New Pioneer VSX-10171XV-K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IceToad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Bullhead City, AZ
I just purchased a new Pioneer VSX-10171XKK receiver, two floor-standing JBL Arena Series fronts, four Arena Series Monitors and a JBL Sub12 500w sub from JR. I am upgrading my system from an integrated Logitech Z-680 speaker system that will now move into my bedroom or office, so hopefully I will see quite a nice improvement in sound quality. I think I may from the speakers alone.

At first I was almost dead-set on an Onkyo TX-SR605, but then I found the Pioneer receiver. It seemed to have everything that the Onkyo had and to be a little-bit more user friendly (OSD for XM/Sirius and iPod, etc). JR hasn't sent me a shipping notification yet, and I'm excited and impatient :D.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the combination of components I used? I know that the HDMI-in on the Pioneer is just a switch and not really a decoder or processor, and I am okay with that.

Yhanks!

I for one am not to hip on this particular model for what I think most users would want/need. I would spend a few more dollars or a bit more research time and find a better A/V receiver that can provide ALL the needs of a A/V unit.

Actual mod# VSX-1017TXVK

Biggest weaknesses to me:
Remote is not backlit.

HDMI on this one is Pass-through video only (no sound through HDMI). correct?

Also does not offer any upconvert via the HDMI.

Does this unit offer video conversion? (I think it does; this is important.)

Not all the buttons in the front can be programmed.

Its deep; so measure your space.

I for one am not to hip on this particular model for what I think most users would want/need. Actual mod# VSX-1017TXVK

Remote is not backlit.

Does this unit offer video conversion?

Thanks! Yeah I didn't read the model # quite right :) Thanks for the correction.
Yes this is HDMI pass-through, but I don't currently have any HD sources so that doesn't bother me so much right now.
The receiver will convert composite and S-Video sources to component (but not component to HDMI and visa-versa).
The remote being backlit is okay since I will be using my Harmony 890 with it anyways.

Thanks again :D

I for one am not to hip on this particular model for what I think most users would want/need. I would spend a few more dollars or a bit more research time and find a better A/V receiver that can provide ALL the needs of a A/V unit.

Actual mod# VSX-1017TXVK

Remote is not backlit.

Also does not offer any upconvert via the HDMI.

Does this unit offer video conversion? (I think it does; this is important.)

Well, after some careful thought, I contacted JR and exchanged my Pioneer for an Onkyo SR605 and paid the difference. Not really too much, after all. I think that I'll be a lot happier with this receiver in the short/long term; and it will go better with my JBL speakers.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been nothing but pleased with my Pioneer 1017. It works just fine as a processing unit and for $350 ya can't go wrong! :D

Of course, that McCormack 2-channel amp, Audiosource amps, Paradigm towers and Triad center channel sure does help. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)