New Point and Shoot Digital Camera.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

songkrai

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
New England
This post is not for advanced camera buffs.

I just take pictures when on holiday or trips. I only use a simple point and shoot camera. My last camera was great for this - compact and easy to place in pocket. This was a Minolta XT. Great pocket camera - but Minolta left the camera business.

So I stumble across the Sanyo VPC-S120 at $59.00 at Wallymart. Mixed reviews but mine seems perfect for a point and shoot digital camera.

Thing is - that it is only sold at Wallymart. That part I don't quite understand.

But for the price this is a good value for a cheap point and shoot digital camera. Price stated is only at .com Wallymart.

It is possible that it is a walmart only SKU. Sometimes manufacturers will make a special version for a discount chain like Walmart so other stores do not have to price match. It is not the same model, so they do not have to price match even though it is the same specifications.

Opinion- If I go out with intent to shoot video or stills, I will carry a good camera. Otherwise, I find the latest camera cell phones do an excellent job to grab that shot that happens along the way. I mean both video and still shots. No need for the cheap point and shoot cameras.
The frustrating part of the cheapie point and shoot digitals are the time delays. MY wife has a small low cost canon and she complains all the time about the delay between pressing the button and the camera taking the shot. I talked her into grabbing the shots now with her cell phone camera and it is much faster.
But the best part of the cell phone camera is that you usually have it with you.

Yes, I agree with the cell phone technology today. Some of the better ones do everything (almost) that a pc does, eliminate the PDA, and take darn good pictures to boot.

If one is in some sort of business then one of these cell phones is a must.

Alas, some of us just can't justify the cost or need for any kind of smart phone.

And some smart cell phones do work in foreign countries presently, many of us travelers that don't have that capability just take an inexpensive digital camera.

I chose this digital camera specifically because it takes AA batteries - so no need to take a charger when overseas.

I actually purchased two of these inexpensive digital cameras as I leave one in glove box - with extra new batteries.

But yes, a good cell phone eliminates the need for all of this. I guess everything is a trade off for cost value need and usage.

Oh you reminded me of another complaint my wife had with her Canon- The AA batteries don't last long at all. But we take them out and use them in other stuff to deplete the expected life of the Alkaline. Rechargeables for her Canon don't work either. Only brand new AA's seem to work and then for about 20 pictures with flash about 50 pictures w/o flash. I'm sure this is just a canon model specific, however. My bigger canon works great but it was a thousand $$$ camera. It's rechargeable of course and not in the category of what you are looking for.

Yes, I agree with the cell phone technology today.
And I don't.

I believe it would be really hard to find a camera today that would not be able to beat a smartphone.
The first Fuji I bought some 6-7 years ago (for its webcam abilities) beats any smartphone picture I've seen.

I haven't used the 12mp Nokia N8 or the iPhone 4.
But aside the camcording capabilities, I don't think they will beat them either...

Diogen.

Yes, rechargeable batteries are great if you always have the charger handy.

I use AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium - more expensive though.

To expand on the topic a bit, I recall reading that the pixel count is not the major quality concern, although it is the major marketing concern. There's 1 and 3 imaging chip variations. But there's also a matter of chip type - CMoS and ??? And also, some imaging chips are physically larger and produce better pictures.

Can anybody expand on this? And what improvements are there? Color, low light, contrast, .....?

No rocket science here, common sense explains most of it: 90%+ of a picture quality is directly related to light, namely how much and how molested.
The first is directly proportional to the sensor size, the second - to the lens quality (example: good lens price depreciation is practically zero).

When those variables are the same, then others get into play: algorithm, RAW abilities, post-processing, sensitivity, etc.

Smartphone camera sensors are tiny and lenses mostly non-existent. Hence, a 2 mpx camera of 5 years ago takes better pictures.
Even if only because 2 mpx required a bigger sensor 5 years ago than 12 mpx today...

Diogen.

For those who are dedicated photo enthusiats - an inexpensive point and shoot may not be the answer.

But for the average Joe or Jane - this is a good deal. Price now has dropped to $52.00 for this Wally Mart Sanyo digital camera. Some of the reviews have complaints - but what product does not have complaints. Some want a printed manual included. Some want rechargeable batteries with charger included. But at this price - come on.

The camera is manufactured in Vietnam. So Sanyo has opened a manufacturing plant in Vietnam. Quite interesting. Don't know if manufactured in Vietnam will affect buyers decision making.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts