New RTV shows

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I hate to say this because I really used to love RTV when I first found out about them but after they messed up the video down to a much lower quality, things started changing and not for the better. IMO.........

On very, very rare occasions I might find something on Tuff TV at midnight, some silly old B horror movie. That infantile show with the guy in KISS makeup that interrupts the movie constantly with snide remarks is annoying and really ruins the movie, for me, IMO. Other than a rare happening upon an old movie at midnight, there is ~nothing~ at all on TUFF TV that I have any use for.

That Wolfman Mack show is just as infantile if not worse with all the burping and farting injected into the movies. That may be funny to a 10yro boy but these things air at times that grownups would be watching and the kids would be in bed asleep. Again, more movies ruined with potty humor.

I like Daytime but Dave is gone and this new guy, I'm not so much giggled up with. He just doesn't do it for me. :(
Cyndi is as always, way cool.. :)

And I do understand that Daytime is not a production of RTV so I have no complaint with RTV about the host shake up there.

I like Leave it to Beaver and I like Adam 12 and Dragnet but I think now I've seen most all of the episodes and they may be recycling some of them so I'm to the point now that if I miss an episode of Adam-12 or Dragnet I don't get upset because I probably have seen it anyway.

That stupid Cold Case thing they put on late night is just plain stupid. Blah! I liked the Suspense theater but they dropped that for Cold Case. I think they nuked Alfred Hitchcock too.

So really there is almost nothing left on RTV or TUFF that interests me anymore.

I'm sure that TUFF TV is a big hit with you guys cause it's pure guy stuff.

I am sad to say that I've lost almost all interest in RTV now. I really hope they get back to their roots and and bring back some oldies and bring back some stuff that might be a little more appealing to the other half of the population. It would be tragic if RTV went down the same tube that TV Land went.

I could comment on all the loopy UFO/Alien/Big Foot/gun contests/Larry the Cable Guy nonsense on History channel but that would be off topic.

I really need to put up those big Cband dishes. I have ~everything~ I need to do it now but I am not capable of doing the labor. All I can do is save up and hire someone to do it for me. Or, drag it all to the curb and just stop watching TV totally.

Or, the option that I really don't want to exercise, pizza TV. I just hate that you can't record anything anymore. And that it's massively over priced. $100+ a month since you can't pick and choose channels, you have to pick "packages", and the channels I want, are in the highest priced packages. And really, I only want a few dozen channels total. I don't need 500 channels of BS for $150 a month. That's stupid.

And with prices of everything skyrocketing (gas, food, etc) I really can't afford pizza TV anyway..

:(

Agreed about MeTV... I could watch that channel all day long and never be disappointed. It's just one great show after another, with no annoying pop-ups or infomercials. The shows aren't butchered either. Watching a double dose of The Beverly Hillbillies as I type this ;) ...

Dee it's time to get that C band dish up somehow and tune to Me TV. I find myself watching it more than RTV lately. Plenty of old and new favorites.

I know.. I wish I could. But I'm physically unable to do ~anything~ now. I had major surgery a few weeks ago and I am restricted from lifting anything more than 10lbs for the next two months.

I was delusional to think that I could have dug those holes, put those poles in them, made the cement and put it in the hole even before I went under the knife.
Now, it's impossible. Under the very best of circumstances, it will be months before I can even consider such lunacy again. And the way things are going (which is not good) I may never be able to do stuff like that ever again.

My only possible option now is to hire someone to do all that work for me and I have no idea where to even begin. I doubt there are any people left around the area that know how to put up those giant dishes any more.

I know I can't afford to pay anyone to do that sort of work at this time, I will have to save up for that. I've been demoted from shopping at Walmart to shopping at Dollar Tree and the 99 cent stores.. Oh, and Goodwill. Sunday and Monday at Goodwill all clothes are 99 cents. :D I can dig that!

As always, this project is dead in the water like every other thing I want to do. :(

Agreed about MeTV... I could watch that channel all day long and never be disappointed. It's just one great show after another, with no annoying pop-ups or infomercials. The shows aren't butchered either. Watching a double dose of The Beverly Hillbillies as I type this ;) ...

I wish.. I can only dream of having that luxury..

I know.. I wish I could. But I'm physically unable to do ~anything~ now. I had major surgery a few weeks ago and I am restricted from lifting anything more than 10lbs for the next two months.

I am sorry to hear that Dee Ann =(, i hope you have a speedy recovery. It can be, well, it actually is something that will drive you nuts, not being able to do what you want whenever you want without having to depend of somebody to do it, really its something we are never fully prepared to. I went through something similar when i blew my knee, but i am back =), more careful, but back nonetheless.

=)

I just saw "Saved By the Bell" airing on 4 or 5 of the RTV channels on AMC3. I don't think this show is on their current schedule. Are any other shows new?

I have noticed that the episodes of mash have some scenes that were cut out. I am a big fan of that show and when watching it on ME-TV I see a part in an episode that i have never seen before. Gotta love that channel...Oh yeah, I now have a new favorite show that I can't believe I had never seen until now. 12 O'clock High. I have been a "Combat" fan for years but had never seen 12 O'Clock High. I sometimes have trouble staying up to watch it cause it's on at 1 am my time. It is a great show !

Woohoo! Rent-a-man to the rescue!

I was visiting today with my neighbor and her man was off work for a few days medical leave and I got a chance to talk to him and ask him if he would do the labor to install my BIG satellite dishes. And he said he would! I described to him what needs to be done in full detail (digging 2 holes 6' x 16", mixing 32 sacks of cement and putting it in the holes) and I asked him how much he would charge me to do it. He told me "Fix that d**n computer there and I'll do it."

I told him that was not fair at all to him and told him I would fix his computer and pay him two hundred dollars to do the work and he said "Oh no, that's way too much!" and then I asked him if he would accept $100 for doing it and he said he would but that he thought it was only worth $50 but I insisted on paying him $100 and he accepted. He said if I get the cement to my house and rent a hole driller, he would do it. :D

Awesome!

So, we decided to try and do this not this weekend but the following weekend. That gives me time to get things together.
I have a van and my dad has a van so we would have to split the cement sacks over two vans, 16 sacks each van.
Then get the driller/digger thing over here and we can use my John Deere riding mower and it's little trailer to carry the cement from the front yard to the back yard.
I have no doubt he can do the work, he works on scaffolding and he's pretty darn fit looking.. ;)

So, finally, at loooooong last, I am just about to get my big dishes put up! OMG!
I'm so flippin happy! @party

Sounds like a deal! Way to go! :up
Make sure you pay him after the work is done or your saga will just drag on! :sob:

Sounds like a deal! Way to go! :up
Make sure you pay him after the work is done or your saga will just drag on! :sob:

Indeed. And NO BEER.... I've done that before, paid guys with 12 packs of beer to do work for me and that, well, never goes right..
I'll pay the man in full, with a crisp Benjamin when he's done. If he wants beer, he can buy it after everything is finished and he's paid and back at his house, then he can indulge all he wants. But not on the job! I learned my lesson with that.

I talked to my dad a while ago and he said that $100 was a really good deal (for me) and that anyone else would have charged me a whole lot more than that because that's a lot of hard work. Dad is going to call around tomorrow and try to find the hole digger but he said he doesn't think they make one that darn big (16" x 6') so there's a chance that this whole deal may go south if the guy has to dig the hole by hand. THEN, it could get way expensive. So I dunno. We'll find out more tomorrow I guess. I'm just excited that FINALLY, I am getting close to having a wicked cool system that gets lots of cool channels! Woohoo!!!

Great, Dee! Now you'll be able to discover the wonders on AMC-3 (87W)! I'm sure it will become your favorite satellite, as it has mine. Watching the content there has cut severely into my feed hunting and PBS watching ;) ...

:river

Deal off...

The guy that was gonna do the work for me? His girilfriend (my neighbor & friend) kicked him to the curb. She caught him cheating on her and she packed his stuff and set it by the side of the road and he's history..

No Cband... :river

I don't know what to do now... :(

You should put up a ad on craigslist asking for some help. Some people will do it for free on their spare time. Never underestimate the good in SOME people lol

Dee, if you could find someone locally who installed C-Band dishes back in the day (before Dish and DirecTV took over), I'm sure they'd be able to set your dish up. Try calling some satellite TV dealers or electronics stores locally, and you might find someone who knows someone. You might also look for any local VSAT installers (companies that install the Ku dishes on stores, service stations, etc.) If I lived closer, I'd drop by and help.

Actually I'm pretty low on funds and I'm seriously considering taking that little 6' dish apart and storing it. It's sitting outside with a mop flopped over it, full of leaves and already rusting. It's also already bent up which is my fault because I'm a clumsy klutz and I had trouble assembling it. In my kitchen.. :eek:

The 10 footer, well grass is growing up through it.
There is a big ring that bolts to the backside of it and the guides are rusted away. My dad told me to get the dish all bolted up properly so he could lay the ring on the back of it and tack weld new guides in place then take the ring back to his house to weld them properly.

I had trouble getting the 4 panels bolted together and gave up. I guess I should loosen all the bolts, then get all the other bolts in that I can't get in now and THEN tighten them all up. I need to like make a harness to tie to a tree so I can like, hang over the dish to get the bolts near the center. I can't imagine how anyone put the dang thing together to begin with! :confused:

My friend's BF, was going to dig the holes, mix the cement and plant the poles for $50 but I told him that was too cheap for that much work and tried to offer to pay more but he said "I don't need the money, I work in a refinery and this is small time stuff to me." So I told him I would just give the money to his girlfriend and he said "Well I can't stop you from that." and she was sitting there nodding her head like "Heck yeah, I'll take it!"...

But like 2 days after that they had WWIII over there when she caught him cheating on the internet and kicked him out. She's my friend so out of respect I am not going to attempt to locate him or even ask her how to get in touch with him. That would be kinda crummy of me to have him over to my house after how he did her, she's my friend first, not him. If that makes any sense.

My dad is like 74 so there's no way he can do it and I know that it's impossible for me to do it so now everything is going to poo out in the backyard.

My dad told me that had I actually been able to get that guy to do that work for $100 that would have been a steal, that there is no way I would ever find anyone to do something that hard for that cheap.

Well, I guess it's time to take things apart and put them back in storage before they get damaged and more rusty, at least until I can find someone to do the work.

More and more, I'm thinking about getting pizza TV, if only I could record it. I like very much being able to pause and rewind live TV and record shows to keep forever if I want. I dunno... :(

Attachments

• IMG_1841.resized.JPG
    IMG_1841.resized.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1842.resized.JPG
    IMG_1842.resized.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 169
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)