GEOSATpro New Receiver?

What is the USB port limitation?
Well, what I would consider a limitaion, or maybe an oversight is that it can be damaged by plugging in devices that draw too much current and not just simply power the port off untill the over load is removed. Similar to a notebook (not all, but have seen this on a Toshiba notebook) that gives a device overcurrent message and disables the port. Once the device is removed and the notebook power cycled, the port is working again.
Now, this is easily overcome by remembering to only use externally powered devices that draw excessive current.

Protection from repeated current draw over limit is not an USB protocol and is not implemented on any satellite receiver that I have ever tested. Over 15k microHD units distributed and five USB port failures in 10 months.... Hmmmm.... Hardware problem? I would suggest that there is no USB hardware issue as you suggest. The numbers don't back up your assertion.

As I recall, the drive that may have caused the USB failure was not sent in with the RMA, so we were not able to determine the actual cause of the failure. That portable HDD model is now provided with an external power supply by the manufacturer as they acknowledged that it could draw in excess of the USB specification. Their representative indicated to me that the device likely exceeded the USB rating during spin-up and sustained usage. Portable drives are not designed for continuous throughput so the rating was based on occasional use back-ups and DVR usage would have increased the current draw.

You have made a great observation regarding the possible damage that could result of repeatedly exceeding the published rating on any port of any satellite receiver or other electronic device, yet it is certainly not unique to the microHD.

Last edited:
PCs can have problems with portable bus-powered hard drives as well. Another issue with this type of drive is the length of the USB cable; It cannot exceed a foot or so, or the drive will generally refuse to spin up.

Wall wart-powered drives are much more reliable.

I don t understand,why experimenting with "new" chipsets,which are
worser in many functions, than "older" solutions?

Build a box with STm frontend....tuner 6110 + enhanced Demod 900
and you got all you need blindscan hw,apsk,acm,vcm,multi and generic stream.

Use a Sigma Dsp,which handle nearly all formats ,including Mpeg 4:2:2.

I m sure ,chinese can build "all" for their Oems ,the only big problem ,would be
to get an excellent working firmware on it.

And i can tell you,this box would be good sold also in europe!

Have no idea if Novatek has any ATSC development with the 78xxx chipsets. No ATSC defined in the SDK.
If you are targeting the North American market, You need to support ATSC, 4:2:2 Video, and Fast DVB/S2 Blind Scan. The receiver should be networked with full access to recorded video files.

...The receiver should be networked with full access to recorded video files.
I've asked for this functionality, too.
Sadly, not enough people understand the value of the feature to demand such capability.

Also, the picture of the back panel doesn't have a CAT5, so we're out of luck. :down

I've asked for this functionality, too.
Sadly, not enough people understand the value of the feature to demand such capability.

Also, the picture of the back panel doesn't have a CAT5, so we're out of luck. :down
That would be S W E E T !

Network is supported via the USB port via WiFi or cat dongle. We currently offer a weather and YouTube apps. May add a browser at a future time.

The USB port supports hubs and up to four 8TB drives. The HDVR1200 recognizes network drives via the LAN connection and we are exploring other options.

I will once again confirm that the HDVR1200 DOES NOT support 4:2:2... :deadhorse: :dead

Bingo!

Network is supported via the USB port via WiFi or cat dongle.
. . .
The HDVR1200 recognizes network drives via the LAN connection and we are exploring other options.
I hope I'm not just seeing what I want go see.
This brings whole new functionality to anyone with media players at each TV!
(and apparently at zero cost burden for those who don't use it!) :up

Fat Air said:
That would be S W E E T !

We will officially what it can and cannot do when the official FTA support is announced. Until then do not read into anything except what We have written..... :D

Network is supported via the USB port via WiFi or cat dongle. We currently offer a weather and YouTube apps. May add a browser at a future time.

The USB port supports hubs and up to four 8TB drives. The HDVR1200 recognizes network drives via the LAN connection and we are exploring other options.

I will once again confirm that the HDVR1200 DOES NOT support 4:2:2... :deadhorse: :dead

USB is too slow for effective networking, and the processor that you've selected probably won't handle it either. Why not consider something like the Intel dual core Atom (2.3 Gig) processor. You wouldn't need dedicated hardware for MPEG decoding and 4:2:2 software decoding wouldn't be an issue.

My AZBox HD has wired ethernet networking, but performance wise, it fails miserably. It takes 20 minutes to transfer a 2GB recording file to backup storage. Wifi transfers are even slower. The Sigma Designs processor, although it contains dedicated MPEG decoding hardware, is just too slow to do an effective job.

I am in the market for a higher performing product. I am sure that there are others here as well that would be interested.

I mentioned the Atom processor because I recently purchased an Asustor AS-608T Raid Array that's based on this processor. I'm getting network transfer rates in excess of 100 Megabytes per second. That 2GB video file transfers over the network in less than 20 seconds (compared to 20 minutes with the AZBox Sigma Designs processor). Power consumption of the Raid Array with the drives spinning is under 40 Watts and much less when they're not. Open source player software such as VLC doesn't have an issue with 4:2:2 video. It can handle just about anything.

There is a market here for higher end equipment. AZBox is pretty much dead so there's not much competition. Why not consider developing this type of product?

Last edited:

Anole, I've been running networked media players at each TV for years. The dedicated players such as those from Popcornhour and Dune are pretty much bug free and do a better job than most satellite receivers with media player functionality. I was a Beta tester for Popcornhour's Model C-200 player. This model has an electable front panel SATA hard drive slot (I'm running with a 1TB drive). Network transfer speed is still a sore issue with most of these players (not much better than the AZBox). I usually end up pulling the drive to do large transfers.

My Asustor AS-608T Raid Array is an interesting beast. It comes with an HDMI connector on the rear panel (as well as USB3 and ESATA ports). This could potentially become a stand alone media player. Right now, they use a Boxee software application to drive the HDMI output. An XBMC App currently being ported to the device.

More interesting - There is an application for off the air TV viewing. Right now only DVB-T USB TV tuners are supported. That's not a far hop from DVB-S2.

The atom processor is already available from Logicsupply for about 150 delivered and seemed to work with the microHD, according to the Canadian Comm truck guys. For the +/- 98% of us who have no idea how it would work - or why we would want it -- I say,"keep the cost down."

That is NOT to say do not develop a plug-in box to do ALL those things. Add the G-Box functions to it... Add Rocu / iTunes / 4.2.2 decoding (oh - that is there) and maybe two way serial / USB so the Atom controls the STB over your LAN ... Six tuners -- or just one SDR? 36 channel video/audio recording from as many dishes as you want to hook up??? SDR will do it. Linux, Mac? Windozze?

Then add a headset and microphone so you can do remote ham radio from the same box. Then you are modular - (somewhat) and upgrading - well it is SDR, mainly just software uploads. And yes, the Atom box can run on 12VDC.

Back to my hole.

I am in the market for a higher performing product. I am sure that there are others here as well that would be interested.
<<Snip>>
There is a market here for higher end equipment. AZBox is pretty much dead so there's not much competition. Why not consider developing this type of product?

You are correct in your observation and observing that the GEOSATpro HDVR1200 wasn't primarily developed for the advanced hobbyist and certainly would not be considered for your purchase based on your needs.

The HDVR1200's market is not primarily targeting the FTA market. This receiver has been released as a service receiver for Glorystar and it will also be released as a FTA model when the feature set is fully developed. The focus of this model's development is on providing a great solution for broadcasters DTH (direct to home) distribution using DVBS / S2. This is the reason that we have not solicited input from the hobbyists or forum members on the model's features. The typical Glorystar customer is not needing the advanced functions and features, so why build it into the box?

The HDVR1200 was not designed as a media server. It is not designed to be the hub of a multimedia center or the Swissknife of satellite reception for non DTH formats. It is a solid DVR capable DVBS S2 MPEG2/4 h.264 receiver meant to be a strong performer providing years of reliable service in a typical customers home. Glorystar is the bread and butter that has paid for the development and support of great FTA products. The HDVR1200 is an investment in the continued success of Glorystar. It just so happens that the same platform will provide an excellent experience for the typical FTA market customer.

The atom processor is already available from Logicsupply for about 150 delivered and seemed to work with the microHD, according to the Canadian Comm truck guys..

I saw Atom motherboards starting at $79.00 at Logicsupply, but that's not a complete integrated solution with tuners and software.

The CA. Sat Truck guys are members here, but I doubt they will speak up, as they have asked me to give no specifics of their capabilities to the competition.
That being said, Software Defined (or is it Designed) Radio == SDRs are well covered in ARRL magazines with references to source codes/materials. I have read a lot more than I understand - but Ubunti(?) source code for SDR and decoders are abundant and listed - and the recommended Atom unit has multi usb and db9 connectors. One user of the USB sound cards stated he had 16 working at one time -- I do not know -- I just read it on his linix blog. Oh BTW - my old comment - that was not an analogue signal... Oh, look for USB SDR, also. (and I was looking for easy to "build" SDR ham radios -- not easy for me, so I gave up.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)