upward motion. Like Cloo and Golf moving to the new Ultimate. In fact, for those that want the channels that moved up, you really get a bigger rate increase than it first appeared to be. One rate increase to all, additional cost to keep the channels you want.

Fortunately for me, if I keep Choce Xtra Classic I get to keep all the channels that matter to me with only the base increases.

I think that question is many want to know but don't want to hear what the answer may be :)

Decided to take a chance and call to see what they could do for me. The CSR checked and found out that the lowest package that includes free HD for existing customers is Choice. Entertainment package did not qualify for free HD.

I was on Choice Xtra because when I subscribed, that was the lowest tier that included free HD. I downgraded to Choice today because of what the CSR told me. I hope there are no surprises on my next bill like a service change charge or the loss of my 1st/2nd year rebates.

It all depends on what the rules were when you signed up

When I upgraded to HD (had been a customer at the time for 10 months) the only requirement was auto pay. I called them to verify and I am allowed to drop down to Entertainment as the only rule on my account for free HD (well the 24 month credit) is auto pay. No programming minimum

Iceberg said:
It all depends on what the rules were when you signed up

When I upgraded to HD (had been a customer at the time for 10 months) the only requirement was auto pay. I called them to verify and I am allowed to drop down to Entertainment as the only rule on my account for free HD (well the 24 month credit) is auto pay. No programming minimum

Good to know they are allowing a move down and keeping free HD

Well I'm on Choice now. Best I can do without losing Free HD thereby invalidating the saving from Entertainment package. Still paying for a bunch of channels I don't want but oh well.

It is odd, Nat Geo is part of Choice package and I still get it but the row is grayed out in my guide.

yup. But it all depends on what minimum requirements it is. For anyone who got the 24 months credit after they had signed up (basically you were a sub before they started doing the free HD) the only requirement is auto pay (as it was to get the 24 month free HD in the 1st place)
For others it may be programming wise and as above Choice may be minimum required

It is odd, Nat Geo is part of Choice package and I still get it but the row is grayed out in my guide.

try a red button reboot. I've seen that happen before where it is greyed out yet you can view the channel. Last Spring we had issues with RSN's doing that. It would be greyed out for no reason. a RBR fixed it

Pressing red button to restart did not fix Nat Geo showing up gray in the guide. Reauthorizing the receiver did not fix it either. Oh well, just going to give it time to fix itself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)