New Rainfade Solution

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I remember the C Band days :) (that Chaparral reciver and 10 ft dish was nice).

What I don't get is that, since we know a larger dish size reduces rain fade, why didn't DirecTV go with that concept from the beginning or perhaps go that route a few years after they arrived on the satt scene? Cost? That's my 1st guess, but it would seem that they would have saved themselves $$'s in the long run with the competitor's counterpoint of "no rain fade with our svc", etc.

I had a Chaparral Monterey 50 for 16 years then upgraded to the 4DTV. I had my 12 foot bud since 1989 and will not part with it.

As far as (excuse the term I'm in LSD territory) pizza dishes go, they are ascetically pleasing. Direct knows bigger is better but ignores it because sales would fall off.

What I don't get is that, since we know a larger dish size reduces rain fade, why didn't DirecTV go with that concept from the beginning or perhaps go that route a few years after they arrived on the satt scene? Cost? That's my 1st guess, but it would seem that they would have saved themselves $$'s in the long run with the competitor's counterpoint of "no rain fade with our svc", etc.

The general public want SMALLER dishes, not larger and thats where the problem comes in.
They don't want to have to SEE the dish.

Back in the day I had a Chapperell 95, if that tells you how long ago it was that I was into it.
Could not afford to keep changing set ups, the 4DTV was starting when I decided to get out of it.

As I remember my C-band days, the picture quality was so good that it would give the HD-lite we get from D & E a run for the money.

Directv offers a larger dish for Alaska and Hawaii that is excellent for rain fade. We use them for commercial installs. .98 meter oval dish sees 101 110 119 99 and 103. Not cheap but works wonders.

Where can you buy it? do you have a link?

This is Direct's 1.2 meter for Alaska and Hawaii. From what I understand it's a Prodelin dish. With a pipe at the feed for Skewing the tri lnbf.

So this dish uses a SL3? I must get one. :devil:

uh oh...you got the D* bug now ;)

Ya I guess... Ice I mostly used my Bud 's 4DTV for pay programming, This goes way back, I had a VC2 since 87. I bought my first bud because I hated my cable company and wanted to watch cable channels. Now Direct has taken over for that since they are killing the 4DTV (thank you NPS :rant:). I've always been a tech nut. I always put my all in things I do to achieve the best. The mini bud being used on Direct is just an extension of this side of me. After watching NO rain fade on C band for 23 years I really can't accept it on ku. Used to aggravate me when RTN was going down all the time on G-10. We know the story there.

Direct is a new toy to play with and a new hurdle to achieve excellence in. I will enjoy getting all I can out of it and give my advice here for those interested in my crazy idea's. We actually need to start a trend for those interested to make the move to a mini bud for pizza. I know the tech nuts here would enjoy the benefits from it. Some people are limited to pizza size dishes only but there are ones that don't mind and can have supersized pizza :)

Mini buds on pizza... what a concept :D :up

As I remember my C-band days, the picture quality was so good that it would give the HD-lite we get from D & E a run for the money.

That is the truth. HD lite IMO is good SD quality in a 16x9 aspect ratio nothing more.

That is the truth. HD lite IMO is good SD quality in a 16x9 aspect ratio nothing more.

Its so sad that D & E has chosen to play with picture quality in order to add so many channels. I just wish adding a larger dish could & would improve picture quality.

I Recently added Skyangel to my setup, and have used an older ADS upconverter I had, the picture quality is very close to or equal to some of the HD lite of today. Even the picture quality without the upconverter is so much better than the SD of Dish Network.

Ya I guess... Ice I mostly used my Bud 's 4DTV for pay programming, This goes way back, I had a VC2 since 87. I bought my first bud because I hated my cable company and wanted to watch cable channels. Now Direct has taken over for that since they are killing the 4DTV (thank you NPS :rant:). I've always been a tech nut. I always put my all in things I do to achieve the best. The mini bud being used on Direct is just an extension of this side of me. After watching NO rain fade on C band for 23 years I really can't accept it on ku. Used to aggravate me when RTN was going down all the time on G-10. We know the story there.

Direct is a new toy to play with and a new hurdle to achieve excellence in. I will enjoy getting all I can out of it and give my advice here for those interested in my crazy idea's. We actually need to start a trend for those interested to make the move to a mini bud for pizza. I know the tech nuts here would enjoy the benefits from it. Some people are limited to pizza size dishes only but there are ones that don't mind and can have supersized pizza :)

Mini buds on pizza... what a concept :D :up

oh I know. I have to give you crap because when I got Directv all the "hardcore" 4DTV guys gave me crap ;)

oh I know. I have to give you crap because when I got Directv all the "hardcore" 4DTV guys gave me crap ;)

I did it Ice because I use my bud for programming and seen the writing on the wall for sometime. Didn't expect it to happen so fast though and really wanted it to start getting better. NPS and Charlie did the dirty deed in February and buried us. I figured getting Direct would at least get me my channels I watch plus ones we lost on C band. The nice thing about it is Charlie, NPS, or Motorola (the three big players in the demise) don't get a nickle from me so I feel I did my part to not buy into their dirty plan.

Just remember one thing Ice, I don't have pizza, I have mini bud Direct :D ;)

Its so sad that D & E has chosen to play with picture quality in order to add so many channels. I just wish adding a larger dish could & would improve picture quality.

I Recently added Skyangel to my setup, and have used an older ADS upconverter I had, the picture quality is very close to or equal to some of the HD lite of today. Even the picture quality without the upconverter is so much better than the SD of Dish Network.

When the Direct installer came out I was showing him my bud and fta ku. He thought everything I went to was HD. I said nope SD :)

When the Direct installer came out I was showing him my bud and fta ku. He thought everything I went to was HD. I said nope SD :)

So are you saying the picture was actually that much better, or did was the installer just saying that? Please say more about the picture quality compared to a slimline.

I did it Ice because I use my bud for programming and seen the writing on the wall for sometime. Didn't expect it to happen so fast though and really wanted it to start getting better.

I know ;)
I went to D* for MLB Net and my local teams (mainly the Twins)

So are you saying the picture was actually that much better, or did was the installer just saying that? Please say more about the picture quality compared to a slimline.

C band is the master feed's that Direct, Dish, Cable, etc use. They are the best of the best. SD masters look like HD lite. HD masters blow you away. There is only so much bandwidth the consumer services have and they cram as many channels they can into a transponder. When that happens something has to give and that's picture quality. Direct does an okay job but can't compare to the original masters, there is no way.

Right now HBO HD Master Feed's are ITC on C band. It is reported that it looks better than FIOS and FIOS is about the best consumer HD out there, Direct is second. The masters are true eye candy with NO artifacts. Most of the HD & SD masters I've seen are the same.

Here's a few screencaps:

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/ionhd1.png

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/fnchd.jpg

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/hsnhd.jpghttp://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/hsn hd.jpg

Last edited:
tvropro,

sorry to hijack your thread, but had a question about the 1.2 meter dish:

The website that has the 1.2 meter dish for $159.99 also has these options:

add
110/119 kit (alaska/hawaii) ( +$50.00 ) (+6lbs)
99/101/103 kit (alaska/hawaii) ( +$120.00 ) (+8lbs)
AZ/EL mount (alaska/hawaii) ( +$180.00 ) (+12lbs)
roof/wall mount (alaska/hawaii) ( +$170.00 ) (+10lbs)
SF 100 meter + jump cable + tool ( +$12.00 ) (+0.4lbs)

So to get 99/101/103 you would need:
Dish $159.99
99/101/103 kit $120.00
AZ/EL mount $180.00
Total $459.99

I sent them an email, but have not heard from them yet. I can't get one yet, but some ppl down "south" have been looking hard for a set-up like this. :)

C band is the master feed's that Direct, Dish, Cable, etc use. They are the best of the best. SD masters look like HD lite. HD masters blow you away. There is only so much bandwidth the consumer services have and they cram as many channels they can into a transponder. When that happens something has to give and that's picture quality. Direct does an okay job but can't compare to the original masters, there is no way.

Right now HBO HD Master Feed's are ITC on C band. It is reported that it looks better than FIOS and FIOS is about the best consumer HD out there, Direct is second. The masters are true eye candy with NO artifacts. Most of the HD & SD masters I've seen are the same.

Here's a few screencaps:

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/ionhd1.png

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/fnchd.jpg

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/hsnhd.jpghttp://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/hsn hd.jpg

Well I would hope so, if we couild all have full bandwidth per channel we'd have very few channels but GREAT picture.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts