New Pioneer VSX-10171XV-K

IceToad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Bullhead City, AZ
I just purchased a new Pioneer VSX-10171XKK receiver, two floor-standing JBL Arena Series fronts, four Arena Series Monitors and a JBL Sub12 500w sub from JR. I am upgrading my system from an integrated Logitech Z-680 speaker system that will now move into my bedroom or office, so hopefully I will see quite a nice improvement in sound quality. I think I may from the speakers alone.

At first I was almost dead-set on an Onkyo TX-SR605, but then I found the Pioneer receiver. It seemed to have everything that the Onkyo had and to be a little-bit more user friendly (OSD for XM/Sirius and iPod, etc). JR hasn't sent me a shipping notification yet, and I'm excited and impatient :D.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the combination of components I used? I know that the HDMI-in on the Pioneer is just a switch and not really a decoder or processor, and I am okay with that.

Yhanks!

I for one am not to hip on this particular model for what I think most users would want/need. I would spend a few more dollars or a bit more research time and find a better A/V receiver that can provide ALL the needs of a A/V unit.

Actual mod# VSX-1017TXVK

Biggest weaknesses to me:
Remote is not backlit.

HDMI on this one is Pass-through video only (no sound through HDMI). correct?

Also does not offer any upconvert via the HDMI.

Does this unit offer video conversion? (I think it does; this is important.)

Not all the buttons in the front can be programmed.

Its deep; so measure your space.

I for one am not to hip on this particular model for what I think most users would want/need. Actual mod# VSX-1017TXVK

Remote is not backlit.

Does this unit offer video conversion?

Thanks! Yeah I didn't read the model # quite right :) Thanks for the correction.
Yes this is HDMI pass-through, but I don't currently have any HD sources so that doesn't bother me so much right now.
The receiver will convert composite and S-Video sources to component (but not component to HDMI and visa-versa).
The remote being backlit is okay since I will be using my Harmony 890 with it anyways.

Thanks again :D

I for one am not to hip on this particular model for what I think most users would want/need. I would spend a few more dollars or a bit more research time and find a better A/V receiver that can provide ALL the needs of a A/V unit.

Actual mod# VSX-1017TXVK

Remote is not backlit.

Also does not offer any upconvert via the HDMI.

Does this unit offer video conversion? (I think it does; this is important.)

Well, after some careful thought, I contacted JR and exchanged my Pioneer for an Onkyo SR605 and paid the difference. Not really too much, after all. I think that I'll be a lot happier with this receiver in the short/long term; and it will go better with my JBL speakers.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been nothing but pleased with my Pioneer 1017. It works just fine as a processing unit and for $350 ya can't go wrong! :D

Of course, that McCormack 2-channel amp, Audiosource amps, Paradigm towers and Triad center channel sure does help. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)