New rescue: NSC12-1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Danham

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Normandy, France
Nice dish Gillham, you will find out that plays real good, will run with the 1.2m CM, or perform a little bit better not by much but it does when you start you're fine tuning. Have the same dish here that I fab on a old horizon motor mount. an they are old about the 1st time I have seen these models was early to mid 80's.

now on the feed legs that dish took 3-legs to a aluminum block, an the legs bolted to the to the dish 1 at bottom, 2 on the side, (should see 1/4" holess on the edges of the dish) an they where made out of metal pipe about 3/4" diameter. so they should be able to be made fairly easy, I can give you how long that they need to be, an also F/L. also the Channel Master feed support, (black plastic) will also work on that dish tried 1 but went back to its metal 1 gave me more adjustment.

will give you what I found on setting mine up here, used a laser pointer, dewalt zip tied to the end of a Channel Master ku feed, an if you will draw a line across in a X patern from its 4 mounting locations of where the mount gos that is where my laser shot to.

Hello from Normandy!
A friend of mine, radio amateur, gave me a satellite dish "Northern Satellite Corp. Model NSC12-1" this week.
I rescued the dish and all I have is the bracket mount, three feed legs and a Gardiner LNB.
I don't have any of the mount hardware and I have no idea of the way the three legs were attached to the disk and how the LNB was set to the legs. There are some missing parts like the feed support and the parts to fasten the feed legs to the dish.
I have to ask 1captain to give me some specs and measurements from his to start working on this rescue project: how long the legs need to be, how the legs are bolted to the dish and how to build the feed support.
Pictures will tell the tale best.
Many thanks,
Daniel P1020802.JPGP1020803.JPGP1020804.JPGP1020805.JPGP1020806.JPGP1020808.JPGP1020809.JPGP1020812.JPGP1020813.JPG

It's green enough, lol. Should be a good one. Don't see the captain on here much lately , but maybe he will read your post and come to the rescue.

If you have everything that's in the pictures,it looks like you have all you need,except for maybe the bolts to screw it all together.
Pic 3 is the mount for the dish,the bracket on the back,of the dish, should just slide on to it.Pic 9 shows the struts for the feedhorn,the 2 long ones bolt to either side of the dish,note the holes in the rim,and the short one to the bottom.Then it looks like the ring on the feed has holes in it to attach it to the struts.
Looks like it was originally roof mounted,so you might have to do something different if you don't want to put it on the roof.A pole in the ground or something like that.
A can of spray paint might be in order too,because ,well,it's greeeeeeennn : )

Anole, have you started selling dishes? :D

Seriously, that's the first green dish I've ever seen. I'm green with envy! ;)

As for the hardware, the LNB is highly specialized. Note the L.O. of 11475! And the 1.2 noise factor... The mount looks to be some sort of flange. Can you get straight-on pics of where the LNB bolts to the feedhorn?

Dan,

That looks like a good dish. You have most of the major hardware, just missing the pieces that you mentioned. Would be nice to see if you can find some pictures of the same dish installed somewhere with everything attached so you have a pattern to go by, but I bet you can Red Green it and get it working.

If you are not familiar with the Red Green method, it involves a lot of duct tape, bailing wire and zip ties. Red Green is a comedy show from our neighbors to the North (Salute Canada!). Check it out sometime on You Tube if you are not already aware of the show. You'll like it, he's funny as heck! Anyway, the dish is GREEN so you have it half right! LOL :D Sorry, never have seen a dish so green.

What are the dimensions of this dish? I can't judge very well from photos, but if I had to guess I would say it looks to be about 28-32 inches (70-80 cm) wide and maybe 32-36 inches (80-90 cm) tall. Am I close? That might be a nice dish for Ku band. Possibly a little on the small side, but not too bad. I have several dishes including a 76 cm dish that works really well for much of our Ku band standard def signals here in the US.

RADAR

Great info guys. Yes, well, it's greeeeeeennn :). I will use a can of white spray paint but the guy who gave me the dish told me to be careful and use a special kind of paint if I didn't want to degrade the focusing properties.
Now I am more familiar with the Red Green method. I Have checked out the comedy show on You Tube - No, not all of the 300 episodes - and I am not sure I want to work like that : ).
The dimensions of the dish are 48 inches wide and 54 inches tall. I have tried all the possible ways to put together the struts for the feedhorn: the struts seem to be too long and the holes are not aligned with the ones on the feed. Trying the other side is worse. I am wondering if I got the right struts or what are the missing parts and how they were. You can see on the pics.
Daniel

P1020822.JPGP1020821.JPGP1020820.JPGP1020819.JPGP1020818.JPGP1020817.JPGP1020823.JPGP1020824.JPG

Looks like it is probably a standard 40mm neck clamp. You can measure the clamp to be sure, but its a good bet that you can replace that LNB/feedhorn with an ordinary LNBF.

Looking at the LNB itself, it seems like there is a feedhorn bolted to the front. If so, unbolt the LNB from the feedhorn and check the interface. If it is a common C-120 flange, you can leave the original feedhorn in place and replace only the LNB. This is preferable if possible to using an ordinary, one piece LNBF, since the feedhorn is probably matched to the dish.

Not sure how the struts work, but if that feed clamp is correct for the dish, it will only fit one way.

Last edited:
Dan,

I wouldn't paint that dish. It's OK being green. Seriously, if you used the wrong type of paint, it could create problems. The chemicals within some paints may react with the dish material and it could virtually turn to goo or turn brittle and crack. I'd just leave it green. Besides that, you'll have the special consideration of having the the only "green dish" that we are aware of (or at least the first). Maybe we will give you a new nickname... Mr. Green Jeans! :) That's another reflection on an old time American television show (for kids back in the 60's). From the Captain Kangaroo show. It's a very honorable nickname, but I will let you research it.

The dish is larger than I guessed. That's good! Should be a nice dish when you get the assembly and parts figured out. If you work on the research, you can figure out the accurate focal point and distance and you can fabricate the LNBF support arms pretty darned close to make this dish useful once again.

RADAR

P.S. Hope you enjoyed what you found regarding Red Green! He's kinda crazy, eh? LOL!

Being an offset dish the feed would not be mounted to point straight down at the center.Try angling the side struts down so that the ends meet lower out on the dish.The bottom strut may have gotten bent so adjust accordingly.Try bolting the struts to the outside of the ring.The feed should be relatively low on the dish pointing at an angle up towards the center.
Of course you may not have gotten the right parts with the dish which does complicate things.

If you look at the second picture in the link catamount posted above,that's more or less how your feed should look.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)