New Sat Scheduled to Launch in Oct, x2 capacity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I was wondering IF this "new" SAT Bandwidth in OCT will come "from higher in the sky" than their present SAT - so those of us on the RIGHT = West Coast will get a better signal?

TKS

Would be somewhat higher, but would still have to be in close proximity to the existing satellite for a single stationary dish to pick up both.

Hey, a few degrees is HUGE when you are low on the horizon. The DirecTV triple LNB dish can get 101, 110 and 119. That is 18' of range. Grab a protractor and look at the horizon and compare. You will find that extra couple of degrees will add a lot of clearance.

If I were Voom, I would move the primary channels to the Western-most slot. Make the less desireable channels on the Eastern slot. Then, you might have some people who could not get both birds can still get most of the channels we have now, or the equivalent.

If I were Voom, I would move the primary channels to the Western-most slot. Make the less desireable channels on the Eastern slot. Then, you might have some people who could not get both birds can still get most of the channels we have now, or the equivalent.
Let's not forget, the new 72 degrees slot requires a much larger dish -- about 20" x 35" as compared to 18" x 18". The larger dish is required because it's a FSS slot; FSS slots reside every two degrees (DBS uses nine degree spacing), so a larger elliptical dish is necessary to differentiate between them.

Some percentage of customers will not be willing to accept the upgrade to a 20" x 35" dish (which receives both satellite locations), even if it is free. They can't take away what these customers have now, so the core programming will have to remain at the current 61.5 slot for the small dish. New channels -- like HD RSNs, sports packages, and PPV -- make sense at the 72 degree slot which uses the larger dish. VOOM may use the new slot for some new SD channels (HGTV, FOOD, etc) until the MPEG-4 transition is complete. After every customer has the MPEG-4 module upgrade installed -- this may take a few months -- they can transition SD to MPEG-4 and move the new SD channels to the smaller dish.

Attachments

• SuperDISH.jpg
    SuperDISH.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 135
cyberized said:
so those of us on the RIGHT = West Coast

TKS,

I guess you are facing Mexico :) You can run but you can't get away from being a Left Coaster :)

Ken F said:
New channels -- like HD RSNs, sports packages, and PPV -- make sense at the 72 degree slot which uses the larger dish.
ummm? did i miss something? Has voom announced an intent to carry sports subscriptions, RSNs etc? Or is all of this just more wild speculation that will bring in subscribers until voom doesnt deliver as speculated?

vurbano said:
ummm? did i miss something? Has voom announced an intent to carry sports subscriptions, RSNs etc? Or is all of this just more wild speculation that will bring in subscribers until voom doesnt deliver as speculated?
You read that wrong. He was just saying that Voom would most likely use this new bird for those things because there will be some folks that won't accept the new dish so the core programming will have to remain on the current bird. Have you had a bad couple of weeks or what Vurbano? What has happened to the defiant Voom "cheerleader"? I'm just ribbin' you about the "title" given to you by the D* boys over at AVS. Seriously though, have you just finally reached your breaking point on the lack of variety on the V* exclusives? What was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back?

wasch_24 said:
You read that wrong. He was just saying that Voom would most likely use this new bird for those things because there will be some folks that won't accept the new dish so the core programming will have to remain on the current bird. Have you had a bad couple of weeks or what Vurbano? What has happened to the defiant Voom "cheerleader"? I'm just ribbin' you about the "title" given to you by the D* boys over at AVS. Seriously though, have you just finally reached your breaking point on the lack of variety on the V* exclusives? What was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back?
sorry, I guess your right. In a thread entitled new satellite launch, I guess I should have expected that everything in it would be speculation. LMAO.

vurbano said:

Yes, because other satellite providers deliver as promised/speculated. Now, should I switch to Dish Network and get their PVR-921 to hook to my D-VHS deck via firewire and have their new Super Dish system, or should I switch to DirecTV and get their HD-TiVo, which should be in plentiful supply so that you can just walk into a store and pick one up in June and use it to record their 3x the HDTV channels any day now?

Wow, promise 39 HDTV channels and only deliver 35 to get what, agnry people who threaten to switch to a provider that has 6 channels of HDTV?

Mr.Poindexter said:
Hey, a few degrees is HUGE when you are low on the horizon. The DirecTV triple LNB dish can get 101, 110 and 119. That is 18' of range. Grab a protractor and look at the horizon and compare. You will find that extra couple of degrees will add a lot of clearance.

Hope not--some here on the EAST coast have the same problem withnsome of D* and E* being to LOW more for the middle and west coast..so I am happy where it is!! :)

Caution! The E* 921 does not have firewire in its current content nor will it ever. The port is being taped over on 921s currently being delivered. You will have to wait for the next unit the 922 which is due sometime this winter! :rolleyes:

Would voom ever put a sat higher in the sky? Doesnt dish net have a sat around the voom sat location, but now has a dish net sat close to D* sat (higher in the sky)? I wonder whats the story on the dish net second sat. Does their first sat at the 61 location serve anything? Seems everyones dish net dish is now aimed at the second sat location. hummmm?

randym431 said:
Would voom ever put a sat higher in the sky? Doesnt dish net have a sat around the voom sat location, but now has a dish net sat close to D* sat (higher in the sky)? I wonder whats the story on the dish net second sat. Does their first sat at the 61 location serve anything? Seems everyones dish net sat is now aimed at the second sat location. hummmm?

Rainbow 1 is currently at 61.5 and the one they are leasing will be at 72 degrees. Dish Network also has a satellite at 61.5 but it is not Rainbow 1. If you could picture them sort of on "top of each other" with enough distance in between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)