new postcar, flyer from skyangel regarding DBS

I called SkyAngel customer service when I saw in the mailout that Angel 2 and KTV would still be available. The person I spoke to wasn't able to give me any firm information about this announcement. She didn't know if the channels would remain on the current satellite or move to a different one. I pointed out that Angel 1 was already free. She wasn't sure whether Angel 2 and KTV would be free to all or limited to those who have a specific Dish package. The customer service rep.'s reply was a classic: "you may want to wait until April and see what happens..."

This is typical of sky angel, no one has a clue..... I bet if you call back you get a different answer! did you call the phone # on the postcard? 1 877 728 IPTV (4788) call a different # and you may get another answer..................

They told me that this package was a special DISH FAMILY package, available to order ONLY though sky angel for $24.99. I tired to tell them that dish family is only $19.99 without locals. they were insistent that this was a special package.

I will order dish family from dish with less channels before I order from sky angel to get angel 2 and KTV so that they make a sign up fee. Seems they want to get one last dollar out of those who aren't signing up for IPTV.

I have a feeling that when the dust settles these channels will be added to dish family at no charge. they are just trying to get a referral fee right now

Last edited:
I really wish a unhappy lifer would walk physically into their corporate office and start asking prying questions

KTV & Angel 2 on Dish soon??

Saw this today in the uplink threads..take it for what its worth
264 - KTV [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar8 110W TP 19 ConUS beam (Not Available)
266 - ANGL2 [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar8 110W TP 19 ConUS beam (Not Available)

9394 - KTV [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar8 110W TP 19 ConUS beam (Not Available)
9395 - ANGL2 [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar8 110W TP 19 ConUS beam (Not Available)

now for the non technical who is wondering wht this means

Dish added KTV & Angel 2 to the 110 satellite (where the main Dish stuff is) on 2 channels adjacent to Daystar. Its not available yet but it sounds like Dish is adding it to their packages....what package? we dont know

edit: also saw they are going to be on 9394 & 9395. That area (9300) is where the DishFamily versions of a channel usually go (RFDTV and BYU TV are around that area too)

Last edited:
Kind of speculative, I know. But could this be an early indication that the current 61.5 will be going out of service relatively soon?

no. Dish is launching a satellite at 61.5 to coexist with E3.

I can assume they may be in DishFamily and wont need an extra dish and thats why they are also on 110 (along with 61.5 right now)

added some info above. ALso see they're on 9394 & 9395 which is right next to a couple other channels (RFDTV & BYUTV) that are in DishFamily

But could this be an early indication that the current 61.5 will be going out of service relatively soon?
If you mean Sky Angel channels going out of service at 61.5, I think the answer is "Yes". Clearly Dish has an incentive to give former SA subscribers a package desirable enough to attract their dollar. This could mean an augmented Dish Family, or it could mean some yet-to-be-packaged package.

But I see little incentive for Dish to make that package available at 61.5. I'll bet those former SA customers who go with a Dish package will need a repoint sooner rather than later.

Actually that is what I was intending to say that they would be off of 61.5 as I knew the new bird was coming but don't remember enough about what it is slated to be used for.

But unless all the Family Pak channels wind up on 110 that little 18" antenna will probably need to be replaced to get all the channels.

Interesting note. I just looked at my account information and it no longer says "In Transition" as it did just a few days ago. It just says Sky Angel and Family Pak. I also noticed that my old formerly subscribed receivers are no longer showing under equipment. I'm pretty sure they were there just 2 days ago.

I am having trouble finding the 61.5 sat. at my new location. I am using this old dish 300 satellite dish I got back in '99. I had a dish 500 dish, but some of my kind neighbors stole it off the old house before I could secure it.

Question: would it be easier to find and receive signals from the 61.5 satellite on a dish 500 satellite dish & lnbl as opposed to the 300 dish and lnbf I am now trying to use?

Any help would be appreciated

~ Kountzer in Houston ~

Don't take it as fact but from what I've read it seems there are indications that whatever you'll be able to receive from the old SA lineup will be moving to 110. No word on which subs would get them but possibly Dish Family at least, from what I read.

Personally I would not even waste time repointing to 61.5 to get SA for it's final 2 weeks of service if you have no Dish programming on it.

I don't know that there is a benefit to using a Dish 500 for 61.5.

I am having trouble finding the 61.5 sat. at my new location.
If you still insist on finding 61.5, be appraised of the fact that you need to set the Point Dish screen up at least to transponder 8. I believe all the others below that are either dead or running 8PSK signals which your receiver very likely will not pick up. This bit me a year ago when setting up SA for my mother. I had to hire professional help, and they had my dish peaked in about 15 seconds. Very embarrassing since I wasted 2 days before giving up.

would it be easier to find and receive signals from the 61.5 satellite on a dish 500 satellite dish & lnbl as opposed to the 300 dish
That is a darn good question. The 500, being slightly larger, will be slightly more directional and hence harder to point. On the other hand, being slightly larger, the signal strength will be just a tad higher. So you might get on the fringe and see something more easily.

Well I thought about the size but then considered the curvature when I said it probably wouldn't help.

Now I did get mom a 20" single position dish for D* a few years back. I mounted it out back where a small portion of the dish was blocked by the house, but it still showed a near 100% signal on a good day.

Obviously my reason for the larger dish was to reduce rain fade but it was only doing slightly better than an 18" dish.

Last summer I relocated the antenna to the side of the house where it is totally unobstructed and I don't think it has gone out once from rain fade since.

So I'm thinking that backyard install was kinda like what happens with a 2 position dish. You don't get quite the same benefit as you do with a single position curve taking in as much of the signal as possible.

If you still insist on finding 61.5, be appraised of the fact that you need to set the Point Dish screen up at least to transponder 8.
25 & 32 work too since those are the SA transponders

I believe all the others below that are either dead or running 8PSK signals which your receiver very likely will not pick up. This bit me a year ago when setting up SA for my mother. I had to hire professional help, and they had my dish peaked in about 15 seconds. Very embarrassing since I wasted 2 days before giving up.
about 85% are 8PSK so the normal boxes (unless its HD) wont see it

That is a darn good question. The 500, being slightly larger, will be slightly more directional and hence harder to point. On the other hand, being slightly larger, the signal strength will be just a tad higher. So you might get on the fringe and see something more easily.
The Dish 500 works fine but there are some tricks
-set the skew to 90 so both LNB's are straight
-the azimuth (east west) will be off by 4 1/2 degrees as the dish500 LNB's are both off by 4 1/2 degrees off the arm

All a bigger dish does is prevent rain fade if you are in the US...once you get on the fringe the bigger dish will help reception. You can aim a 10 foot dish at 61.5 if you want...all it does is help rain fade :)

You can aim a 10 foot dish at 61.5 if you want...all it does is help rain fade

That might come in handy down here in FL some months. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts